Looking for a 30" Monitor

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by tipsord, Aug 3, 2008.

1. tipsord

tipsord

Sep 17, 2007
    scottsdale
    I'm looking for a 30" monitor to go along with my MacPro. I'm leaning toward the 30" apple Cinema Display. Do others agree with this choice? Are there other monitors that I should look at? I would describe myself as a intermediate hobbyist (who loves gadgets). This is not my profession (wouldn't make much money with my skill level:smile:) .

I also noticed that the 30" apple requires a graphics card with dual link DVI. What does that mean? I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT graphics card. Does that have this capability? Where do I even find that info? I went into the About This Mac and looked around but couldn't find anything about this.

Thanks for the help!

2. Yes the GFX card you have will be sufficent, the ACD uses both the DVI ports.

The ACD is okay monitor, same with Dell and Samsung.

Next step is pro monitors wich is hardware calibrated.

Wider color gamut and more accurate. Meaning even backlight and no colorshifts.

I tested 5 30" ACD(apple sent out 5 new units) none of them where up to my standards. To much color shifts and no where near the accuracy of highend monitors.

BUT for you usage, a bigger monitor with less accuracy is probebly more useful/fun then a smaller one wich is more accurate.

3. tipsord

tipsord

Sep 17, 2007
    scottsdale
    Paul, thanks for the feedback. When you refer to pro monitors, what brands are you talking about? I am just starting to look into monitors and trying to understand the trade offs.

With regards to hardware calibration, what is involved with that. I have used basic monitor calibration tools before (Eye 2). Are you talking more extensive calibration than that? Also, what calibration software would you recommend. I just recently moved from PC's to Mac, so I need to purchase new calibration software.

Also, I currently l have a 22" Samsung. If I get the 30" ACD will I not be able to use both monitors because both DVI ports are then taken up with the 30" ACD? If that's the case, then what do I do? Will I need a 2nd graphics card? I have a 2nd graphics card that my MacPro came with before I upgraded.

Sorry for all of the questions. I am in "learn mode" right now.

4. Pro monitors are made by Eizo, Lacie and Nec. Also Samsung has the XL series (I think it is called). You know when you have one as the price is usually triple that of a normal 30" monitor (at least here in the Netherlands).

5. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I use 2) 30" Cinemas in my home office, and highly recommend them for a Mac Pro. Each uses 2) DVI ports. In order to use more than 1) 30" Cinema, you will need either a quad output card or a second video card. I ordered this card:

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 with 4) DVI ports, for dual 3D viewing.

Note: I also have a 23" Sony Professional monitor in my home office. It cost nearly double the 30" Cinema. For my uses, the Cinema is fantastic; I plan to sell the Sony Pro one of these days.

You will be quite happy with the 30" ACM providing you drive it with a quality card.

6. The highend monitors, im refering to Eizo's Coloredge series (wich have a 30" unit) but also NEC highend series.

These monitors is calibrated to a certain K value.(6500K) (apple claims their panels are too, but dosent have gurantee noor anything on paper regarding that, and my 5 monitors where off by quite a bit on both sides)

By using the colornavigator software coupled with a eye1 display 2 (that is connected directly to my monitor) i get the adjustment/changes to the monitor directly instead of of the software making the changes to the gfx driver.

But if you dont have a monitor supported by colornavigator (i belive NEC have a similar solution for their monitors) the software that comes with the eye1 display 2 is more then enough, and gives you all the control you need.

7. Well when did you buy the sony ? and when did you buy the apple ?

In sweden the sony is cheaper then the ACD 30" if you can get hold of the old Sony that is.

8. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Sony: 2006
    Apple: November 2007

9. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

i have a 4 year old KDS usa 17" opppppppppps!im reallyin need of an upgrade.24 is what im shooting for.

10. AFAIK, if a bit if nit-picking is permitted :smile:, there is no 30" in the Coloredge series, but in the ColorGraphic series.

A dream monitor, but very expensive.

Cheers

11. :wink:
    Wrong :wink: there is, they are within the product section "Graphical monitors" but are in their line Coloredge.

There is a CGE series that isnt up to the same standard as the CG line, but are also under the Graphical monitor section.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  12. Paul, I stand corrected. The terminology gets confusing sometimes. I've only known the CG301.

Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.