Looking for Z6 battery recommendations

My Z6 came with two EN-EL15B batteries. One or both of them seem to be causing an error on the camera that reads something like “shutter release disabled, please recharge battery” (even when the battery is fully charged).

So, I’d like to replace both batteries with two EN-EL15C’s. I have the option to get genuine Nikon units or saving some cash and going with some other manufacturer - like Watson or BM.

Would anyone have an opinion about whether I should go with genuine Nikon batteries, or is there another brand that’s reliable?

FWIW, I have a BM and a Kastar for backup and they work fine in my Z5.

I have had the same problem as described by the OP. Actually, I have had 2 problems.

1. 3rd party 15c that worked well in my D750, essentially disabled after I tried to use it in Z6ii.

2. Nikon's own battery disabled after charging it in a 3rd party charger.

Not happy.....

Real Name
Leif
I have had the same problem as described by the OP. Actually, I have had 2 problems.

1. 3rd party 15c that worked well in my D750, essentially disabled after I tried to use it in Z6ii.

2. Nikon's own battery disabled after charging it in a 3rd party charger.

Not happy.....
The 3rd party charger might have applied too high a current, or tried to take the voltage too high causing the battery protection to cut in. This is a protective circuit that prevents the battery being overcharged, which would lead to venting with flames.

The battery protection can also cut in if the battery is over discharged. Without the protection the battery would again vent with flames. Could that have happened in your first problem ie Z6 II discharging the battery below its threshold?

Lithium ion batteries are potentially extremely dangerous, one good reason to avoid all but high quality batteries and chargers. I know of several people whose houses nearly burnt down thanks to cheap camera batteries bought from Hong Kong.

The 3rd party charger might have applied too high a current, or tried to take the voltage too high causing the battery protection to cut in. This is a protective circuit that prevents the battery being overcharged, which would lead to venting with flames.

The battery protection can also cut in if the battery is over discharged. Without the protection the battery would again vent with flames. Could that have happened in your first problem ie Z6 II discharging the battery below its threshold?

Lithium ion batteries are potentially extremely dangerous, one good reason to avoid all but high quality batteries and chargers. I know of several people whose houses nearly burnt down thanks to cheap camera batteries bought from Hong Kong.
Over the years and my 6 Nikon bodies I have only used Nikon Batteries and their Chargers that came with the Cameras. I can say I never have incurred a failed OEM Battery and as a precaution I now charge batteries only when I’m at home and in a well ventilated area. Over cautious.... you bet....

Real Name
Andy
While I have had batteries eventually fail to hold a charge (which is to be expected after longterm usage over many cycles), the only battery I have ever found to be defective right out of the box was a genuine Nikon EN-EL15B that I purchased at full retail price. Of course I received a free replacement, but only after missing shots with a fully charged battery on its first outing. Ever since that experience, I stopped using new batteries in situations where a missed shot is not easily remedied.

Also as a result of that experience, I now buy batteries that are priced right without regard to the brand, and make sure that they have been seasoned in low stakes sessions before counting on them in a more demanding situation.

Real Name
Leif
On the same subject, I’ve seen some Nikon SN-EL15B batteries advertised by UK shops for £40 compared to the normal £60. I was tempted, but on reflection I’m sure they are fakes. I checked the reviews for one shop, and sure enough quite a few people claim that they received counterfeit items. I’m surprised they haven’t been prosecuted by Trading Standards.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom