Looking for 70-200/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by AgilityIG, Jul 8, 2008.

1. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    I am looking for a 70-200/2.8 (finally have my $$$ saved up!! :890:). Of course, it seems like everywhere I look is out, backordered, etc... right now. Anyone know of a good reputable dealer that might have one? If not, any idea how long until Nikon will get these folks stocked again? I am on a notification list at a few places.

2. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    Thanks Troy - I'll check them out!! I REALLY REALLY want that lens! LOL

3. mi2ark

mi2ark Guest

Seriously, is it out because Nikon has a new one coming out and they've stopped or slowed production?

I'm curious because I want one too -not sure if I should wait and buy the newer version or look to find a used one once the seller decides to upgrade...

Any thoughts?

4. I'm afraid that people have been speculating about a new version for months now. Every time it runs out of stock at B&H (which gets them every 1.5 months or so), the rumors about a replacement pop out again. If you search you will find the lens constantly ran out of stock a year ago, and two years ago, and probably before that.

Same goes for the 85/1.4, 50/1.4, 80-400VR, etc. Now that Nikon has made a series of product announcements, who knows -- they've already announced five lenses this year and supposedly they only do 5-6 a year.

Bottom line is that no one knows outside of Nikon. Everything else you hear is rumor.

5. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    I have heard the same thing, but like Bill said - there seems to be an ebb and flow to the availability of the lens. I will get one as soon as I can - it's a great lens.

6. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    Put in a "Notify when in stock" request at B&H. I used it in April and got my 70-200 from them. The last few times I've seen it in stock there it's been in stock for at least 24 hours. So they apparently get plenty of stock when they do get them in.

I've also read several posts from people who simply called up B&H and asked to "pre-order" the lens (order and ship when in stock).

Won't help if you need it right now. Otherwise I'd wait and buy from the best. :)

7. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    Thanks jafo - I don't "need" it right now - just "want". LOL. I am on the wait list at B&H too.

8. Find it in stock, buy it and enjoy the lens. It would be a dream lens fo mine, but not that practical since I don't think my wife would like the fact I spent almost a 1/4 of our small bathroom reno on a lens....

9. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    I have seen this before too - people want the next greatest thing, but, honestly, there is always going to be something coming around the corner that is supposed to be better.

10. www.allenscamera.com from PA is where I purchased mine at the end of May, when everybody else was out of stock, they had 5 copies. Grabbed one of those along with an 85/1.4. Called them today, and ordered a 17-55/2.8. They do not have web ordering, but they are a top notch company, and it's impressive with the glass they keep in stock.

11. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Well, as mentioned before, Nikon produces lenses in "batches", so they have a run of 70-200s one week, they may not run them again for 2 months as they run other lenses of their arsenal. Thus the shortages occur when the suppliers run out, and time to run the lenses again has not arrived. This problem is probably accentuated when new model lenses come out and production is dedicated to those. (14-24, 24-70, new VR long lenses...)