Looking for Advice

I've been asked to document a fund-raising dinner tomorrow evening at the Historical Society. It's going to be a fun volunteer opportunity, and I'm excited about it, but of course I'm nervous as well because I want to do a good job. I'm wondering if people who have done similar projects have any advice, especially regarding flash use? Most of the shots will likely be couples/groups posing for the camera as they're seated at round tables.

I don't have much in the way of gear. I'm shooting with a Nikon D40 and a separate flash unit (mounted on the hot shoe). If you think it would be best just to use auto settings, I'd do that.

Make sure you are not shooting directly from the flash. Bounce or use a some softening device.

Also, expirement with the flash way before the event and get comfortable wi the setup.

I've done this many times and it really makes my photos stand out from those using direct flash.

It's a Minolta flash from my film days. It doesn't pivot so I can't really do much about the direction, but I could probably rig up a diffuser out of some paper.

Does it tilt upwards?

Don't let people talk down to you about your D40. It's a very capable camera. But without being able to twist or angle your flash, I would get a cheap Stofen diffuser for it ($20) and turn your flash exposure down to -0.3 or -0.7 to keep the direct flash from being too harsh. That's if your flash can be controlled by your D40. If it cannot be controlled by your D40, and you are going to have to shoot full manual, good luck. That will be tough. Practice, practice, practice!

Shoot in manual when using flash. Aperture controls flash, and shutter speed controls ambient light.

If you can angle your flash upwards, though, just bounce it off of the ceiling. It'll fill the room nicely, even in rooms with 12-15 foot ceilings, and offers natural light.

John?,

Welcome to the Cafe. Have you previously used the Minolta flash successfully off the D40 hotshoe? If so, it's probably in M (manually) mode. I can't imagine Nikon CLS/iTTL working with a Minolta flash.

I concur with the others and use a bounce flash or a diffuser. If you don't have a light modifier and can't acquire one before the event, try the Better Bounce Card. I have and it works pretty well.

This might be a good opportunity to acquire a SB-600, a very capable Nikon SpeedLight or light modifier like LumiQuest

What lenses do you have? Depending on the setting, a wide-angle zoom to telephoto zoom may be in order. Fast std primes (30mm-85mm) work well in this setting because the lenses are not big and intimidating plus it gives you the capability to shoot in ambient light.

Most definitely test your equipment with different settings; I would test with A mode (f/wide open - f/4) and M mode with ss (1/60 or faster with f/wide open - f/4) with the flash. Shoot RAW, set a custom WB when you arrive. I don't know the D40 ISO performance, you could set the auto ISO < 800.

I hope this helps. Good luck. :smile:

If you can't point it straight up, I agree with the suggestions to diffuse it. Also turn the power way down if it is going straight at the people.

Hey John -

Since your event is tomorrow, I'll echo some of the advice you've received already: get to the venue as early as you can and practice, practice, practice - with the angles of the flash, searching out good possibilities for posing the couples or groups with backgrounds that aren't overly busy, too close or otherwise distracting, etc.

Using a white coffee filter (secure it with a rubber band) as a diffuser on your flash is a great idea; use manual mode (for exposure of course, not focusing - :smile:) to dial in good settings during your experiments with it.

I have a feeling that you will do just fine and that you will exceed expectations.

Let us know how it goes . . .

I'd say that, in addition to all the good technical advice, you must try not to overlook the most important thing of all: the people you'll be photographing.

A great expression, an interesting if flawed shot, is worth more to me (and to many people) than a technically perfect boring mug-shot. I don't mean to suggest that anything you do will be flawed, just that perfection comes in different flavours!

Good luck, and above all enjoy the experience and you'll do well.

Since I know you're probably all unable to sleep for wondering how things went, I figured I'd check in with a report. Things went pretty well. I just finished reviewing the shots and there are enough decent ones even before editing that I consider the night a success. It helps that they're not used to having any images at all, so they're happy just to have some documentation.

Peter, thank you for that last comment about getting the interesting shots vs. perfect shots. That's exactly how I feel as well. Part of that is because I'm a social phobic, so my usual MO is to slink around the edges and capture as much as I can of what's going on without being intrusive. Projects like this will hopefully help me get better at more formal shots where people are posing.

Anyway, thank you all again. The tips were extremely helpful.

Latest threads

Top Bottom