Looking to photograph Mallards and other species of Duck

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by PGB, Jan 25, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    The Wheeler Nation Wildlife Refuge in Decatur is an excellent place. There are several locations right on Highway 67 that are easily accessible by vehicle and over the past 2-3 weeks have had hundreds of ducks.

If you go into the vistor center the Ranger at the desk can tell you exactly where the best places are for that day. They are all extremely helpful and nice to birders and photographers.

The obersvation center leaves a lot to be desired but is neat. I was unable to get any good shots from it because it is enclosed in glass and the glass was very dirty and posed a glare problem for my setup.

On the opposite side of the highway, (North side) there is a fishing pier. In the corn field there is a little area where the backwater comes up into the field. There are usually 2-3 white egrets located there.

These birds here are not as tame as the ones at UAH but are still very fun to try to catch.

Here is a couple that I got on my last outing there.

12294326-M.jpg

12294324-M.jpg

More can be found at http://pbramlett.smugmug.com/gallery/309153/1/12294324

Cheers,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.