Looking for a P&S for My Sister....

My sister would like to get a good P&S camera with the following features as priorities:

a. Long Zoom to shoot wildlife.
b. Burst mode
c. Viewfinder
d. Budget: Around $400

Doing a quick search at B&H's site, I found these two that meet these criteria:

Canon Powershot SX50 HS
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? If not, are there any others that meet the criteria and that you'd recommend?

My sister is NOT an experienced or serious photographer, but wants a "good zoom" camera for our trip across country later this year. She hopes to shoot some wildlife with the camera.

Any help with this would appreciated.

Thanks!

My sister would like to get a good P&S camera with the following features as priorities:

a. Long Zoom to shoot wildlife.
b. Burst mode
c. Viewfinder
d. Budget: Around $400

Doing a quick search at B&H's site, I found these two that meet these criteria:

Canon Powershot SX50 HS
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? If not, are there any others that meet the criteria and that you'd recommend?

My sister is NOT an experienced or serious photographer, but wants a "good zoom" camera for our trip across country later this year. She hopes to shoot some wildlife with the camera.

Any help with this would appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't have experience with any of the super zoom cameras so I'm no help there, but you might take a look at the forums on DPReview.com, there are some specific forums there where you are likely to find a lot of discussion the merits of those cameras.

I don't have experience with any of the super zoom cameras so I'm no help there, but you might take a look at the forums on DPReview.com, there are some specific forums there where you are likely to find a lot of discussion the merits of those cameras.

Will do.

Thanks, Mike!

I had the Canon SX20 for a while, guessing the 50 wouldn't be a whole lot different. It left quite a bit to be desired if you want to use it for more than pointing and shooting. I found it rather slow, manual controls sucked, manual focus was laughable at best.

Maybe the 50 is better. If the things listed above wouldn't matter to her, it made decent enough files.

I had the Canon SX20 for a while, guessing the 50 wouldn't be a whole lot different. It left quite a bit to be desired if you want to use it for more than pointing and shooting. I found it rather slow, manual controls sucked, manual focus was laughable at best.

Maybe the 50 is better. If the things listed above wouldn't matter to her, it made decent enough files.

Manual ANYTHING wouldn't matter to her. What she wants is to literally just point, zoom and shoot .... and get a great shot automagically. (Don't we all...) The more automatic the operation to get perfect photos the better. LOL!

I know that sort of camera doesn't exist, but I'm looking for something that isn't too complicated and would allow her to get a few keepers of wildlife from a distance. In the past she's expressed frustration that her images don't match the IQ that I get with my gear. I've tried to explain that both gear and knowledge/experience matter. But she wants instant results without working too hard for it (or spending too much).

So, after doing a bit more research, I've come across a third possibility - the Sony DSC-HX200V. Does anyone have any information/comments about it?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom