Looking for a 28mm f1.4 lens

Well it looks like I may have sold my 28-70mm to be replaced with a 28mm f1.4 and a 85mm f1.4. Call me crazy, I know... two lenses for one great zoom. Anyway, if anyone has or knows of a very nice 28mm f1.4 lens at a good price, please let me know. It seems that new, they command a hefty $1700+ price tag. That would make this, I think the single most expensive lens in the line up under 300mm. Yikes!

Also, any experience with this lens would be interesting.

Thanks

Scott,

Check out refurbished ones at B&H. That's where I got mine for considerably less than the retail price. Great lens too!

Gaye

Thanks,
I noticed B&H has one used that is 9+ for $1200. I called and they said it is out of the box and there is no way to determine if it is import or usa. He said to assume it is import. For that money, I can buy a new import in the box. Still looking....

thanks...

Also thanks for the reassuring words on the purchase/exchange. I am sweating this one. big bucks and other considerations. multi lens=multi changes on camera in field, big expense for same or less range (nothing in the middle.) Up side, a fast well made prime lens set. I guess I will wind up adding a 50 to the pile some day. Hope I don't regret this decision. I already have a 12-24 and a 70-200.

I am interested in your thoughts. By the way, it appears that it is a done deal as I have commited to a sale of my zoom.

Scott Sherman said:
Well it looks like I may have sold my 28-70mm...
Wow, that was quick. Was it one of the Cafe regulars?

Once the deal is done, please add "SOLD" to the title line.

... to be replaced with a 28mm f1.4 and a 85mm f1.4. Call me crazy...
OK. You're crazy :lol: :D 8)

Hey, whatever floats your boat, Scott. I'm sure you're gonna love the 85/1.4.

Occasionally Cameta (sp?) has factory demos on ebay. I got one for about $1000, but there was something screwy with it (my camera could get a correct exposure with it) so it went back. Now I'm considering this lens again, but I've been burned and will probably pay the man and get a new one.

UncleFrank said:
Scott Sherman said:
Well it looks like I may have sold my 28-70mm...
Wow, that was quick. Was it one of the Cafe regulars?

... to be replaced with a 28mm f1.4 and a 85mm f1.4. Call me crazy...

Okay, okay it was me. This is my clever way of keeping from buying the D2X. Spending the dough before it burns a hole in mypocket. I've now got the 85 1.4 and am replacing the 24-85 f/2.8 with the "the beast" as you call it. Instead of the 28 f/1.4 I bought a pristine manual 35 f/1.4 on eBay for $325. I want it for artwork, statues, etc. in low light so a manual focus is no big deal. It beats $1700 for the real deal.

I guess that means the 24-85 f/2.8 is for sale. Also, anyone want to trade a 62mm Hoya skylight filter for a 52mm skylight?

....now since I "saved" so much with the 35 instead of the 28 and can get some money for the 24-85...and if I sell that obsolete D100 with the MB100 ....I'll have some money to start saving for the D2X!

Yeah...I can quit anytime.......really.....

Rich :roll:

Congratulations, Rich! Based on some of the comments you've made, I should have suspected it was you -lol. I hope you like it as much as I do 8).

UncleFrank said:
Congratulations, Rich! Based on some of the comments you've made, I should have suspected it was you -lol. I hope you like it as much as I do 8).
I love the 85 f/1.4 and 35 f/1.4 but I still screw up with the depth of field. For some reason I keep trying to get the best light and forget about the extremely shallow depth of field.

I really thought long and hard about the 17-55, but I have the 12-24 and the 70-200VR. Like some others with walk around lenses I find I shoot a lot around 70-85mm so the 28-70 was a better fit for me.

Rich

jklofft said:
Rich,

It depends on your shooting style. I know that Frank loves his 28-70, but I'd find the 28 end way too limiting for even normal range photographs.

Jeff
I understand, and thanks. I do have the 35mm f/1.4 which at 7mm narrower is close enough. I've seen some very beautiful shots of artwork with it...very little distortion. Plus I have the 12-24 already.

More to the point, I've bought and paid for the lens. I'll make it do.

Rich :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom