Looking around...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by PJohnP, Oct 20, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Shooting as we do, often we cast our gaze to the closest objects of interest. Several nights ago, confronted with a wealth of sandhill cranes, I looked all around at a plentitude of cranes, flying, landing, eating, and it was indeed a rich shooting environment.

But while shooting one crane, I realised the crane was watching something else, something of an obvious interest to it, and as I depressed the shutter, it became obvious that I should look elsewhere.

[​IMG]

And so my attention shifted, and I saw flashes of red and black flitting rapidly around against a richly toned background of autumn. In the sparest shortest of instants, the time of a shutter click, they were gone.

[​IMG]
    D100, 200-400mm AFS/VR, TC17EII, processed in NC, cropped in PS-CS

Look up, look down, and look all around.

Always shoot.

John P.

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Very good advice and very good images

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Cools shot John, but what were they?

Nice Sandhill shot too BTW. :smile:

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Ben :

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Sometimes I think it would be good to have the "machine gun" when taking these kinds of shots...

John P.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

Thanks for the good thoughts.

The second shot is of a flock of red-wing blackbirds in movement.

John P.

6. Wow, that's a really cool shot.

And thanks for the advice.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Cool shots John, how did you get a focu lock on these little guys. And, thanks for the advice to look around you. Often times we concentrate so hard on what's right in front of us, it's easy to miss other great shooting opportunities. I do at least try to keep my ears open to other strange sounds when I'm really into getting a certain shot.

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Phil :

And the advice is worth at least what it cost you ! :wink:

John P.

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Steve :

Focus lock ? A bit of planning when I saw how the birds were flying and probably a touch of luck.

John P.

10. very cool shots and great words to boot!

11. The colors of the birds make a nice contrast with the colors of the foliage. That lens is really expensive, I ask around for prices and between the highest and the lowest price i got there was a difference of $400.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Both excellent shots. That second one is superb. Boy the light hit them just right.
    You are right a split second and it is gone.

I want a machine gun to. D2Hs

13. RNeal

RNeal

Oct 15, 2005
    Tennessee
    Excellent. Never seen redwing blackbirds in a flock like that. We have one or two that hang around the neighborhood. One of my favorite bird pursuits was trying to get the perfect shot in flight that shows off their colors. And you got a whole frame full! Nice.

14. Sweet light in both but very smart of you to follow natures lead, it is a great picture with the combo of the beautiful backgorund and the colors of the RWBB's very well done

15. Darn dreaded red x's :(

16. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Sandi :

Hurm. Well, I use PhotoShare and not pBase, so I don't know what's happened.

I'll try and post some more shots when I get home for a day (and then on the road again).

John P.