Looking for advice - to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Luckynp, Aug 19, 2005.

1. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm a new visitor to the D2x forum.

I've had my D70 for around 14 months and I have loved it. From being mildly interested I have become a pasionate if not yet very skilled photographer. I have succumbed to lens lust and now have a 17-55DX and 70-200 VR. I've tried all kinds of new things and had an incredible time.

For some time I have been waiting for the announcement of the D200. I would really like more pixels, better performance, a vertical grip etc. I had one on my last film camera and really liked it.

In the last couple of months I have decided that I don't want to wait any more. Even if the latest rumours are true and the announcement is imminent it will be several months before it is launched in the UK, another 2-3 months before you can get your hands on one, and I never like to get an early example anyway.

I have 95% decided to get a D2X. I am enticed by the spec and excited by the prospect of having a pro camera as I have enjoyed my pro glass so much.

I am a mostly retired person with a very understanding wife and a summer freelance web design contract which will cover the cost. So I have started looking in forums here and elsewhere to see if there are any issues, and I am a little worried. I see reports of focus problems, including one guy from the UK on DP Review who claims to have gone through 8 new bodies without getting a satisfactory one.

Is this normal or is it an example of DP Review paranoia? If I go ahead with the purchase will it bring me pain rather than joy? Do a significant number of D2Xs have problems?

I don't mind if the D2X turns out to be a demanding camera which really stretches me and forces me to learn. That's what I've loved about the past year. I just don't want to end up with buyer's remorse.

I'd really welcome your helpful and informed advice.

2. Mike,
    It's DPReview paranoia. I have both the D2H and the D2X. I haven't had a any problems with my D2X. However why not wait till the D200 comes out? You may be able to save a couple of thousand by not getting features you may never use.

Assuming that there may be a focus problem the concensus is that it is software related. I believe it was Jim Fenton who described the phenominon here and as I recall he felt it was in the software. My money is on an imminent fix.

On the other hand, if you can afford the D2X why not get it? LIke you I'm on the cusp of retirement. My next door neighbor has been putting off travel for "sometime later." His wife just had heart problems which preclude any overseas travel. Tempest fugit.

Rich

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I saw that post on DPR and just cannot believe anyone could get 8 bad bodies in a row. The D2X IS a demanding camera and will certainly test your technique. However, it is also an amazing piece of equipment. Buy one :twisted:

4. The D2X is indeed a wonderful camera.

It can take some getting used to, no matter how clever you might be. I had one lens giving me fits more than the camera did, and I went through three copies learning essentially just that.

And after all the fuss I had the opportunity to back out. I didn't take it.

Just give yourself time, spend energy making images, not looking for problems and be careful how you process them and you will not be disappointed.

5. Mike,
    I'm not a gearhead but I am extremely anal about the end results. To be honest, there are times when I'm less than thrilled with some of the images. No fault of the camera but rather a misjudgement on my part pertaining to exposure or shake or whatever. But I can say that when I'm not making stupid mistakes the images are outstanding, far exceeding my expectations.

I do a lot of PS work and I find even on the less than stellar images that they hold up well to pp. I'm still shooting jpg as I am concerned about having to upgrade my computer stuff right now. I would suspect raw would provide greater latitude.

As for mechanical troubles, I haven't had any with my cam. The first camera I bought did have some major issues and was returned within a week. The replacement camera has been perfect.

For me, the D2x is perfect. I can't begin to tell you how good it feels in the hand. It becomes an extension of my arm/hand. It's comfortable, sturdy, has logical control layout, not too heavy and not too light. It's not cheap and may not be for everyone but I just couldn't imagine a better option for me.

I love the speed, the build, the quality, the options, the flexibility and responsiveness.

I've toyed with the idea that maybe I should downgrade to the D200 (D2x's mini-me) but honestly don't think I would, even if it were to mean having extra $ for a 500mm. ;) The size of the body is just perfect for me and I don't think I'd be happy with a smaller version.

