1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Looks like CNN is going to post some of my shots.

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by snownow, Oct 23, 2007.

1. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    My wife prompted me to send a shot to CNN (of the local fire), an I-report post. Well a hour later I get a call from a producer at CNN, seems they want to post some shots on CNN.com. Way cool, from my point of view.

The shot i sent (more on my other post)

211799102-Os.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Congrats Robert! That's certainly a hot shot!

3. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Very dramatic shot Robert! And congratulations on being aired by CNN!

4. Great shot (too bad about the circumstances) and congrats on being 'aired'!

5. WOW Robert, stunning photo! Congrats on having your photos chosen by CNN. Must have been quite a feeling to get that call.

My heart goes out to those people out there though. So many people losing everything.

John

6. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto
    A perfect "Year in Review" shot for Time magazine...

7. Beautiful shot Robert although terrible circumstances. Congratulations on capturing it so vividly.

8. WOW! But you know, when I saw the bed and breakfast being offered for free to the firemen and the rescuees, I got a big lump in my throat! You caught our heros doing what they do best! Congrats!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great..
    Beautiful image.

I got interviewed by the news today at the shuttle launch..
    Had alot of fun with the news guys.
    I was shooting them and they were shooting me.
    I don't know it it hit the news or not.
    Great shuttle launch though

10. iudoc97

iudoc97

Nov 13, 2006
    Indiana
    Congratulations and nice shot.
    Scott

11. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Definitely a newsworthy shot.

Congratulations.

Regards,

12. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    :biggrin:Ok this just got better, So i get home CNN international calls the house, and asks if they can not only run the photos, but if I'm up for a phone interview as well? Hmmm Yes. So at 11pm, tonight i get a call from CNN in London, they tell me how its going to work, they run through about 6 stories while I listen in on the phone and then go to a few of my shots and a short interview.They asked how the fire has progressed, how the fire fighters staged to save our part of town, moral, weather, If we are low on supplies (?)and a few others questions. All live, and for some CNN morning show:biggrin: So all this because my wife prompted me to send in a shot to CNN i-report.. So a very bad day had a good turn in the end, Now I just hope they can knock this fire down before it destroys any more houses in the canyons behind our house....

13. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Hmm seems a post was taken down or deleted? There was some questions as to compensation and the age old question of giving shots away. I did not take any of your comments as negative or "raining on my parade", no need for them to be taken down. When I took my wife's "hey you should submit these" to heart and posted them the way I did "i-report", I knew that If used I would not be compensated monitarily. Yes I allowed CNN to use "licence" the shots I submitted. I thought about it for a few minutes, and clicked ok to the agreement. It was a rough day, and would be a Very bright point if they were used on CNN.com. I had no idea they would go even further to CNN International, and run behind a story about Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.

Further more, when I drop off the 16x20 prints I'm having printed and framed to the fire station next week. It will definilty have more of a kick to it when I tell them oh by they way your face (or back side in this case) has now been seen world wide. Paid or Free the experience of it was worth it in this case. Next time I'll go for the big bucks. :) 

If I remember right, every time local firefighters make the news they owe the house Ice cream, I'll take some pay in vanilla.

14. Nicely exposed shot! Congratulations!

15. I agree... this is the type of shot that I expect to see over the next couple of years in one of those PowerPoint presentations that gets e-mailed to the entire world! Very powerful image. Nice capture of a tragic event.

16. Robert,

Well do, but don't just take the vanilla, hold for for a topping!.

I trust that you're doing alright.

17. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Thanks guys! Seems its on our local CNN this morning as well. As far as the fire, its moved past our neighborhood and is just tearing up the canyons :( 

Untitled-2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2007
  18. church

church

Sep 17, 2007
    west virginia
    very nice image and i hope all is going well for your situation there. good luck

19. Kim

Kim

Jun 16, 2005
    Tennessee
    How awesome!! I'm so happy for you! (although I'm sorry about the fires)

20. schmobie

schmobie Guest

Travelling in Europe, I'm currently in Dusseldorf, Germany, and last night watching CNN Europe, I saw your photograph... with many other showing, yours caught my attention!

Outstanding!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.