1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Looking for cheap muslins, stand and some C&C Senior Pics

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by HockeyDad2324, Jul 29, 2009.

1. HockeyDad2324

HockeyDad2324

May 6, 2009
    Maryland
    If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize! I have been using my speedlights and CLS to take some senior pictures of my daughter. It is only my second attempt. As my second attempt I think I did ok(C&C appreciated). I used a black sheet tacked up to the wall in our basement. I was limited as the sheet only went to the floor and did not extend out where my daughter could stand on the sheet. It was hard to get full head to toe shots, as you can see in the pictures below the only usable head to toe, was where my daughter jumped(Although it turned out very cute, not always an option). So to my question, where can I find a cheap reliable stand and backdrops?
    Here are a few of my favorites.
    SPR_0673.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 388128
    View attachment 388129
    View attachment 388130
    View attachment 388131

Thanks folks,
    Sean

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  2. +1 for Amvona.

Your daughter looks a lot like Katherine Heigl; especially in photo #3.

3. HockeyDad2324

HockeyDad2324

May 6, 2009
    Maryland
  4. exitnine

exitnine

Jun 5, 2008
    Boston, MA
    How about Bogen light stand with the background pole, if you don't use it as a background stand, you will have to extra light stand right?

5. The Impact background stand is the best buy. This is the Photek stand solf for 2/3 the price. Also, the stands are tall and sturdt, the cross bar is modular and expandable and it is possible to put two backgrounds on the stand at the same time by using the Photek attachment.

For decent, but inexpensive muslins try Knowledge backgrounds on their sale prices and Belger. Watch what you buy as you tend to get the same stuff from most resellers, i.e. cheapest from China and the next cheapest from India. One problem is the dye/paint lots vary and what you see on your screen is not always what you get. If you catch L.L. Bean Polartec blankets on sale and you like their colors, you cannot beat these. Furthermore, these really do not wrinkle and these are truly washable without fading or shrinking.
    Four to six B&H or Home Depot A-Clamps and you are in business.

Regards,
    Tom

6. HockeyDad2324

HockeyDad2324

May 6, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks again folks,
    Sean

7. IsamuM

IsamuM Not-quite- Moderator

Jan 11, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hi Sean,

Nice pics of a very pretty daughter.

I don't think the size of the backgrounds in the above set will quite cut it at 5x10. Usable, of course, but ideally I think you want something bigger.

8. HockeyDad2324

HockeyDad2324

May 6, 2009
    Maryland
    Isamu,
    Thanks for the compliments, she looks like her mother :) , and thanks for pointing out that the link I posted was for 5x10 muslins,as I completely overlooked that:Curved:

9. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    yes owens originals is a great company for digital background....that link is realy not a great price.....I purchased a background stand/w cross bar and a 10 x 20' black backdrop for under a $100....they came from separate resellers on ebay........background stand needs to beable to extend uptp 12' and at least 12' across.....bacl grounds need to be a minimum of 10x20 feet so you can get some separation from the subject to the background........if you ahve at least 2 background lights you can color that black or dark grey background any color by using theatrical gels on the bg lights...so you do not need to have tons of bg's laying around........3 is usually enuff if want to do hi key.....if no hi-key then 2....blk and grey..............

BACKDROP OUTLet has some pretty amazing prices on sale items....and goood reg. prices also.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.