Looking for a bag

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by ZBaum, Mar 31, 2007.

1. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Hey everyone. I recently purchased a Sigma 70-200, and as a result, am left with no way of packing all of my gear into a single bag. I have the following that I'd like to fit in:

D70
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
    Tokina 28-70 f/2.8
    Sigma 50 f/2.8 Macro (pretty small)
    SB-600
    Misc. CF cards, lens/body caps, a few cables, etc.

I would like to buy a bag that can fit a full-sized body (meaning a D200 with grip or a D2-series camera), as there's a chance I'll upgrade in the future. My budget is about $75 max. Extra space is always helpful. I would prefer a shoulder bag over a backpack, as I like to have very fast access to my gear while out shooting assignments. So far, I've found:

-Tamrac 5606 (I'm not sure if it'll fit the 70-200 in it)
    -Lowepro Nova 4 AW (again, not positive about size, because the Lowepro site is useless for determining the real amount of gear that'll fit)
    -Tamrac 5608 (Definitely can fit all my gear, but pushing the budget a bit)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Adrien

Adrien

Jun 7, 2006
    The 661
    Of course, all these examples are with Canon (gasp!) gear, but this is a good website with A LOT of pictures showing kits and what bags they fit in.

http://www.taschenfreak.de/indexliste.htm

I use a LowePro Stealth 300 AW that would probably fit your kit...but I can't guarantee it...you would have to check the inner dimensions and the length of that Sigma you picked up.

Adrien

3. I'm sure the LowePro Steath 550 or 650 would but they are both over your budget. You might be able to find a good deal in the "for sale" section.

4. agw0

agw0

Oct 28, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    Aren't we all, allways, looking for another bag?

Check out this page: http://www.cambags.com/, where you will find reviews and images of all three bags filled with equivalent equipment (some Nikon, some Canon).

Also, consider whether the Stealth Reporter D400 is within your budget range - it should certainly fit your equipment (and more), and those series bags are, imho, best value for money. Also, I prefer the more flexible internal arrangement, allowing any of lens-down, hot-shoe-up, or grip-up body placement, above the more rigid internal layout of the Tamracs.
    I have the SR D100 (smallest bag), and it's a wonder what fits inside (D200 w/grip, 10-20, 35-70/2.8, 180/2.8)...

Ciao, Arno.

5. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Thanks everyone. Looks like I could configure the Nova 4 to fit everything in if I stack things, or if I want easier access, I'd have to go with the Stealth D400.

EDIT: One more thing. How are Domke bags? The F2 looks pretty good for what I need, although it looks like the section of the bag where one would put their camera (which is off to the side of the 4-compartment padding) isn't padded at all? Has anyone used/seen on of these?

Check these photos (from Cambags.com):

http://www.cambags.com/nikon/d70/shoulder/images/domke_f2/domke_f2_nikon_d70_karlo_1.jpg
    http://www.cambags.com/nikon/d70/shoulder/images/domke_f2/domke_f2_nikon_d200_andrew.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2007
  6. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    I have an old Nova 4 (ca. 1998) that would fit your stuff. The current one appears to be the same size, but with more configurable dividers. It's a little tight with a D1x and 80-200 AFS, but that's with something beneath the body. Off the top of my head, I think it can hold the following reasonably comfortably:

body (D200 w/o grip is easier)
    80-200
    flash (as big as Vivitar 283)
    2 small primes
    medium zoom (28-105, 18-70, Tamron 17-50)
    batteries, filters, etc, in the roomy and well-organized (but not too big)pocket up front

I know I've tossed in an extra body (D1x in this case) along with the above recently; just stuck an extra pad in between it and the 80-200.

I've been meaning to to a bag post, so I'll add this to the shot list for you—if I get to it at all.:redface:

Good luck!

7. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    The Domke bags are less padded - and only on the bottom. The canvas is very robust and nice but these bags are not for banging about. Great for carry though as they conform to your gear and your body. I love 'em! If you get a Domke you'll want the postal pad for your shoulder also, it really spreads the load nicely.

Nova bags are a great value and they offer excellent protection for more rigorous usage.

8. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Thanks Nancy. I'll definitely give the Nova 4 a good look.

Thanks Holmes. I like the idea of the Domke bags conforming a bit more, as my current Lowepro Rezo 180 AW isn't the most comfortable thing ever to carry (even though it's quite small). Another thing I can't stand about the Lowepro bags is that the straps squeak like crazy when I walk with them around my shoulder. This is pretty distracting when I'm at an event and the I'm trying to move quietly. I certainly don't throw my bags around, and I'm always careful when I'm putting them down on a hard surface. Now I just need to decide if I can afford the F-2 or not.

