Looking for lenses to use on a D5100 for Wedding/events

A friend has a D5100 and wants to start getting into weddings/events. What nikon or third party lenses should she be researching? Price is an issue. Assume she has the kit lenses and the 50 1.8

A fast standard zoom should be the best option, like Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 or Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8.

I agree - Nikkor 17-55mm F2.8. Find some way to afford it. Great zoom for DX. You have the 50mm 1.8 - Great for portraits. Pickup the 35mm F1.8 for low light and a little wider. Stay away from longer zooms with smaller apertures - use your feet to zoom in.

Best !

You need fast AF, so get the Nikon 17-55, and get the 35 and 85 also. Better add some light also, at least an SB-800 and SB-8A. The D5100 is good for events, and I've used it at weddings, but have backup gear also.

Is there a total budget in mind? Can your friend focus, or is it AF only? (Reception and impromptus stuff, AF is a must, but you could manual focus alter action)

For example, if we assume <$1k for all gear, I'd do a tammy 17-50 2.8 ($300), Nikon 35/1.8 or Sigma 30/1.4 ($200 or $300 respectively), SB-800/900 ($300-$400) plus some gels, light stands, bungee chords, remote triggers, etc for the remaining budget...

I agree - Nikkor 17-55mm F2.8. Find some way to afford it. Great zoom for DX. You have the 50mm 1.8 - Great for portraits. Pickup the 35mm F1.8 for low light and a little wider. Stay away from longer zooms with smaller apertures - use your feet to zoom in.

Best !

I agree with that for the most part however I really think a zoom is good to have in the bag. There will be times at any wedding that your not going to be able to get in that close while being un-obtrusive. I think a zoom is a necessity.

I agree with that for the most part however I really think a zoom is good to have in the bag. There will be times at any wedding that your not going to be able to get in that close while being un-obtrusive. I think a zoom is a necessity.
+1.....clients do appreciate a photographer being unobtrusive

A friend has a D5100 and wants to start getting into weddings/events. What nikon or third party lenses should she be researching? Price is an issue. Assume she has the kit lenses and the 50 1.8

if she needs to ask a basic question like this, she's not ready to shoot weddings.

When I started shooting weddings, the 17-55 f/2.8 was the first lens I purchased. It's extremely sharp and the perfect focal length to start out. 70-200 f/2.8 VR was the second lens. For the first five years I invested every cent into gear, computers and training.

Real Name
David
Please tell me this is as a second shooter, please. To be a lead you need at least 2 bodies and overlap from 24mm to at least around 100mm f4 or better so you are covered if something is not working right. Or at least like the old 18-70 / new 24-85 that are f3.5-4.5 which are decent with a good useful range. And 2-3 flashes.

I once worked with a guy that did not, I was second shooting. He spent 2-3 hours of an 8 hour day trying to figure out what was wrong with the only flash / body he brought. Then ended the night shooting completely manual flash to get anything. If something I have is not working it just goes back in the bag and I grab a backup. I might look at it if a get a break, but otherwise it waits till later.

I feel they need more than what is explained. I am not knocking anyone here, I have witnessed myself that gear is essential. I shoot weddings as a second shooter last year with D300, SB-600, Tamron 17-50 2.8 and Sigma 70-200 2.8. That gear was not up to par with the primary shooters D700. Weddings you need a high ISO monster that can handle the low light situations. Believe you me, there are many even in daytime weddings.

Overall, I used my Sigma 70-200 2.8 the most of the weddings I did second shoot for. You can find one of those used at a decent price.

Real Name
Rodney
Medium range zoom (18-70 or pricier 17-55) if she can't afford anything else. If she can, then a 70-200. Fixed lenses are nice, but not necessary. And I agree, she needs backups of everything.

I bring a minimum of two bodies, two flashes and 5 lenses to a wedding.

Real Name
David
Matt brings up a good point if she is second shooting with a small DX look for Gen I or II of the Sigma 50-150 f2.8. They run 400-500 on eBay and might be just the ticket. They are only the size of the Nikon 70-300 and 180 AF-D and are better than most give them credit for being. That is the range a second is more often shooting.

Add a Tamron or Sigma in the 17-50/70 range (2.8 or 2.8-4.5) with a good flash and she should be set to assist / second.

50-150 samples:
http://www.blueberryphoto.com/Other/50-150/14413194_6hGB3R#!i=1068678841&k=wwfsX2r

I did a couple of weddings last year and it made me really appreciate the pro's that do this for a living.

For the first one, my friend had the brilliant idea of making me the primary shooter so he can concentrate on video. :eek:
I told him he was a jack@ss for putting me in that position. I knew nothing!
I had no clue of the shooting conditions at the church, venue and or the prep sessions. Not a lick.
I used the 17-55 and 70-200 with my one and only body for the entire day.
It was extremely educational, but it wasn't fun.

The second wedding, I was a 2nd shooter.
I joined my friend at the grooms house for his prep shoot.
Guess what, he too wanted to concentrate on video and I ended up shooting primary.
Not wanting to disappoint (myself) I tried my best and came out with some decent pics.

At the ceremony, I mounted my 70-200 and was prepared to shoot as a 2nd.
Turns out I was shooting primary for the first 10 minutes of the ceremony because the other group (which included the primary photog) was late.
During the reception, I only had the 70-200 mounted, taking detail shots and close-up portraits.
I had my flash mounted and was bouncing it off the only white wall I could find because there was no ceiling.
I guess the highlight of the night was when the primary asked me what settings I was shooting at. :Curved:

So yeah, unless your friend is truly prepared and willing to dish out the dough to buy decent gear, it's not an easy thing to just jump right into.
I would suggest she shoots seconds a few times first to get a feel of the conditions.
It's a whole new monster that would eat you alive without a moments notice.

D

Deleted member 4116

I would suggest she shoots seconds a few times first to get a feel of the conditions.
It's a whole new monster that would eat you alive without a moments notice.
I agree with this. People think it's simple to just take photos during a wedding but it's so much more. I just 2nd shot last weekend and that's about as far as i'd want to take any kind of wedding photography. Being the primary is tough work and I have 100% respect for those who do it professionally.

All of the suggestions given are valid but the one suggestion that really is of any value is the one below.
if she needs to ask a basic question like this, she's not ready to shoot weddings.

I realize we need to start somewhere but just deciding to shoot weddings & events because she owns a digital camera is just wrong. It takes a lot more than a body, lens & a flash to be a wedding photographer. There should be an apprenticeship program for wedding photographers...be required to be a second shooter for a certain # of weddings/events. That's a topic for another thread.

It takes a lot more than a body, lens & a flash to be a wedding photographer. There should be an apprenticeship program for wedding photographers...be required to be a second shooter for a certain # of weddings/events.

+1 A carbon fiber hammer doesn't make me a carpenter. In a similar vein, building a bird house doesn't qualify me to build a residential house. There's a huge leap from shooting pictures at a party to being paid to capture someone's special moment/life event.

Latest threads

Top Bottom