Looking for a new backpack..

I know this has probably been beaten to death but I Read through a couple pages of posts and couldn't find too much.. Looking for first hand experiences with large backpacks..

I am currently using a tamrac of unknown origin.. I need just a little bit more room.. Not sure of the model number.. It has a sleeve in teh back for a laptop and it's quite deep..

What fits in the current backpack:
1 D3 with 70-200 attached
4 sb-900
1 su-800
24-70
85 f/1.4
35 f/1.4
3 PW II
extra batteries and memory cards

I'd like to add my second D3, 14-24 and my 105vr..

My current bag is exploding at the seams :) There are also a couple manfrotto clamps and a orbis ringflash hanging from various areas of the bag.. I carry my lightstands with a camera strap seperate of the backpack.. All recommendations would be most appreciated. If you have a picture of your bag with all the current gear in it that would also help so I can visualize the configuration of your bag.. I was originally looking for a roller backpack,, I have the second to the largest Think Tank Roller and it won't hold everything that my backpack holds..

Thanks in Advance..

Doug

Last time I Was looking at bags I believe this is one that came up quite a few times.. It looks like it might be the answer... Thanks bill.. Where did you purchase your bag? The last time I looked there was some sort of nature photography supply that had them..

Thanks again Bill.. I think I was looking at their vids on the bag last night..

I agree that the Kiboko might be your best option. It isn't a roller, but it is very well made and the harness system is excellent.

Besides buying direct from Gura Gear, the Naturescapes.net store also carries it.

As the other posters noted, there are three sellers of the Kiboko backpack:

1. Gura Gear
2. Naturescapes.net
3. Outdoorphotogear.com

It is a well made backpack.

You can also look at www.fstopgear.com where they have several sizes of backpacks that you add icu units to hold the camera gear as well as lots of external pockets. You can pick the size of the icu units depending on the amount of gear you are carrying at the time. I use the Loka with a small ICU that holds my D90 plus 2 lenses with lots of room for extra hiking clothes. Check them out too, just my two cents. :)

give the thinktank a look also if you have a retailer local brink you camera and load one up. I had the tamrac Expo 5 or 6. layout was fine, loaded down pads did cause shoulder fatigue. had it only couple months.

I have the Thinktank, street walker pro, very comfortable, side pouch for laptop or ipad
If I were making a camera bag, I would end up making the streetwalker pro

GL

Shutterbug I looked at the fstop site and teh only drawback is they don't show any full bag shots so its hard to tell what will fit..

Picturepro I have the second to largest thinktank roller and it won't fit my gear listed in the original post.. The streetwalker is way too small for my needs....

My Kata 205 holds a D3, D2xs, 17-55/2.8, 85/1.8, 70-200/2.8 VR, 50/1.8, 11-16 Tammy along with 2 extra batteries, remote, filters, small reflectors etc. Kata bakes a roller insert - I don't have the insert - I prefer to carry.

You can't go wrong with the Kiboku bag. They have a new version out...and believe it or not, they improved over the original bag, which is what I still have and LOVE. They eliminated half of the zipper pulls, and have zipper covers to protect things on the inside.

I also still own a Think Tank Security v2 roller. I love it too, but I can't fit the gear in it that I can in the Kiboku. Andy Biggs (owner and creator of Gura Gear, who makes the Kiboku) is about as fine a gentlemen as you can find. If you have any issues at all with the Kiboku...they stand behind their product. With that said, per Andy, they have hardly had ANY returns on their bags.

They just got another shippment in and I suggest you get one if your serious. This bag is one hot seller and before you know it, they will be out of stock again.

Jason do I have to ask for the newer version or is there only newer versions around? Or do you like the original more? I am going to pull the trigger on one of these in the next day or two..

I believe they only have the new verision in stock, but I am not sure. They have not updated their website to show the new verision, but they are in the process of going through a major rebrand and are upgrading their website, etc...

The new verision is called Kiboko 30L, and its basically the same as the older verision with some updates. Half of zipper pulls removed, zipper garages for interior zippers, more padding in the lower back area, and a removeable waist belt I believe.

I would suggest you contact Gura Gear directly and inquire about the new bag or order it through Naturescapes. Both places will take care of you. You will NOT be disappointed in the bag...its a dream to shoot out of.

Right on Jason thanks or all the info.. Hopefully I won't regret it's size hahahahaha.. I saw the pics of your 600 in there.. The bag must be a beast :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom