Looking At Buying A MacBook Pro

Real Name
Jeff
Does anyone use one of these and what are your thoughts. I need something to bring with me in my truck that I can D/L pics into. Since I have an iMac at home I thought I would go with another Apple product. Thanks for any info, recomendations on accesories, setups, etc. Jeff

I have a 2010 MacBook pro that I still use but not for high processor power anymore. 5 years ago I upgraded the ram from 4Gb to 8 and the hard drive from 500Gb to 2Tb. About a year ago I found that it was becoming a bit too slow to be a powerhouse machine anymore. I still use it for web surfing, looking at pictures, email, etc. I love it and want another, just can't quite reach the pricetag.
If you are just wanting to d/l pics to it, why not just get a media backup drive?

Another thought would be, if again, just to d/l pics to it to transfer to the iMac, I would think a macbook Air would do quite nicely and be a lot easier to carry around.

If, on the other hand, you are looking for this to be a do all computer, then I would get the most macbook you can afford. I bought an Air for my wife with a 256Gb ssd and a year later wish I had put up the funds for the 512 as she is constantly running out of drive space. My daughter had the same problem with her college computer.
I don't know about the new pro's, but the ssd on the air is still quite expensive to replace so I haven't done it yet. The hard drive on mine was cheap so not a big deal to replace that.

Hard to recommend a current MacBook what with their frequently failing keyboards, no ports, and soldered in everything.

I am still using an 2011 model whose RAM I expanded to 16GB, and whose 5400rpm drive I replaced with a SATA3 SSD. Performance (while not earth shaking) is still pretty good.

If you need a lot of storage, I would look for 2012 model as I think it is the last model supporting non-Apple proprietary storage, and the RAM is easily (and cheaply) upgraded to 16GB.

Note I am not an Apple hater, in fact I am a dev who has had a Mac since 1984. I am just disappointed in Apple, who have learned that non-upgradeable, non-repairable products (cough cough... phones) significantly enhance their bottom line, and have carried that design philosophy to "Pro" computers.

You might want to post this on the Apple forum on the Cafe...you'll get more eyeballs.

I had a 2013 MacBook Pro which I bought new and used until it died last January while I was on a photo trip to Costa Rica. It was not economic to repair it so I bought a new 13-inch model as close to it as I could. So far it's been fine...no keyboard troubles at all.

Real Name
Jeff
I have a 2010 MacBook pro that I still use but not for high processor power anymore. 5 years ago I upgraded the ram from 4Gb to 8 and the hard drive from 500Gb to 2Tb. About a year ago I found that it was becoming a bit too slow to be a powerhouse machine anymore. I still use it for web surfing, looking at pictures, email, etc. I love it and want another, just can't quite reach the pricetag.
If you are just wanting to d/l pics to it, why not just get a media backup drive?

Another thought would be, if again, just to d/l pics to it to transfer to the iMac, I would think a macbook Air would do quite nicely and be a lot easier to carry around.

If, on the other hand, you are looking for this to be a do all computer, then I would get the most macbook you can afford. I bought an Air for my wife with a 256Gb ssd and a year later wish I had put up the funds for the 512 as she is constantly running out of drive space. My daughter had the same problem with her college computer.
I don't know about the new pro's, but the ssd on the air is still quite expensive to replace so I haven't done it yet. The hard drive on mine was cheap so not a big deal to replace that.
Thanks for the info. I do plan on using it for more then downloading pics. I plan on putting LR and maybe Photoshop on it for processing too. Jeff

For photo editing you'll probably want the 15-inch model. I wanted the smaller one for ease of packing and carrying on trips. I don't try to do much photo editing until I get back to my big iMac.

Real Name
Jeff
For photo editing you'll probably want the 15-inch model. I wanted the smaller one for ease of packing and carrying on trips. I don't try to do much photo editing until I get back to my big iMac.
Thanks for the reply. The 15” screens are the ones I’ve been looking at. Boy are the prices high! They’re as high as Nikkor lenses! :) Jeff

I had a 2013 MacBook Pro which I bought new and used until it died last January while I was on a photo trip to Costa Rica. It was not economic to repair
According to who? The "Genius Bar", or an AASP? Did you take it to a third party service establishment that is knowledgeable in board level repair?