9. Have you considered slingbags? Fastest access, in my opinion. I use Lowepro's Slingshot 300 which will easily carry your gear. Check out Lowepro's site for great pics. Also there's a seller on eBay called Cameraland and he has a Best Offer on the SS 300 most of the time. I bought a second one for a friend and offered $75 and Cameraland accepted so you could probably go a bit lower. Good luck with your search.

10. Zach -

I just received a Domke F-2 and the gear I toted around over the weekend was *very* similar to your list above:

D70 with Sigma 70-200 mm f/2.8 mounted;
    Tamron 90 mm f/2.8 macro;
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4;
    SB 800 (in side pouch)
    Filters, adapters, etc. (in other side pouch).

I bought the F-2 and the shoulder strap pad two weeks ago through Amazon (but sold and shipped by Adorama): it was $115 total, I believe - cheaper than Adorama's own price.

It's exactly what I hoped it would be.

Eric

11. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
  12. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Thanks everyone! I'm going to look into the resources a bit more. The deal from Amazon sounds great, a lot better than what B&H is offering (although Adorama and B&H are both closed for Passover right now).

Eric - Would you mind take a photo of how everything was packed? So I can get a better idea of the size of both the bag and the Sigma 70-200, as well as if you used the included 4-compartment divider or not. I'm curious as to how it all fit with the camera mounted to the 70-200. Thanks.

13. Hey Zach -

Here are a few quick snaps for you.

In the one below, the D70 has the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 mounted (with its hood reversed). In the four compartment divider are the Tamron 90 mm, the Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 (way down there), and the Sigma's lens collar. The 4th compartment could still hold another lens. The main compartment could also accommodate the Sigma with its collar in place.

76578917.original.

The next one shows the SB-800 in one of the two side pockets. I always keep it in its original plastic bag, even when it is in its case - obsessive, I guess - LOL. There's a Singh-Ray grad filter in there also and room for more if need be. The side pockets can also hold the Sigma's lens collar.

View attachment 87792

In this last one, I wanted to show you that the bag is tall enough to accommodate the Sigma 70-200 on its end. I put the Tamron on the D70, and swapped rear caps, so here the 70-200 mm is underneath the Tamron cap.

View attachment 87793

The four compartment divider serves to keep the camera from sliding around, yet makes it easy to extract.

I am able to fit the D70 with the Nikon 300 mm f/4 mounted in the bag, but that is geting a bit tight.

There are two narrower vertical pockets on the front face that can hold all sorts of cards, etc.

The *only* minor quibble I have at this point is that the two clasps that secure the top into D-rings are a bit tight to open. I suspect that they will loosen up with use. In any event, there is a velcro strip to keep the lid closed too.

Hope this helps.

Eric

14. Crumpler 7 million dollar bag is well worth looking into. A bit over your budget but as good as they come.

15. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Eric - Thanks a lot for the photos, just what I was looking for. I never thought of putting the 4-compartment divider off to one side. Does the bag get pretty wide when you do that, or not as bad as the photos make it look?

Dave - I'd love a Crumpler, but I'm already stretching my budget by considering the Domke F2, and if I'm going to spend that much, I'd at least want to be sure that I had extra room. The Crumpler 7 million dollar home seems like it would be just enough to fit my gear, but wouldn't allow for expansion.

16. Zach -

You're welcome - happy to do it.

If only I'd shot these after dark, I could have joined Phil's Collective Shoot thread too. Hmm . . .maybe I won't tell him - LOL.

No the bag doesn't get too wide with that arrangement. Once you close the lid, the compartment divider cozies up nicely to accommodate whatever is inside.

I shot these with my beloved old and trusty Olympus C-2100 UZi at its widest setting so that I could take advantage of its flash close up, and there probably is also some exagerrated perspective distortion . . .

Eric

17. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

18. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Hmm, that gives me an idea for re-configuring my Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home. Thanks.

19. Thanks for posting this image Zach. I have the Nova 4 and 5 and I couldn't quite figure out how to reconfigure the 5 with a D200 and long lens. Those adjustable inserts drive me crazy!! :Confused:

20. Domke F-6 will fit your needs. I must respectfuly disagree with Holmes. My Domke bags get considerable banging around and neither the bags or the contents seem to suffer. Domke bags are much lighter than Tamrac and LowePro relative to their size and I wouldn't use anything else. My F-803 and one F-6 is over 20 years old. Domke bags, straps, and vests for me.