Looking for a good way to learn Photoshop

Real Name
Luis Casals
I have difficulty processing my photos (Photoshop). I can do a little of the basics but feel that I struggle with the photos and spend too much time. Would like to take classes but I happen to travel for work almost every week and cannot get into a 6 week class. Any suggestions for learning to process photos using Photoshop or similar program?

Thanks.

I learn faster by doing.. so..

What helped me.. was using Adobe Bridge, shooting in RAW format and editing the RAW images with Adobe Camera Raw.
I can usually do 90% of what I need in Camera Raw.

This is a decent book to help you out...

http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Camera-Adobe-Photoshop/dp/0321713095

I have difficulty processing my photos (Photoshop). I can do a little of the basics but feel that I struggle with the photos and spend too much time. Would like to take classes but I happen to travel for work almost every week and cannot get into a 6 week class. Any suggestions for learning to process photos using Photoshop or similar program?

Thanks.

I suggest you purchase Lightroom as it is far more intuitive to use for raw processing than Photoshop as that is what it is designed for.
You can learn plenty here: http://tv.adobe.com/ in manageable and repeatable bits - all for free!

Real Name
Luis Casals
I learn faster by doing.. so..

What helped me.. was using Adobe Bridge, shooting in RAW format and editing the RAW images with Adobe Camera Raw.
I can usually do 90% of what I need in Camera Raw.

This is a decent book to help you out...

http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Camera-Adobe-Photoshop/dp/0321713095
I shoot both JPG and RAW but feel that I do not know how to use the PS RAW besides click Auto. What is Adobe Bridge?

+1 I shoot raw, and just play play play! If you have a laptop, put PS on your laptop!
A laptop is all I have. And PS is installed, just feel that I do not know how to do things. For example, cannot understand how to use layers properly as well as other features.

I recommend Kelby Training, as it has lots of Photoshop video courses. Being online, it goes where you go as long as you have an Internet connection.
Thanks, I will look into it. I was thinking of Joining NAPP. Should I do Kelbytraining instead?

I suggest you purchase Lightroom as it is far more intuitive to use for raw processing than Photoshop as that is what it is designed for.
You can learn plenty here: http://tv.adobe.com/ in manageable and repeatable bits - all for free!
Thanks. I did a trial version of Lightroom and was confused. Gosh, I feel like my dad feels with computers. This should not be that difficult.

+1 for Kelby
THanks.

One step at a time and build. Start with the basics.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/episode-11/ Thanks.

There are around 30 in the series and more if you watch Adobe .TV

I recommend Kelby Training, as it has lots of Photoshop video courses. Being online, it goes where you go as long as you have an Internet connection.
Another good option for online video training is Lynda.com.

I believe that both Kelby and Lynda.com offer free sample lessons to view so that you can compare the two to help determine which you prefer.

I put in my vote for all 3....Lynda , Kelby Training and Adobe TV...find a copy of Lightroom...it is much easier to navigate than PS and will also manage your files better......even tho I have PS4 I have almost quit using PS since I started using LightRoom.....PS is used only for pixel editing and that is not hardly ever.

I put in my vote for all 3....Lynda , Kelby Training and Adobe TV...find a copy of Lightroom...it is much easier to navigate than PS and will also manage your files better...........
I agree completely. I've used all 3 video training sites, but have settled on the Lynda.com site for new releases. Trying to learn from a book is almost useless for me.

Real Name
Luis Casals
Yes, be patient, its not something you can learn in a weekend.

Google; Damien Symonds

I understand, I just do not seem to know where to start.

All, Thanks for the valuable information.

layers are a great asset, they allow you to make diffrent changes to diffrent parts of the photo without "changing" it till you flatten the image.

Real Name
Luis Casals
OK. I guess that I need to start from the start.

Here is where I get frustrated. I go somewhere take some or many pictures in both JPEG and RAW.

What Software should I use to quickly look at the photos and
1- Segregate the ones that I want to keep and discard the ones tha are no good.
2- Process the ones the keeper ones.
3- Any suggestions on processing RAW files?

Real Name
Mike
OK. I guess that I need to start from the start.

Here is where I get frustrated. I go somewhere take some or many pictures in both JPEG and RAW.

What Software should I use to quickly look at the photos and
1- Segregate the ones that I want to keep and discard the ones tha are no good.
2- Process the ones the keeper ones.
3- Any suggestions on processing RAW files?
I am still a neophyte in post processing, but there are some great suggestions in this thread and I am still learning.

The free option that meets the three items in your list is Nikon's View NX 2. This application will allow you to download, rename, view, screen (trash or treasure), modify metadata, attach geotagging information, perform some editing on the RAW images, and output them as TIFF or JPG files. It will also allow you to send a file to an external application, such as Capture NX 2 or Photoshop CS5, for more processing. Unfortunately, VNX2 does not provide asset management features found in applications like Aperture 3 or Lightroom 3.

The more expensive option is Lightroom 3, with Photoshop Elements or CS5 for extra processing. I am considering making the migration from VNX2/CNX2 to LR3/CS5 because I want the integrated asset management, and I'm impressed with its ability to work seamlessly with CS5 to manage the RAW files.

The only thing slowing me is the learning curve of the Adobe products, which will be addressed through the educational resources in this thread. If you are starting with a blank slate, I recommend the Adobe path, because the knowledge base is wide. I own all of the products I've mentioned above, and regret not picking one early on and staying with it. All of these applications have a free trial period ranging from 30 to 60 days.

I would also pick a camera image format (RAW or JPG) and abandon the other unless you have a need for both formats. I shot both formats in the beginning and never used the JPG files. Now I shoot exclusively RAW, and although I am satisfied with the images out of the camera, with sharpening and cropping applied in post-processing, I like the ability to make non-destructive changes as required or desired.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom