Looking for a 28mm f1.4 lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Scott Sherman, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Well it looks like I may have sold my 28-70mm to be replaced with a 28mm f1.4 and a 85mm f1.4. Call me crazy, I know... two lenses for one great zoom. Anyway, if anyone has or knows of a very nice 28mm f1.4 lens at a good price, please let me know. It seems that new, they command a hefty $1700+ price tag. That would make this, I think the single most expensive lens in the line up under 300mm. Yikes!

Also, any experience with this lens would be interesting.

Thanks

2. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Scott,

Check out refurbished ones at B&H. That's where I got mine for considerably less than the retail price. Great lens too!

Gaye

3. Two awesome lenses. I understand your thinking in this purchase as I have always liked prime lenses.

4. Thanks,
    I noticed B&H has one used that is 9+ for $1200. I called and they said it is out of the box and there is no way to determine if it is import or usa. He said to assume it is import. For that money, I can buy a new import in the box. Still looking....

thanks...

Also thanks for the reassuring words on the purchase/exchange. I am sweating this one. big bucks and other considerations. multi lens=multi changes on camera in field, big expense for same or less range (nothing in the middle.) Up side, a fast well made prime lens set. I guess I will wind up adding a 50 to the pile some day. Hope I don't regret this decision. I already have a 12-24 and a 70-200.

I am interested in your thoughts. By the way, it appears that it is a done deal as I have commited to a sale of my zoom.

5. Wow, that was quick. Was it one of the Cafe regulars?

Once the deal is done, please add "SOLD" to the title line.

OK. You're crazy :lol: :D 8)

Hey, whatever floats your boat, Scott. I'm sure you're gonna love the 85/1.4.

6. Occasionally Cameta (sp?) has factory demos on ebay. I got one for about $1000, but there was something screwy with it (my camera could get a correct exposure with it) so it went back. Now I'm considering this lens again, but I've been burned and will probably pay the man and get a new one.

7. BoneFx

BoneFx Guest

RE: Looking for a 28mm f 1.4 lens

Scott,

I have a 28mm f1.4mm lens. Please e-mail me at BoneFx@aol.com if interested.

9. Congratulations, Rich! Based on some of the comments you've made, I should have suspected it was you -lol. I hope you like it as much as I do 8).

10. I love the 85 f/1.4 and 35 f/1.4 but I still screw up with the depth of field. For some reason I keep trying to get the best light and forget about the extremely shallow depth of field.

I really thought long and hard about the 17-55, but I have the 12-24 and the 70-200VR. Like some others with walk around lenses I find I shoot a lot around 70-85mm so the 28-70 was a better fit for me.

Rich

11. Rich,

It depends on your shooting style. I know that Frank loves his 28-70, but I'd find the 28 end way too limiting for even normal range photographs.

Jeff

12. I understand, and thanks. I do have the 35mm f/1.4 which at 7mm narrower is close enough. I've seen some very beautiful shots of artwork with it...very little distortion. Plus I have the 12-24 already.

More to the point, I've bought and paid for the lens. I'll make it do.

Rich :)