looking for suggestions for a neck strap

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by bill-e, Aug 4, 2008.

1. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hi Folks,

I think the included Nikon strap is uncomfortable so I'm looking for something else to use with my D40.

Any suggestions?

I heard the Lowepro strap is comfortable but the clips are too big and get in the way. Any comments on this?

2. I use only Domke straps, bags, and vests.

3. Having read/participated in earlier threads on this subject, I think you'll find that it comes down to a subjective choice between one of the following, with the respondents being more or less evenly divided between:

1. Op/Tech
    2. Domke Gripper
    3. UpStrap

I have both the Op/Tech and Domke, like them both, but prefer the Domke. I've never used the Upstrap.

On the other hand, for something new and different, there is the BlackRapid, which I also have and prefer most of all when I'm using two bodies (typically one on a monopod and one on the strap). The BlackRapid strap is worn across your chest, with the camera at your hip, where you can easily grab it. The only down side to the BlackRapid is that if you using their fastenR attachment on a pro body or a camera with an optional battery grip, the fastenR gets in the way when shooting in portrait mode. I normally get around this by attaching the fasterR to my lens collar rather than the camera's tripod mount. But this won't be an issue for your D40 if you don't have a battery grip.

Hope this helps.

4. aos111

aos111

Mar 9, 2008
    little rock ar
    I like the OpTech Pro Strap on my D80 and D300.

Andy

5. UpStrap. Ever since I found that strap my strap lust is gone. Use it with the optional bandolier attachment and handles all the needs I have right now.

6. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Excuse the noob question but is the camera safer from damage on your chest or at your side? I kinda like the RS1 idea from a weight distribution perspective it seems like in the long run it would be more comfortable, I would use the strap in a non-professional environment but it might include walking trails etc.

I'm not concerned about price but I hate buying the wrong thing :)

You can see my current lens assortment in my signature line, some of which are somewhat heavy as compared to the kit lens.

And I am trying to wade through the prior posts. Thanx

7. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Looking at the UpStrap it appears to be rubber which I can see would grab your shoulder great but how is it around your neck?

Do most people use their straps around their neck or over their shoulder?

8. Have always used the OpTech pro strap over my neck with my D200. The camera rests easily on my left hip and is easily swung into shooting position and return to hip without lifting off the neck.

9. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    This is my favorite strap, too. Only difference, I buy the loop ends with the same quick connectors sold separately. They are not available with the Classic and I use the loop ends instead of the straps. Loops are more flexible and take up less room in the bag.

10. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Charlie,

I've been wearing mine around my neck. If I understand you correctly, you wear yours over your neck/shoulder kinda like the RS-1. That's something I haven't tried though I don't think the Nikon strap is long enough to do that.

11. The Nikon strap is bad for several reasons:
    1. It's too short to be versatile. I wear the OpTech over the shoulder for walking around, and then switch it to around the neck for taking pictures.
    2. The Nikon strap doesn't have any "give". The OpTech is made from neoprene, which cushions the jolts as you walk.
    3. Wearing a Nikon strap advertises that you're carrying expensive gear. It screams, "STEAL ME".

12. ajbooker

ajbooker

Mar 17, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    I have one of the Optech straps on my D200. No idea what model it is as it came with the camera when I bought it off of someone here on the Cafe. I do like it, more comfortable than the Nikon one on my D40x. Never use the quick release though, as it stays on 24/7. If I do more tripod shooting they may come in handy to eliminate the mess of strap hanging down.

13. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I like the swivel clips of the Domke Gripper. How does it attach to the camera? I like the loop connection on the camera end of the OP/Tech which allows the ends to fall out of the way when on a tripod.

14. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Well - I love my OpTech straps. The "give" really eases the weight of heavy lenses.

However, I also have an old Tamrac (I think) set up that is wonderful! It is neoprene so you get the "give" factor. It is in a "Y" shape, with the stem of the "Y" going down your back. Then each strap goes over a shoulder and attaches to the camera with quick release fasteners.

It has a belt-like attachment that goes around my waist and through the bottom of the "Y". The front of the belt has an oval neoprene thingy (sorry about that!) with a hole in the middle. You can place this around the lens to secure the camera to your chest. The camera then hangs off your shoulders/back against your chest.

Now your hands are free, there is no weight straining your neck, and it is very easy to remove the neoprene and raise the camera to shoot.

Great for hiking and vacationing, especially with heavy gear.

OK - I just searched the internet and can't find it! Hopefully something like it is available.

15. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
  16. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I can't answer about safer, but I find neither neck nor either one shoulder to be a comfortable place for using any strap. So I use a halter, and it hangs off my back and both shoulders.

17. Crumpler has a new strap.....Industry Disgrace...$25.
    I used it daily for two weeks on my D3 and found it very comfortable.

18. I am with UF and GG11: Optech Classic with Proloop. Not too outrageously priced, and very comfy, the disconnecting piece is handy when working on a tripod

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/170171-REG/Op_Tech_USA_1001082_Super_Classic_Camera_Strap.html

19. I've found the Optech strap to be much more comfortable than the original Nikon. It greatly decreases neck and shoulder fatigue when carrying the camera for an extended period. I liked the Optech camera strap so much that I upgraded my Lowepro Nova 3 bag strap to an Optech strap with much the same positive results.