1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Looking for a P&S Superzoom for a backup

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon System Cameras' started by dengar, Jul 22, 2008.

1. I used to have a Panasonic FZ20 before I bought my D50. Outdoors its a great 12x camera so I was thinking of picking up another used one for those times I dont want to lug lenses around. Are there any other good superzooms besides the Panasonics? I know Canon had a few but I dont enough about them. Thanks.

2. Mike S

Mike S

Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle, WA USA
    My wife has the FZ18. Really great camera.

AP3.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3. I don't know about anymore, but before my D70s, I had an Olympus ultrazoom... back then that meant "only" 10x. I loved that camera! Nice pics, sharp, clear, good macro, and best of all, very nice manual/aperture/shutter modes, almost full controls. They probably still make a newer version of this one.

4. If you want real big zoom range, take a look at the Olympus 570. It's a 20x zoom (26 to 520 equivalent) in a very compact body, with quite nice picture quality.

5. Phil, that looks like the newest version of the model I had. Loved it!

6. Yes Shaun. I also have an older model(550) and like it very much.

7. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    I just jumped in with a Canon G9. I gave it a pretty good workout tonight, shooting a couple hundred frames at a horse show, with very little time in the manual to figure it out, so it remains to be seen how it will work out. It is already obvious that it is way more capable than I am.

-- Russ

8. FZ30 would fit the bill

...if you can find a used one. Its always been a top rated super zoom for out doors and has manual zoom for its movie functions.

I used my FZ30 as my back up to my D50 on my China trip last year and it came through great. I haven't kept up much with Pany's latest offerings but the Leica glass is hard to beat.

The FZ30 compared quite well to a 20D...
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/panasonic_lumix_dmc-fz30_canon_eos-20d_camera_shootout/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.