I ask as the former is reasonably well known to recommend a motherboard replacement for something as simple as a failed connector or a bad capacitor. My guess is you could probably had it fixed for under $300 using somebody other than Apple or their authorized service providers.

Happy MBP user here! Right now I’ve got a 2015 15” MBP and a 2018 MBP as well as a 12” MacBook..... The MacBook travels with me and the two 15” MBPs remain at home. I have the 2018 MBP on a stand and use the external Apple BT Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse 2 with it. The specs are i9/1 TB SSD/Vega 20/32 GB RAM. The older MBP I still use for various tasks as well, but the 2018 one is the main machine. The 15” screen is pretty good for editing images but there are times when I think that I really should go ahead and get an external monitor, too, somewhere in the neighborhood of 24” or more. Just haven’t gotten around to that.....

When I travel I take along a 1 TB Samsung T5 external SSD and if I do any shooting on the trip, I can then have the image files safely on the MacBook and on the external drive as well as remaining on the card. I don’t edit on the MacBook, but I usually do at least take a look at what I’ve shot. Once home again I plug the T5 into my 2018 15” MBP and stick the files on it, ready for editing.

If you’re actually intending to use this machine most of the time simply for downloading images which would later be edited on the machine at home, why not consider an iPad? The third-generation 12.9 iPad Pro is available in large capacity sizes now and accepts images transferred from an SD card through Apple’s USB-C SD card reader..... Although a 500 GB or a 1 TB iPad can be pretty expensive it still would be less expensive than a MBP. People can and do edit images on their iPads; I’ve never done either of these things with my iPad so can’t answer to how well that works. That might be a good solution to having something in the truck which would be easier to stow away out of sight, too......

If you’re actually intending to use this machine most of the time simply for downloading images which would later be edited on the machine at home, why not consider an iPad? The third-generation 12.9 iPad Pro is available in large capacity sizes now and accepts images transferred from an SD card through Apple’s USB-C SD card reader..... Although a 500 GB or a 1 TB iPad can be pretty expensive it still would be less expensive than a MBP. People can and do edit images on their iPads; I’ve never done either of these things with my iPad so can’t answer to how well that works. That might be a good solution to having something in the truck which would be easier to stow away out of sight, too......

I just bought a 3rd gen iPad Pro 12.9 with a Logitech keyboard case and Apple Pencil. The free Lightroom app works quite well for simple edits. I can vouch for being able to transfer images via the usb - c connector.
Also, I bought it with a student discount as I am currently taking classes so I was able to take advantage of the free beats headphone offer :)

I bought a 2015 Macbook Pro 15", 2 USB, 2 Thunderbolt, 1 HDMI and 1 SD Slot.
Got it for my wife since she loves her Ipad.
She never really embraced it so I use it as a spare.
Works great. Fast and very easy to use.
Very long battery life compared to other notebooks.
There are a lot of good deals for used Macbooks on FM.

Last edited:
Bought a 2019 13” MacBook Pro this past Feb. as I didn’t have a means to process images if needed when away from home. Also wanted a laptop when attending workshops. When traveling use it in conjunction with a medium intous tablet, couple Samsung T5 500gb ssd, and CF card reader. This and associated cables will all fit in the front compartment of my photo backpack with ease.

Once home have connected it to my 2010 27” iMac. Can toggle the iMac screen between the MacBook Pro and The iMac itself by hitting “command + f2” key on the iMac. For any task other than image processing still use the iMac , but toggle the iMac screen to use the MacBook to review and work on images.

If I didn’t have the iMac would have bought a external monitor for home use as I feel the 13” is a little small. If you feeel you may do a lot of processing on the road then I would go with a larger MacBook Pro.

So far no problem with either.

I have a 15 inch Macbook Pro, I rarely use it. Nothing wrong with it, I turn it on to download updates to PS and the OS, that's about it. My Imac and IPads get a lot more use, IPads are used a lot these days. If I were going to get another Macbook, I'd get the 13 inch for it's portability and ease of using on my lap, the 15 inch was a gift. I've seen various emails/etc about some good sales happening now, if you do a bit of searching I think you can find a decent deal.

Real Name
Andy
I recently migrated from a Windows laptop to a refurbished 2015 MBP. Though it is not quite as fast as my desktop (Skylake chip), the MBP is sufficiently powerful to handle all of my culling and more than 95% of my post processing needs. I got quite a deal from OWC Computing.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom