1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Looking for a carry solution for 200-500

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by DynaSport, Dec 22, 2018.

1. I think quite a few people on this board have the 200-500 VR. Have any of you found good carrying solutions. I am looking for bag recommendations for the 200-500, my D500 and my 16-80 along with a flash at times. Also, I am looking for how you carry the lens mounted on your camera when you are out and about.

Thanks
    Dan

2. Nikon-mike

Nikon-mike

Dec 14, 2018
    Cant help with the bag but with a 150-600 on a Black rapid sling i could carry for hours, get the balance right and its great.

3. Do you attach the sling to the tripod foot on the lens?

4. Nikon-mike

Nikon-mike

Dec 14, 2018
    On the lens tripod foot, with the BR sport strap if i remember right carrying it on your right side means you order a left hand strap,lots dont get the right strap and then say its uncomfortable.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I also use a Black Rapid sling, but I have an Arca style plate on the lens and an arca style clamp on the sling. Makes the sling compatible with any set up that has a dovetail mount.

6. A Think Tank Glass Taxi works for me...

7. There are so many bag options tailored to various needs that it's probably better that you go to a brick and mortar store and look at a few to figure what fits your needs. Do you need it for carry-on luggage? Long back country hiking? Etc.

Like others above I use a Black Rapids strap. Black Rapids also makes an Arca compatible plate that has an integral connection point for their standard strap loop. Personally I find the 200-500 w/body is large/heavy enough that most of the time even when connected to the strap I hold onto to lens foot to support the weight and keep it from bouncing around. So I essentially carry the rig with the convenience of being able to let go of it from time to time if I need both hands. I only use the strap when I anticipate encountering something to shoot at any given moment. When walking to cover ground I stuff the camera/lens in my pack.

One item of note with the 200-500 carried on a strap. The lens hood comes off really easy and I've heard/read of several people losing the hood while carrying it on a strap. I've had the hood pop off a couple of times but luckily have noticed and recovered it. Nikon must have saved a few cents per lens by not putting the locking mechanism on the lens hood.

8. EEE093F2-7C22-4BC2-B913-0063539C47DF.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I’m using the Mindshift Backlight 26L. The attached image shows the pack fully packed for our week in St Simons. When actually going out to shoot removed some of the gear that I knew wouldn’t be used if shooting birds, or if after landscape.

D800 w 50 1.8g, Nikon 200-500, Rokinon 14 f2.8, Nikon 16-35 f4, Sigma Art 35 f1.4, Nikon 24-120 f4.0, Nisi 10 stop Nd, adapter and case, rocket blower, Nikon 1.4 tc, Nikon mc36 remote and a headlamp. This is a back opening pack. The opening on the front side room for 15” laptop and another sleeve for a tablet. I carry my 12.9” iPad in a case in the laptop sleeve. Also in the front pocket had a sb900 flash, Wimberly Sidekick and a RRS Pano rail. On the side I attach my Gitzo 1325 tripod with Kirk head. So far have been pretty happy with the pack. As loaded has some weight but the suspension actually pretty comfortable.

If just walking around will carry the camera attached to the 200-500 by the lens foot. And carry the tripod in the other hand or attached to the pack.

9. +1

• Like Like x 1
  10. lamaCaddies.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.