Looking for a small external drive for transferring files...

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Donzo98, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Hi Guys...

I am looking for an external HD to transfer pics and files from work. I want something bigger than a 4gb flash drive though. Maybe something like a "calculator " size or a little bigger. I prefer USB 2.0. No power cord if possible too. 100 Gigs at least. Any suggestions?

2. The new Hyperspace with 160 GB: small, very fast filetransfer, not too expensive.

3. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Not finding that on my Google search. :eek:

4. mallaig

mallaig

Mar 12, 2006
    Don, I have a 120GB Western Digital Passport drive which is USB powered. It also comes in 160GB (or smaller) but this one was the best bang for the buck. Having said that, neither of them are very expensive. The drive looks sleek and performs very well, in excess of 30MB/s sustained transfer speeds.

Cheers.

5. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I was looking at those just this AM.:biggrin::biggrin:They even have a 250 GB now. I think the 120 would be fine for me as well. I am looking to order one ASAP.

6. I use LaCie's "Rugged" external HD for at-home use and carrying on the road when traveling. They are already formatted for the Mac and they come in various sizes (40 GB, 80 GB and all the way up to 160 GB). They can use USB or FW and come with the appropriate cables. They're called "Rugged" because they are meant for travel and have a bright orange "bumper" all around the device for additional protection against knocks and jolts. These are great for frequent transporting. Mine go with me on the road while my G-Tech external drives stay cozily and safely at home. Yes, I'd say that it's about the size of a medium-sized handheld calculator....

Also I have LaCie's very useful little "CarteOrange," which is a handy 4 GB credit-card sized external flash drive. It comes in handy when I have something larger than 2 GB to transfer and yet not so large that I need to pull out a bigger HD. I usually take it along on trips, too. When we were in Alabama I discovered that I'd forgotten to print out something important, so stuck the "CarteOrange" into my MBP, copied the file over, then got on the elevator and went downstairs to the hotel lobby to use the PC there. Stuck the USB into their machine, hit "print" and voila! The bright orange color is great for quickly locating, as opposed to my tiny little silver 2 GB thumbdrives.

The Apple store carries the "Rugged," and I have also seen them at MicroCenter.

7. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Another LaCie Rugged user here. Very pleased with it. Bus-powered, no power chord.

8. Don, I think Sabina was pointing you towards the new HD Space unit from Hyperdrive. Awsome product that you can use as a portable battery powered file tank on the road and can also be used as a standard connected USB drive for moving your files. This is the replacement unit for my HD80 Hyperdrive which has been awesome so far. You can pick from different hard drive sizes or buy the bare unit and install a 2.5" drive of your choice. I'm preferential to Seagate drives with their 5 year warranty so I went the bare chassis route and installed my own drive. Details can be found here: http://www.hypershop.com/shop/

Cheers!

9. I use a LaCie Skwarim and find it perfect for the task you describe.

I take it along with my laptop on trips. After downloading a card into Aperture on the laptop I make a backup copy of the library on the Skwarim before erasing the card and then keep/pack the laptop and the drive in separate places.

10. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Another happy LaCie user here.

Very good prices on the clearance items. (Have bought several)

11. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    The LaCie Rugged looks good, I have an older Seagate one that I like as well. Another option for you, do you have an old laptop hard drive laying around? If you do then I also have one of these that you can just stick a 2.5 drive in and is also bus powered. I can't be 100% sure this is the one I have as the one I have was CompUSA branded. But looks like it. The thing to look for in this type of case is how the drive is mounted. In the one I have the drive slides in the pins in the case and then is screwed onto a mounting plate. Many are only secured by the pins on the drive.

12. This works GREAT for me

I have one of these FW 2.5" external cases with this 120 GIG HD. It is small, light, computer powered and works great with my 13" MacBook for downloading and storing images when traveling.

It's been through airport security (US and foreign) many times and never lost a "bit".

Chet

13. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Don,

Sometime back, Jim Fenton posted a couple of Seagate or Western Digital pocket drives for a very good price. You may want to send him a PM or email to see if he still has them.

14. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I have an Iomega 160 GB drive. Small, light, no PS. Very happy with it.

15. Best Buy has some on sale

Best Buy has the Seagate FreeAgent Go 160GB bus-powered drives on sale for $114. I just got one and reformatted it and copied some videos to it for my son. Works great and has a 5 year warranty.

16. starman

starman

Oct 4, 2006
    NW UK
    re External HD

Hi,
    I have the Western Digital,works great

17. trublu

trublu

Jul 23, 2007
    nyc
  18. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Check out Other World Computing

I use to use nothing but LaCie, until I found a local company Other World Computing. Testing Side by Side, the OWC drives always out perform the LaCie.

They make a drive called the On The Go Drive.
    Ron

19. trublu

trublu

Jul 23, 2007
    nyc
    Thought some might be interested in this. Pretty good bang for the buck.

250GB Western Digital Passport Portable for $150

Use promo code EMC911HDD01.