Looking for BF-3A lens cap for a teleconverter

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by mnp13, Aug 8, 2017.

1. mnp13

mnp13

Jul 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    So, the websites that claim that the BF-xx (often the BF-1B) is a "replacement" for the BF-3A are all liars. The only cap that fits the teleconverters that need the BF-3A actually is the BF-3A.

Or at least that's what I'm finding out as I look and look and look for one.

Anyone have an extra they want to sell? Anyone know where I can find one? Any non-nikon suppliers that make that particular size?

It's gray, apparently they made it a different color because it look almost exactly like all the other body caps except it isn't exactly the right size so it doesn't fit unless you force it. And that's really not recommended.

2. I don't remember all numbers, but I once got the wrong one stuck on a TC. I believe i used my entire repertoire of 4-letter words, several times over in the hour it took me to get the #$#@& thing off.

3. mnp13

mnp13

Jul 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, that's the problem. The wrong one allllllllmost fits on there, but really doesn't. It's really annoying.

4. Michelle,
    As to the specifics of your tele-converter problem, I have no idea what you are talking about because I don't shoot with up-to-date digital equipment, but as a general solution, I'll suggest what I do when I need a cap for this or that lens or teleconverter: take the item to a Supermarket, or drug store and check caps on various bottles or product packages, until you find something that either fits perfectly or can be easily modified to do so.
    I have lenses and lens hoods that are capped with spice jar caps, tennis ball tube caps, baby cream caps and even a modified lunch box plastic muffin holder.
    These things were all "free' as we used the contents before I grabbed the cap, there weren't any shipping costs and they didn't cost a King's Ransom as do most accessories whose name is prefixed with the word "Photo".
    I hope this helps.
    Robert

5. You can't ad hoc a tc cap or it will get stuck
    Even the lens cap won't work

6. mnp13

mnp13

Jul 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Not a bad idea! But on another note - this is definitely not "up-to-date" equipment, that's why I can't find one! lol

7. Archived information on Nikon's site has this to say about the BF-3A:
    "BF-3A Front Mount Cap for Nikkor AF-S Teleconverters.
    Can also be used as a body cap.
    Black in color.
    The BF-3A is a Front Mount Cap for the NIKKOR Teleconverters
    ."

My 2x TC20E for my 80-200 AFS-D, came with one. I have a BF-1B for my D810 and a BF-1A in my "pile of stuff."

BUT, here is what KR (and I'm to last person on Earth to push him :rolleyes::eek::mad:) had to say in a dated article:
    Nikon Body Caps

8. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Same thing happened to me! So frustrating. And it had me scared to to use the tele! LOL! Both the "authentic" cap and and my lens caps were black. Finally I took a small piece of paper labeled "tele" and taped it inside the correct cap for the tele. But I still hesitated every time I had to put the cap back on! LOL!

9. DudleyG

DudleyG

Feb 6, 2006
    Lexington, Ky
    KEH in Georgia (USA) shows they have a BF-3 in stock for $7.00. They include the correct picture BUT they don't show actual pictures of the product in their possession (for any of their items). A call to them might get you more info if the item is really what you. I agree, the cap you are looking for is very different than the rear caps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mnp13

mnp13

Jul 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    According to Nikon there is no such thing as a BF-3. I just chatted with someone from there, about that exact product on KEH's website. I tried calling KEH, no answer.

**update, got a person at KEH. He had no idea what I was talking about, so he transferred me to someone else, who wasn't at their desk, so I left a message.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  11. BF-3B is what you're looking for. (y) I have all three TC's (the latest versions)
    There's a raised rib and corresponding 'dot' to align with the white dot on TC body.
    To avoid miss-threading I place red nail polish on the BF-3B's 'dot'. Simply line up
    with the TC's white dot and you'll never swear at the cap again. Promise. :ROFLMAO:

Curiosity got the better of me...
    The TC-17E II's cap is a BF-3A and is a lighter gray than the newer 3B's. No
    raised rib on the edge...just a 'dot'. The older TC-14E II and TC-20E II's also
    sported this lighter gray. All are Made in Japan (therefore sharpness guaranteed) :p

Finally, the newer B is backwards compatible with those TC's that used the A. There!

Nikon BF-3B cap | eBay

12. mnp13

mnp13

Jul 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    According to Nikon, the B is not backwards compatible with the TC 20E II.

If you actually have the TC 20E II in hand, and you can put a 3B on it, please let me know. But according to the two different people I have chatted with from Nikon (today and last week) the 3B is not backwards compatible, though the interwebs claim it is, the two random Nikon people say no.

13. It is with the 14 II and 17 :eek: I just sold my 20E II with the newer B cap
    (as well as the FL-4 rear) so KNOW for a fact it fits. Calling Nikon proves
    nothing, you spoke to a min. wage moron, no doubt. I have them in my
    freakin' hand so BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT, NY :ROFLMAO: Last I'll be helping...

14. YUP, my TC cover has a big white dot. Even a blind, lazy, rushed, hungover guy like me can see it.

My AF-1 TC 20E 2X has a BF-3 has the black cover it came with. It does not lock on the TC, so you don't need to press the release button (but it can also fall off).

15. mnp13

mnp13

Jul 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    So, you have them in your freakin' hand, which is what I asked.
    I'm not saying that the person from Nikon can't be wrong, though that's really annoying since it's their damn job to be right about their own products. But wasting another $13 on a lens cap that won't work when I get it in hand is also annoying, because one online camera shop already told me "this cap will work for you" and it doesn't go on the TC.

16. mnp13

mnp13

Jul 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Does your black cover say BF-3 on the inside or BF-3A?

17. BF-3.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DudleyG

DudleyG

Feb 6, 2006
    Lexington, Ky
    Michelle,

Just for your info, Nikon moved their 1st level help service "off-shore" at least 6 or 7 years ago to at that time, I think was Puerto Rico. Local people were hired at that country's minimal wage, given scripts that were prepared by folks that weren't high level tech folks in Nikon plus most of the first level help folks have never used or seen mid to high level Nikon equipment. They just try to walk thru a script that at best is not very good or accurate. Only when you "escalate" or insist on talking to a higher level tech service, then you might get back to Nikon in Melville, NY where most of those tech folks do know cameras. There has been talk about Nikon moving level one support back to the USA, but I don't think it has happened.

Not to defend Will or Nick (or even myself), we "old" folks have been using Nikon equipment for a long time. In my case, since 1981 when I got a Nikon F3HP (which I still have). So, there really is a Nikon BF-3 (with no A or B on it) that came out to support the tele-convertors that attached to Nikon manual focus lens and cameras. The BF-3 became BF-3A when Nikon introduced the Nikon AF-I (autofocus) and later AF-S lens and convertors. The BF-3B just came out a couple of years ago. So, I think the base BF-3 might work but not sure, however (like Will and Nick), I think the BF-3B will work for you.

Your choice, believe Nikon 1st level techs or us "old" people. I am also out of here on this conversation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mnp13

mnp13

Jul 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Perfect! I found one of those!

20. Good!!! ^^

Of course I didn't help things when, in post #7, I implied I had a 3B. Lazy, or as Dudley says, old!