1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Looking for solid SD/CF card resurrection software

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Rich Gibson, Aug 13, 2009.

1. In England I shot some images with my Canon P&S and now I can't find any of the images. I broke out an old version of Data Rescue II and to my chagrin I can't find a single lost image anywhere on any drive. Very frustrating.

I am suspicious of the Data Rescue software because when I ran it on the Canon SD card the only images it 'rescued' were the ones which weren't deleted yet. It seems impossible that there isn't a single image surviving from that batch. I don't think it is doing what its supposed to do.

Does anyone know of a proven software package which can scour a drive to find lost images? I actually paid good money for a Sandisk recovery utility which is horrid. The interface is back from the 1990's. It's actually a German package loaded with all sorts of security restrictions. I can't use it on any other computer than the one I downloaded in onto. Funny about some software companies software; you'd think their stuff was so good that people would WANT to steal it. The Sandisk software doesn't even use normal drive terminology, but some UNIX sounding nomenclature. Nothing about UNIX, but if you were trying to sell resurrection software to point & shoot camera owners, wouldn't you make the interface idiot proof?

Anyway, if anyone knows of a proven package (that doesn't cost $100) please let me know.

Thanks

2. yosemite

yosemite

Jun 6, 2009
    East Bay, CA
  3. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    I have an extra copy of Sandisk's RescuePro. It came with SD's that I had bought last year. When I shot a wedding last August, I came home and the computer said there were no images. So I loaded it, and it worked and saved everything that was on the disk. This was good as there were over 300 images of the wedding!

If you want the disk, send me a PM with your address and I'll pop it in the mail on Monday.

Carole

4. AllThumz

AllThumz

Feb 24, 2009
    Albany, Oregon
    Now, if you buy a Sandisk card, it comes with a "coupon" to download the program, but you have to plug in a key to get it.

I was always leery of the mini cd's, since I fried a CD burner many years ago trying to read one :frown: That may have changed with the newer technology, though.

Regards,
    John

5. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
  6. Thanks for the generous offers! I have purchased a product R-Studio for the Mac recommended by Paul AKA Monty Dog. It's a bit daunting to use but very thorough. There isn't a trace of a single image on the SD card from the Canon. I have the SanDisk software and it gives me an error when I try to look on hard drives.

I'm assuming that I loaded the images onto my MacBook Pro at the end of the day as I do with my CF cards from the DSLRs. My next move is to examine the 120gb hd which was on in the MBP when I went on my trip. I've since replaced it with a 500gb drive.

7. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    I had to hook up my external DVD burner to use the mini CD. If anyone wants to download the program, I do have a couple of extra mini CDs. I can send the code from them.

Carole

8. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    If that doesn't work, Rich, download RescuePro and I can email you the code to unlock it. Before I got my D300, I was using my D50 and bought a bunch of SD cards. Each of them came with a mini CD of the software.

Carole

9. yosemite

yosemite

Jun 6, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Per Uncle Frank, the demo version of RescuePro is crippled - it does not allow you to enter the key. He was able to recover 2/3 of his raw files using CardRecovery software - he also tried RescuePro and it couldn't recover the remaining files either.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=234556

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. yosemite

yosemite

Jun 6, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    RescuePro does not work on hard drives:

http://www.lc-tech.com/software/rprodetail.html

"Digital Media supported:
    SD™/SDHC™, CompactFlash, SmartMedia, MMC, Memory Stick™, XD Cards, Microdrive, PCMCIA, Video CD, and DVD. RescuePRO® is not designed to recover data from hard drives - please look at our FILERECOVERY® Professional software.
    "

11. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    RescuePro is only for getting files off of cards.

Carole

12. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    I have had Image Rescue recover files that had been reformatted several times and written over several times.....that stuff is good.....and asks for the file types you are looking for........

I also use Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery to recover photos off dieing / corrupt hdds and it recovered files I had removed and deleted, reformatted and rewritten over also.........they have separate data recover software.......

13. yosemite

yosemite

Jun 6, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    How did you make out - did you ever find the files?

14. I had to put that away for a while. I'm remodeling my study and it involved a lot of finish carpentry. This weekend should be a good time to just let it percolate and grind through the hard drives.

15. Update: R-Studio has crashed once again. Their tech support responded to the error report asking for the circumstances. I replied and tried again yesterday. After taking several hours to scan my MBP drive I again attempted to direct the recovered images to an empty drive; results spinning beach ball of death and another crash. I sent in the error log and they wanted screen prints of my selections. I deleted the software and got a refund.

Maybe I should have the purchased Data Rescue update instead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.