1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Looking for your opinion .....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by gillesk, Jul 21, 2008.

1. gillesk

gillesk

Dec 31, 2007
    Alberta -Canada
    Hello,
    I setup at my favorite spot to photograph Pelicans the other day, and all of a sudden the sun disappeared behind thick clouds and I was left with a very neutral scene. The resulting photos ended up almost colour less except for the bright yellow-orange on the bird. This subject was photographed in turbulant water. I very seldom use a +ev but I think that it did work in this case.
    What do you think?

original.

Thank you for taking the time to critique.
    Best regards.

2. I think it's first rate Gilles. If you hadn't brought to my attention I would have thought it just another super shot from you. Very nice job on bringing out the details in such light, overall super job.

3. I like it too: the movement of the water adds to the scene. Actually I'd like to see a little more water in a slightly looser crop.

Alan

4. gillesk

gillesk

Dec 31, 2007
    Alberta -Canada
    Thank you Louis,
    Just trying to be more creative.

Hello Alan and thank you.
    Just a slight vertical crop. Shot at 500mm (300 + 1.7x tc)

-----------------------

Here is a shot of a different bird; this one full sensor (no crop):

original.

Best regards to both of You.

5. I agree with Alan, looser cropping.

Great captures!

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    nice soft pastels, I think a touch more contrast on the first shot maybe? but as you know that will hurt the whites some too if you are not careful.

I also looked at the first one in levels and there is some room for black and white points to be adjusted a tiny amount so that is another consideration to bring out some details.

When shooting white birds sometimes the best light is that neutral light like you had.

Well done,

ps, also the second shot is a great composition within the frame,

Wade

7. nice shots Gilles.. If anything, to me they look a little dark., and the big C is really not needed... there are billions of images on the net these days, any one of the could be copied and printed. I don't know your workflow, but if you post them at 72 dpi, it will not hurt the quality for online viewing, and reduce the chance of a giveaway.

maybe put the C beside your signature., on the left would be more appropriate.

that said, very nice shots.

8. I like it Gilles, the Pastels here work very good

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.