1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Looking at getting a SB800

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Jonesy, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy

May 15, 2007
    Northern Kentucky
    After doing some searching and reading on here I've decided to break the bank and get the 800 over the 600. Now I just need to buy one. The local retailers here all have it for $389. Is this normal retail for it? Any recommendations for reputable dealers online that may be cheaper? I thought about going used but with something like this I don't want to take the chance.

Thanks
    JT

2. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    B&H sells it or about 319. There is a benifit though to buying local, if you have a problem or a question, being able to get that answered can be valuable. The question you have to answer is how much is that worth to you if at all.

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I don't think this is something you will need much local support for. Save the money and buy from a reputable on-line dealer like B&H.

4. Jonesy

Jonesy

May 15, 2007
    Northern Kentucky
    Thanks for the replies. Think I'm going to order the 800 from them later this afternoon. Anything else that you all would recommend that I get along with it? I am going to be taking pictures at a class reunion this Saturday so I'll be learning as I go. I believe it comes with a diffuser and a built in bounce card thing. Are other diffusers better or is the provided one good enough to learn with?

5. Buy the SB800 as is and then do a search for A Better Bounce Card here on the Cafe and you will find information about making your own diffuser for pennies. I use my ABBC all the time.

6. mi2ark

mi2ark Guest

I bought mine locally

More out of timing and impatience. Doing it again, I would feel comfortable buying it online at B&H and/or Amazon. Have had good luck with both.

I'm just too dang impatient.

Don't feel the need to get the Better Bounce Card from day 1. You'll love the flash "as is".

It's AWESOME...

7. Jonesy

Jonesy

May 15, 2007
    Northern Kentucky
    I ended up overpaying at the local camera shop, but like mi2ark, i was just to impatient. I wanted some time to play with it before I used it this weekend. So far i love it. Now I just need to go out and take some pictures.

On a side note, is there a preferred battery to use in the flash. I was looking at the duracell lithium rechargeables. either the 2200 or 2500 mA/hr seems to be the best you can get. Is this the ones I want to get or is there something else I should look at?

8. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    The battery choice depends on how frequently you will use the SB-800. If flash photography is something you do only once in a great while, then AA disposables are the best choice. At the other end of the range you could put 2900 mA/hr rechargeables inside the unit. Or go even farther and buy an external source.

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I am using the Eneloop batteries in my SB800's now. Not as powerful as the best of the regular rechargeables but they have extremely low self-discharge rate. So less chance of them being dead if you haven't used them in a while.

10. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I am using Powerex 2300MaH NiMH cells from Thomas along with their Maha MH-C801D 8 cell charger. The 2700MaH will supposedly give better life, but I shot over 385 pictures at a wedding and never changed batteries, and this is plenty good for me. FWIW, I keep the 5th cell adapter on mine at all times. I have 20 of the batteries, and usually charge 5 at a time, but if I need to charge 2 sets, I charge the internal cells on the 801D and the 5th cells on my older Maha 4 cell charger

11. CougarWilbur

CougarWilbur Guest

Will second the NiMH rechargables. They the best AA size recycle time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.