1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Looking for some crop help - portrait style image

Discussion in 'People' started by JMontes, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Looking for some help from the crop masters here or those of you who just get it right before it comes out of the camera :wink:

Cropping an image has never been my strong point. I know about the "rule of thirds" (which this image clearly violates), but I know there are many other crops that can work. Can you tell me how you would crop this image and why? I'd like to keep it in the 4x6 or 5x7 area. Landscape or portrait? Thanks

[​IMG]

2. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    1- slight counterclockwise rotation to level horizontal aspects of the fence
    2- simple crop to remove busy foliage/fence in background so that the fencing "flows to the right"

[​IMG]

BTW...wonderful image !

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2008
  3. Having the image in the center like you have done makes it look static. A tighter crop would be better and leave some room for the boy to look into the picture. I would also de-emphasize the fence by darkening it a little and add a little blur to it. This will then shift the emphasis to the boy.

Here is the tweaked version:

original.

And your original for comparison:

[​IMG]

It is a delighful image and you have a handsome boy there.

4. John, since your subject is looking to the left, you need to use the rule of thirds and apply more space in that direction.

I also think replacing the background would help too.
    I brightened this young man's face slightly with a curves adjustment and came up with this.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

NIKON D2X    ---    70mm    f/6.3    1/125s    ISO 100

5. Cropping for the rule of thirds worked pretty well on your picture.

6. RFC/Gordon/Virgina/Frank - Thanks for taking the time to help me out, much appreciated! This is good, given what you did and what my thoughts were with cropping this image, it at least lets me know I was playing ball on the same field with the rest of you all :biggrin:

Thanks for the comments too! :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.