Commercial over...

6. Hi Mike,

I totally agree with Beezle. It is a camera that will demand that you use it's capabilities to get sharp images. It sounds to me like you have the skills and patience to deal with the D2X. I have the X and I guess i was just lucky to get one that didn't have any focusing issues from the start.

Good luck with your decision.

7. I don't have one but I am intrigued by having a 12mp camera. I am used to shooting with a pro body and currently have the D2H which is a fine camera in its own right.

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I read that story too. 8 in a row is hard to swallow, but I will say that my D2x is in the shop for a front focus problem as we speak. Having to go back to using my D70, while it is a great little camera, has made me appreciate the D2x even more.

I am not sorry that I went with the D2x and I am a novice photographer who uses it mainly for captureing my kids. My paying gigs are for product photography for web catalogs and the D70 is more than enought for that.

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Your photography background sounds similar to mine. I got into photography about 2 years ago, bought the D70 shortly after release, and have been getting more and more into photography ever since.

I say go for the D2x if it's what you want. I just upgraded and let me tell you it's an awesome camera. It improves on the D70 in pretty much every way imagineable except size and weight (which for me aren't an issue). The cropping abilities that 12mp files give you are really convenient. The speed, AF, and all-around ergonomics are just great.

Having had a D70 with backfocus that had to be sent to Nikon for adjustment, I was also worried about the reports of focus issues. The first thing I did when my D2x arrived was test the main cross-type sensors for focusing problems, and fortunately they seem to be working just fine. If you are unlucky enough to have a problem I think you can be pretty confident that Nikon will take care of you. My service experience with them on the D70 went very smoothly.

BTW I can recommend Cameta Camera for your purchase, they seem to have the best price out of the legit dealers. They are an authorized dealer and sell USA product with full warranty. You don't have to bid on Ebay to purchase, you can call them and buy direct (which is what I did to make sure I got the purchase protection from my Amex).

10. Thanks for all the replies, especially as they say what I wanted to hear. I suspect you have all sensed that, while I do not need a D2X, I desperately want one.

11. Mike, while I don't use the "desperatley" word in my case, I am in a similar quandry. You may find some more detailed information in my thread in this forum as well as in the Lens forum. I am still waffling myself, but if someone were to force me into a decision today, my guess is that 99% of the folks here would get it right.....

12. Mike, the D2X is a great camera. I bought one of the early ones and it did have focus problems. I sent it back and Cameta sent me a new one and it has performed perfectly.

13. Robin Casady

Robin Casady

Aug 13, 2005
    It's a slippery slope

If you get a D2x you may have to upgrade your printer. I just placed a preorder for an Epson 7800 to replace a 2200. :)

IMO, the D2x is like shooting medium format. It's increased resolution requires more care to get optimum results. There is more you will want to learn to make the most of the camera. The D2x is a serious camera for serious fun. It is a good camera for pushing your technique to new levels. If you want your photography to grow, the D2x can give you lots of room to expand your abilities.

You should not get a D2x if you are just shooting for the web. You should not get a D2x if you don't print larger than 8x10". You should not get a D2x if what you enjoy is shooting snapshots. If you like to think about what you are shooting, and how best to do it, the D2x is a good choice.

When the D2x came out, a Nikon exec. said that the D200 will have some aspect that are superior to the D2x. I suspect that means that it will be something like the D70 coming out after the D100. The D70, due to improved technology, has some features that are improvements over the higher priced D100. However, the D100 still had some advantages.

I suspect that the D200 will be a generation beyond the D2x in aspects Nikon is very actively working on. Perhaps they will be things like lower noise and/or autofocus improvements. Or, perhaps it will introduce some new technological innovation. I'll be very surprised if it meets or exceeds the D2x in resolution, FPS, or other performance aspects that generally required more $$$. My bet would be that the D200 will have better anti-lock brakes, and/or traction control, but not a bigger engine.

Robin
    http://www.robincasady.com