Looking Ahead to Mojave: What About Those 32-Bit Apps in Your Mac?

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Clix Pix, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Unfortunately that is a long list for me. Dang.

Actually, it appears they will still run under Mojave, but with aggressive warnings:

Apple has confirmed that macOS 10.14 Mojave, set for public release in the fall, will be the last version of macOS to allow 32-bit apps to run, but it will include more "aggressive" warnings about their use before they are phased out entirely.

2. I imagine that in some instances, between now and September (or whenever Mojave is released) some developers will have worked on their apps to make them 64-bit, too.

For me, only three apps are 32-bit, and since two of them are Apple's own, either they'll be updated to 64-bit or they aren't something that is needed and used anyway. That's good that 32-bit programs will still run under Mojave after all, as I'd had the impression that they wouldn't be able to do so.

3. My early '11 is not Mojave compliant, so I no longer care about 64 bit apps. Thanks Apple.

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing

Oct 15, 2008
    GA
    Personal computer is still on Sierra...won't be upgrading to HS. None of this will be an issue for me at this moment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    I doubt I’ll update the OS on either of my macs, what I have is working great and from what I’ve seen I have no compelling reason
    to update.

6. crazy

crazy

Feb 5, 2009
    NC
    We’ll see what we see. Hope abounds that the early Mac Pro 4,1 to 5,1 firmware upgrade and video card replacement I did to run High Sierra will carry through to Mojave.

I have faith in the anti-obsolence movement to enable my warhorse to carry me through at least 1 more war.

7. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I have a long list too but many are programs I rarely use - Photo Mechanic and Media Pro are the ones I want updated the most.
    I had believed they needed to be updated by Mojave; it is good to know I have more time.

8. So far, Apple's official statement is that 10.14 will not run 32bit apps "without compromise", and they haven't clearly explained what that means.

To find out I suppose one would need to install the beta, but none of the four Macs here are supported. We run Snow Leopard and Sierra. We could of upgraded to High Sierra, but an unfinished new file system with volume and networking compatibility issues did not flip the right switches for us.

As a total Mac shop since day one, Apple needs to offer us a computer that is more than glued together, everything soldered to the motherboard, iDevice-like construction, but that is simply not where they've been heading since Steve died.

Kinda sad... been what most would describe as a fan boy for decades. In recent years, not so much.

As for 32-bit, I have a number of utils and doo dads that I use daily that will never see 64-bit support (some we have written ourselves), so it is a shame Apple is pulling the plug on it.

I suppose this is all in preparation for yet another architecture change on the Mac platform. This could be a big deal, or just more of the same. Much like Nikon Mirrorless, we'll have to wait and see.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Not a big issue for me. I'll need to find a newer version of MS Office (or just ditch Office. Excel is the only thing I use with any regularity and then it's basic stuff.)

Of greater concern is Apple's long, slow disengagement from desktop computing. To be fair, MS has been doing the same but they have the corporate market to consider which isn't abandoning the desktop any time soon. I am sure that there will be more Macs but the lack of any hardware announcements at WWDC and other software moves indicate to me that within the coming decade Macs may cease to be manufactured. And before that eventuality I am pretty sure that the "value proposition" of Macs will cease to attract me.

My plan is to hold what I've got and when the iMac and/or MBPro become unrepairable (due to lack of parts or cost) I will have some decisions to make. I know that I am not part of the "demographic" for either of the big two. Geezerhood is a burden.

• Like Like x 2
  10. william hortis

william hortis

Nov 30, 2013
    Made the decision yesterday after the news no more support for my £850 Apple Watch series 1 that after being a fanboy for more years than I care to remember NO MORE APPLE PURCHASES FOR ME.

11. I was not in the least surprised to learn that my Apple Watch Series 0 (first generation) will not be able to download and install WatchOS 5. In fact I was surprised that it even was able to do WatchOS 4! That is one reason last fall I bought the Apple Watch Series 3 and have been enjoying it these past few months....and I still wear my older one from time to time as well. Another reason for my decision was that I was concerned that Apple would discontinue the Space Black Stainless Steel, and I wanted to grab an updated version while I still could. The matching black link band, which came with the first-generation watch, is already no longer available.

As far as the whole desktop thing, it seems as though in general people are moving more and more towards mobility, and the sales of laptops, regardless of manufacturer, outshine desktops by a fairly large margin. I am one who has only laptops now, after years of desktops. In 2015 I was waiting to see what Apple was going to do with their 21.5" iMac, as rumors were that it would finally have the retina screen. When the machine was finally released to market, I looked at the specs and was really disappointed. Sure, I could have done a CTO (configured-to-order) but I was reluctant to do that. The 27" iMac is just too darned big for me to handle physically and after having had the 30" ACD some years ago, I know I would find the screen too large for comfortable daily use. I re-evaluated my needs and desires and started looking more closely at the 15" MacBook Pro. It had the specs I wanted and it was also portable. Win-win! Upshot of this is that I bought the 15" MBP, and have been very satisfied with it ever since. I seriously doubt that I will ever buy another desktop machine. Multiply me by many others who for their own reasons have opted for a portable machine over a desktop and it becomes evident why manufacturers are putting more of their attention and focus on laptops -- they're what sell.

12. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Do you have a large screen to plug into the MacBook. I’ve been thinking of going to a mobile computer, but would miss the screen my IMac gives me.

13. At the time I bought this MacBook Pro, I was intending to also buy a 24" monitor for it, but didn't get around to it immediately......and still have not done it, two and a half years later! I just have not felt the need. I have the machine set up much like a desktop -- it is on a stand, with an external mouse and external keyboard. The 15" screen has been fine for me. However, I have not been doing much photography or image editing for a while, and it would be that, more than anything else, which would prompt me to buy an external monitor.

14. I've long used my MBP with a 24"external monitor, both when I was working and now at home. Calibrates better, easier on the old eyes, and makes showing pictures better.

15. Years ago when I had an iMac with 24" monitor, I loved the size -- it seemed just right, neither too large or too small. I was disappointed when Apple changed the configuration to 21.5" and more importantly, also restricted user access to the hard drive and the RAM. I bought and used a 21.5" iMac anyway but by early 2015 I was already impatient with it -- that 5400 rpm hard drive was annoying and frustratingly slow! The 2015 13" MBP with its speedy SSD ran circles around it. I had expected that when they brought out the 21.5" iMac with retina screen that they also would have finally ditched that slow "spinner" drive and was irritated when they still had that. Bought the 15" MBP and have been happy ever since! One of these days I probably will buy a 24" external monitor.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.