looking for your favorite Sepia treament!!

Hi friends, I can't find a Sepia treament that I like. I've tried actions and I'm still not getting the look that I want.

What is you favorite??

Thanks Debbie!!

I use a sepia to off white gradient. Use the color dropper to pick the shade from the color swatches. You can pick an orange/brown or a pure brown. The colors you pick will have associated numbers which you best retain.

If you want the darkest tones to remain black and just tone the near black to near whites, use "blend if" options by double clicking free space on layer.

Pick a black to white gradient from the gradient picker.

All this gives you 100% control over color and where it is applied. Someone`s formula has far less chance to satisfy. Downside is you will need to learn these functions.

In a real darkoom, when doing sepia, you bleach the print first, then tone. When bleaching, if you bleach fully, all tones go sepia. If you bleach less, the very darks remain and they do not go sepia but remain black.

Do the sepia on a separate layer as you might have to use a soft light blending mode.

You can do the same thing with any color tones you wish by following the
steps outlined.

Pick colors for foreground/background , then add gradient, blend if step and try different blend modes on the layer.

Nice chocolate browns look very nice and do some blues on sea and snow scapes.

There is no just plug and play to get this, but you can save as an action.

What methods have you tried and how do you want the print to look?

If you are trying to mimic the look of the sepia of yesteryear you need to account for the type of paper the image printed on. Basically two type of papers produced Bromide paper which produced a neutral to blue black image or Chlorobromide which tended to produce a warmer image. AFAIK many portrait photographers had a preference for the warmer tones of Chlorobromide

Each paper would have a different look after toning Chlorobromide seeming more warm/yellow? this paper would most likely be used prior to hand or airbrush colouring of a print.

CS5 has an Action in the default folder that IMO does a pretty good job of mimicking the old Bromide papers. It adds a Hue/Saturation layer above the original B&W. By adjusting the Saturation slider you can reduce/increase the effect as required. Small adjustment of the Hue slider will also give different effects

What methods have you tried and how do you want the print to look?

If you are trying to mimic the look of the sepia of yesteryear you need to account for the type of paper the image printed on. Basically two type of papers produced Bromide paper which produced a neutral to blue black image or Chlorobromide which tended to produce a warmer image. AFAIK many portrait photographers had a preference for the warmer tones of Chlorobromide

Each paper would have a different look after toning Chlorobromide seeming more warm/yellow? this paper would most likely be used prior to hand or airbrush colouring of a print.

CS5 has an Action in the default folder that IMO does a pretty good job of mimicking the old Bromide papers. It adds a Hue/Saturation layer above the original B&W. By adjusting the Saturation slider you can reduce/increase the effect as required. Small adjustment of the Hue slider will also give different effects

Tony hi, I have CS3 and I used a action on this photo and I guess I don't have it any longer but I really like this look for Sepia. ;)

order24x5DSC_5944.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Debbie,
That is very nice! I hope you can figure out how it was done and share with us.
In the meantime, it helps if you have real sepia photos to use as a guide. I have a few from the Dark Ages. I still can't get my digital files to look like real sepia.
Still searching for the Real Sepia in Texas.

Tony hi, I have CS3 and I used a action on this photo and I guess I don't have it any longer but I really like this look for Sepia. ;)
Hi Debbie,
The actions should be I believe be part of the Default actions in PS CS3 it is called Sepia Toning Layer.

You can achieve the effect quite easily as follow:

1. Add a Hue & Saturation layer above background
  2. Click Colorize box
  3. Set the following (This is a starting point for further 'play')
    • Hue = 30
    • Saturation = 25
    • Lightness =0
Try variations on these to get a look that you like

Debbie,
That is very nice! I hope you can figure out how it was done and share with us.
In the meantime, it helps if you have real sepia photos to use as a guide. I have a few from the Dark Ages. I still can't get my digital files to look like real sepia.
Still searching for the Real Sepia in Texas.

I never did but Tony has a great one!!! :)

Hi Debbie,
The actions should be I believe be part of the Default actions in PS CS3 it is called Sepia Toning Layer.

You can achieve the effect quite easily as follow:

1. Add a Hue & Saturation layer above background
  2. Click Colorize box
  3. Set the following (This is a starting point for further 'play')
    • Hue = 30
    • Saturation = 25
    • Lightness =0
Try variations on these to get a look that you like

Thanks so much Tony, I tweaked it a little but it looks great!!! :smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom