Looking for 8-bay charger

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JerseyJay, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks like an excellent piece of gear. I bookmarked the page, and may order one myself.

If you get one, let us know how you like it.

2. Henk

Henk Guest

I use the Ansmann Energy 16 which charges 12 pieces AAA-AA-C or D Cells and 4x 9Volt cells simultaneously. It's an expensive, but awesome charger, I've had several others before but this one seems to charge so much better, my 2300mAH penlites seem to last forever in the SB800.

best regards

Henk

3. As Henk suggested give the Ansmann Energy 16 a review ...

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/ansmann_battery_charger_5407013.htm

I've had the Energy 4 for about 1 year, I switched to it as I found the typical chargers from Duracell etc... were chewing up my batteries. I found that the charge was not holding and I was not getting the use out of a charge that I thought I should especially with my flash unit. I did some research and discovered that most of the fast chargers in the market actually reduce the life of a typical Lithium Ion battery by about 50%.

The Ansmann works as advertised (for me) and I find I'm getting more use and life out my batteries with it.

Doug

4. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    I certainly like the idea of this new charger and am anxious to hear some input as well. Am currently using two MH-C401FS models now. Like the idea of individual charging units. This is especially true for charging 5 batteries for the SB800. Now if it only did 10 batteries!

Henk, I am somewhat familiar with the Ansmann Energy 16 and considered it at one time. I cannot recall whether it does single battery charges however?

Jerry Snider

5. Oooops - sorry I should have said Nickel Metal Hydride batteries ....

thats what I get for having a beer on the back deck and then trying to talk....

Doug

6. Henk

Henk Guest

Yes Jerry, it does charge individual cells, as any serious charger needs to do. It's a smart charger so it checks level first, then decides to unload/load or just loads fully depleted ones right away. When the cycle is done it switches to some sort of trickle charge mode to keep your cells topped off. I always leave my cells in the charger until I need them. The SB800 does great with 4 cells, I have never tried to put the 5th cell in place because I fear to blow the electronics inside the flash unit with all this power ;-)

7. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Henk,

SB800 does not use 5 cells simultaneously, it uses 4 out of 5, cycling the fifth one to get recharged faster.

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Yes, but you still have to replace all 5 batteries simultaneously.

9. Henk

Henk Guest

Thanks Iliah, in that case I'm going to give it a go with the fifth cell attached when I need the speed

best regards

Henk

10. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I use the same one (MH-C204F), but I have 4 of them. Prolly cheaper to get 2 of them rather than the single 8 charger.

11. Greg,

I thought the same but I was in the situation where I needed 8 batteries ASAP and there was only 1 outlet !

Plus 204 needs some time to fully recharge. This new charger should be a lot quicker.

I will give it a try .

12. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Ah.... I always carry a powerstrip with me, but I see your point. On assignment, I usually just put the 204 in fast mode, and the charge is ready by the time I deplete my second bank. But I use an external battery pack too, so mine last quite a while.

The new charger does look interesting though, and I'm tempted. Let me know how it works out for ya.

13. I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to give some feedback that I ordered one of these (the MAHA MH-C801D BATTERY CHARGER) from Thomas Distributing, and had the following results:

• The first unit I received was apparently able to charge OK, but the first time I tried to use it for conditioning a set of Panasonic AAs (that were working just fine, but I thought they might need conditioning), it fried them and actually melted part of the unit.
    • I called Thomas Distributing, and they were able to ship me a replacement unit that has so far had no problems whatsoever, both charging and conditioning.
    It's really nice to be able to charge 8 AAs at a time! And even the "soft" cycle is only about 2 hours. That's quite a bit better than the other charger that I previously used.

14. I have it..it's fabulous! Once you put in a battery it shows just how much of a charge it has. Overpriced, of course, but still very nice!

Rich

15. marc

marc Guest

i have ben looking for a bigger charger for some time.
    just ordered one, i hope it works as advertised.
    is there anything special, you need to know, about it's use

marc

16. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    What I really want is a 10 or 12 cell charger, to make charging batteries for the SB-800's a bit more convenient. I might have to consider that Ansmann Energy 16. It's a more than I would prefer to spend on a charger, but looks like it would do the job well.

17. Marc -

So far my replacement unit has functioned as advertised, which is pretty straightforward. Each slot is independent and intelligent, and monitors battery level and displays progress with an indicator for each cell. When the charge (or condition) cycle is complete for a cell, it indicates "DONE" in the display for that cell and supplies a "trickle" current just to maintain the battery.

No complaints from me!

18. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    The MAHA C801D works very well. However, something that isn't shown in the pictures is the transformer (or whatever) which is almost as large as the charger. Something to keep in mind if using for travel and space is tight.