looking for multi tool

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gbenic, Jul 31, 2007.

1. I have a couple of Leatherman tools. One is being sent in for repair again. I thought about buying a beefier multi-tool. Leatherman is not all uSA made anymore. They are assembled here, but use parts from Austria, Mexico, and/or (I forget where else). Anyway, does anyone know of a good multi-tool that is made is the uSA or Germany, that has at least a #1 and #2 phillips drive, needle nose pliers, knife, flat screwdriver, and a file? Or even an "imported" one that is a good one. I use it everyday from PC repairs to opening packages to fixing my wife's purse. It definitely gets used hard. I have sent in my Leathermans for a total of 3 or 4 repairs in the last 5 years or so. Some of the brands I have considered are Leatherman, SOG, Gerber, and one that Lowe's sells that says made in uSA (the brand escapes me). I haven't personally played with any of them, so I don't know how they feel or what tools are included.

Thanks in advance.

2. I found my first Leatherman Supertool great. I used it lots but ended up loosing it somehow. I have bought two Leatherman's since and have been utterly dissapointed. Both have broken the nose off the pliers and one of them (can't remember what it's called) the tools don't lock, only the knives lock. I won't waste my money on Leatherman anylonger! I would look at Gerber if I was in the market although anything from Germany (I don't know if Gerber is or isn't) would be made very well. I have a cooking knife and steak knives from Wusthof (German product) and I won't cut with anything else in my kitchen (and I'm not a cook by any stretch).

3. AISBLE

AISBLE

Nov 29, 2006
    RI
    Mine is made by Gerber, got it almost 10 years ago as a 10 year service award from the company I work for.

I've used it plenty in that time and have never had a problem with it.

4. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    Gerber here and Made in Oregon

5. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    The Gerber tool is excellent! Bass Pro Shops carry them.

I also have a Leatherman "squirt" that I carry everywhere and it has yet to fail me! (and I have done some pretty heavy tasks with the little thing)

6. I'll second the Gerber :smile:

7. I always wind up losing a leatherman more than using it. After four of them, I decided it was cheaper for me to lose traditional tools instead. :)

8. Best multi-tool i ever had was a Schrade ST1 tufftool, no sharp edges, the best pliers of any multi tool ever and well worth the money i paid for it. I've been trying to find one for sale over this side of the pond for ages but unfortunately they seem to have gone out of business, they come up on ebay every once in a while and hey even your local hardware store might still have them kicking around, well worth the money if you can get hold of them.

PS. I'll be looking out for one when i come over in September :wink:

9. I have a Leatherman Supertool, Leatherman Wave, Leatherman Juice SC2 (for camera bag), some sort of large Victorinox multitool, and one of SOG's first multitools. I find the metal, finish, gearing and movement of the SOG to be by far the best. If I could have just one, it would be the SOG. But I don't know anything about SOG's current models.

10. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    SOG Multitool is great!

Its a bit big for all day carry as I already have Batman's belt on. I carry a Leatherman Juice daily but the Sog is nearby.

Regards,

11. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I still like my Leatherman Wave. Works great for me.

12. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    What does SOG stand for or who are they so I can check out their line?

I use a Leatherman Wave and it's a nice tool.

I used to have a Craftsman one which was real nice, but they don't make them anymore.

13. Thanks for the opinions. I will start some shopping this weekend.

14. I like the Gerber. Seem to be indestructable.

15. I think I narrowed it down to the Gerber or the SOG. Whichever ones are on display locally are the ones I have to choose from. I really don't want to order online. It's just too personal of a tool. That may have sounded silly. Oh well.

16. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
  17. I still have my SOG paratool from about 15 years ago, loved it as it was the only one that had a Robertson screwdriver. It lasted me through my time in the Armed Forces, and camping very well, now it is part of my camera kit when I got hiking. It seems the new model of the Paratool doesn't have the Robertson, not a big deal unless you live in Canada.

18. Stephen, the Paratool is on my short list. I hope there is one locally for me to check out.