Looking for compact light stand

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Joe_Lorenzini, Sep 8, 2005.

1. I'm looking for a compact light stand that when folded up is 12-16" long and can extend to a height of 6' or higher.

I currently have everything I need to turn my SB-800's into softboxes in a very compact fashion except for the light stand. The smallest I've been able to find (that extends to 6' or higher) is 26" when folded and that doesn't do it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm looking into ways of convertyin my monopod into a makeshift light stand as well...

Thanks all!

_/oe

2. Joe,
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but can you tell me what you are using to convert the SB800 into a softbox. I'm also trying to go this route.

Thanks,
    mitch

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Joe if you find something and it's not too expensive let us know. Right now I have one of the Amnova stands and while it was a great bargain and is actually a pretty decent quality stand, compact is definitely not a word I would use to describe it. Fully collapsed it's about 45" tall and fairly bulky.

5. Hi Jeff,

I was misleading when I said softbox. That had been my first intention but I ended up going with an umbrella setup.

I ordered the Adorama Universal Swivel Holder with flash shoe ($15), the Westcott 43" collapsible umbrella ($20) and the Savage 8' lightstand ($24).

The holder and umbrella will fit in any of my camera backpacks or sidebags, the stand which on Adorama's web site is stated to have a closed height of 16.7" is wrong. It's over 24" long when closed which is too long for my needs.

Currently I'm looking at a "in-pieces" based solution which includes the Bogen backlight stand (12" foldable base) and an extention pole (or 2).

_/oe

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2005