Looking for some C&C Senior Pics of my daughter

I have only attempted portraits one other time. My daughter wanted me to take some Senior portraits for her....So off to the basement we went, threw up a black sheet we purchased at Walmart, and here they are.

I am looking for any suggestions anyone has to offer.

SPR_0673.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 388730
View attachment 388731
View attachment 388732
View attachment 388733

Thanks folks,
Sean

Edited to add:
Nikon D300 Nikon 35-70 2.8, two SB-800's, two umbrellas and Nikon CLS

#1 - The dark pants against the black background look a little strange. I'd crop in a little tighter.

#2 - Fun pose, but I probably would've had her go barefoot so that her feet were visible against the black background.

#3 & #4 - I like both the poses, (especially #4) but the PP needs a little work. Try less diffusion and more contrast. What software are you using?

#5 - I like the pose, but her eyes seem out of focus.

Thanks Bob,
I usually shoot sports. With that being said I don't feel that I need to process my sports images very much, a little tweak here and there. This is a whole new ball game, and my limited experience and pp abilities show! I use LR2, and used some presets that I had made to process these images. I thank you for the information and taking the time to comment.
Sean

In #3, her skin is grey. Typically, in B&W conversions, caucasian skin is close to white (with the soft lighting that you used). You need to bring up lights/highlights sliders (in Tone Curve) and possibly pull back the Darks a bit to get more contrast.

Thanks Boston Rott,
Noted. I am getting ready to hit the hay, but I am going to rework some of these images tomorrow.
Thanks again for the info folks,
Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
I like numbers 3 and 4.......definitely need to bring up the contrast on the b/w image and maybe brighten image 4 a tad. My eyes keep leading me back to image number 4.....well done!

2 thru 5 are all fine, other then the B-W which has been mentioned. On 1 the arms placement sticking out like wings is not flattering. But 1 may make a great cropped photo, tight crop of her face only. On 5 clone out the bright spot on her nose.
You have a very pretty daughter, very photogenic-

I just wanted to mention here a public thank you to Bob "rbellphoto" who PM and E-mailed me with some great suggestions and future PP help. The people here at the cafe are a great group!
Thank you very much!
Sean

First of all you should be excited that your daughter wants YOU to take her picture...my son runs in the opposite direction when I have a camera.

The first thing I see that you need is some sort of overhead light for a hair light.
What her brow (frown)...not sure what it is really called...it's in the first image (forehead). In number 5 watch that the eyes don't go to far into her head.

I think these are good.

I just wanted to mention here a public thank you to Bob "rbellphoto" who PM and E-mailed me with some great suggestions and future PP help. The people here at the cafe are a great group!
Thank you very much!
Sean

Aw shucks. It weren't nothing. :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom