Looking for a new Telephoto lens

SRA

What sports are you shooting Scott

By the way great to see Ya:)))

Thanks Gale, nice to hear from you.

One daughter is in track, one in gymnastics, one in Ballroom Dance, one in cycling, one in Kick Boxing, and the last one too young to know yet.

BTW, I just visited Inkleys in Salt Lake City and they had a 200-400mm attached to a D2Xs. What a beautiful piece of glass. Heavy too. The store attendant told me it was one of the few 400mm that could be shot handheld. Not something I see myself doing.

Inkleys was asking $4,500 for it. This was a price that was about $400 more than B&H.

Just a few sprots Scott:>)))))
You deffinately need a 2.8 something:>))) Well it ill all be fun Scott..
Glad one is dancing:>))

I think Mike Mac is selling his 200-400. Drop him a PM.
His equip is pristine. He is a wonderful person.

SRA

Not at all a bad choice, the 200-400 is hand-holdable, but not like the 70-200 :wink:. For sports it is great on a monopod, the only downside to this is f4 vs f2.8 if your daughter plays any "late day" or evening games. AF is very good, not quite as "snappy" as the 400 f2.8. So, now that we have helped you to spend some BIG BUCKS :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: PUHLEEZZEEEEEE expound on the comment highlighted in RED above. No weasly words allowed, we want the Truth, the Whole Truth, So Help You NIKON!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Retief,

Short story. When the D2x was announced, my local camera store, always willing to spend my money, contacted me about a new upcoming hot camera from Nikon. They said they would be receiving two. Well, I was very interested and made a down payment and after the official announcement, I paid in full. They said that I received one of the first of two D2x's in Utah. As I recall on the web, there were many professionals complaining that they could not get one and I got mine in early February. It was pretty new off the press and has four 0’s at the beginning of the serial number.

Well this store has always been good to me. So, just last week they said that through the same communication channel as before, they found out that there would be a new upcoming hot pro level camera from Nikon. They then asked if I was interested in being one of the first two to get one in Utah? Of course I said yes and have placed my initial deposit.

The only info they have, and you have to remember that this is hearsay upon hearsay, is that it will be a 20 meg full frame that will be able to crop down, much like the D2xs, to 10 meg. This will allow continued use of the DX lens system and allow for higher shot rates. They have cautioned that all of this is preliminary and that there is no new name for this, as yet, unannounced camera.

I used the name Nikon D3 for sake of morbid temptation. :Devil:

That’s all I have other than they, my camera store, said the scheduled announcement is set for late August 2007.

My shift at the rumor mill is now over, thank you.

The only sad part of this story is that that early model D2x, the one that has traveled the world with me, is in Nikon repair for hot pixels on the sensor. I have been loaned a D80 with grip for the duration.

SRA

Just a few sprots Scott:>)))))
You deffinately need a 2.8 something:>))) Well it ill all be fun Scott..
Glad one is dancing:>))

I think Mike Mac is selling his 200-400. Drop him a PM.
His equip is pristine. He is a wonderful person.

I saw that and am currently counting pennies. :wink:

If you check out the internet stores the model number varies. So far I've seen 135306 for the latest and greatest and 135110. B&H carries differing prices for the two models. A few stores are showing the 135306 for $21xx but frankly I suspect no one in their right mind would discount that much from B&H's price (also $2,699)...so I'm goning to guess you'll get the iten with the older model number...and if queried they will say...what number? :rolleyes:

Sigma4less is listing the DG version for USD 2,159.95 and the non DG version for USD 2,149.95. That's just 10 more.:confused:

Bill,

I think selling the 80-400 is a definite possiblity.
Scott :

The 80-400mm VR lens is a fine lens. It's eminently handholdable, the VR works well, and it's reasonably crisp. It's not a low-light lens, per se, although it can be used in that circumstance with judicious care. This lens has a learning curve, and once you ascend the curve, it's a fine lens, especially in "walkabout" shooting.

But once I moved over to the 200-400mm VR/AFS f/4 lens, I dropped my use dramatically on the 80-400mm. The focus speed of the 200-400mm is hugely faster, and my "hit rate" went up correspondingly. An extra stop of speed wasn't so bad either. It works extremely well for me with the TC14EII and the TC17EII, as well.

After that, in the Nikon line, you're either into the 300mm f/2.8 or the 400mm f/2.8, both great lenses, but not as flexible as a zoom.

John P.

If you check out the internet stores the model number varies. So far I've seen 135306 for the latest and greatest and 135110. B&H carries differing prices for the two models. A few stores are showing the 135306 for $21xx but frankly I suspect no one in their right mind would discount that much from B&H's price (also $2,699)...so I'm goning to guess you'll get the iten with the older model number...and if queried they will say...what number? :rolleyes:

I'll just keep an eye out for the prices. According to Elliott at the store this one not only has the newer coating but different electronics. I suspect prices will slide downward with time. I only "need" it for our June trip to the great white north to visit ToLady and Frits.

Rich

I did more checking and found a few posts in other sites which said Sigma4less ships gray market lenses. That's an assertion, of course, but it made me nervous. I eventually ordered mine through Amazon's affiliated dealer for $2,289. It is the correct model 135306 (DG coating) and states USA warranty. Finally being affiliated with Amazon, should there be any "issues" I think there would be more leverage for resolution.

I'll post my results. I am always leery of the bottom dwelling sellers on the internet; especially the lowest ones.

Rich

By "wildlife" you think deer, elk go with the 200-400 VR, by "wildlife" you think birds go Sigma 300-800MM DG. At some point you are going to move that ball head to another location (window mount) and put a full Wimberly on that tripod.

BTW, I just visited Inkleys in Salt Lake City and they had a 200-400mm attached to a D2Xs. What a beautiful piece of glass. Heavy too. The store attendant told me it was one of the few 400mm that could be shot handheld. Not something I see myself doing.

Inkleys was asking $4,500 for it. This was a price that was about $400 more than B&H.

You might look at Pictureline in Salt Lake or Pixels in Sandy as well.

Pixels doesn't have one....I looked.

I am in the market for a 200-400 as well.

Scott....which Inkleys had the lens...would love to go check it out.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

SRA

Pixels doesn't have one....I looked.

I am in the market for a 200-400 as well.

Scott....which Inkleys had the lens...would love to go check it out.

Good luck!

Sorry for the late reaponse. Had to get grades in.

The Inkleys on State street had, they said, two lenses in stock.

Latest threads

Top Bottom