Looks like I've got some competition

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by nipprdog, Jul 15, 2008.

1. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    I stopped by the local shop to look at straps. Steve says, "We sold a camera because of what you do." of course, I said "where's my check?" :biggrin: Then he told me the story. A lady came in the store a few weeks ago, and said "I think I can do what Jim does, besides he's expensive ". :rolleyes:  :mad:  :rolleyes:  :mad:  I sold 1000 photos all of last year. I raised my prices a little for this season, and I've already sold 1200 photos. She must be right, huh? :rolleyes: 

Steve said that he politely disaggreed with her, and explained to her the type of equipment that I shoot with. She bought a D40(her first SLR:wink:)  with a 55-200 zoom lens. I'm really skeeeeerrrred. :wink:

Sorry for the rant, but I get a little testy when some one says my prices are too high.

2. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I'm sure she'd be no threat yet. What equipment did you start with? :wink:

3. Any shmo can buy a camera point it at something and get a picture, it's the extra ordinary schmo who points the camera then gets a check.

4. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN

Good point, Tim. :wink:

I added this to my post; "Sorry for the rant, but I get a little testy when some one says my prices are too high."

5. Tpsfoto

Tpsfoto

Jun 15, 2008
    Las Vegas NV
    Unfortunately it is people like that is why we are 35% off in business .....so many think they could shoot that wedding with 1 DSLR , a Flash & a few memory cards....isn't that all it takes to make a Pro photographer?

6. Well, if I think your prices are too high - then I just won't buy from you. But, if anyone thinks they can just buy a camera and duplicate.... well... I got into selling sports photos (well CDs) this year because the prices that were charged were high compared to the quality of the photos I saw... like trying to shoot an Ice Show (dark arena with spotlights) nd using a D70... nice but does not cut it. Well, it always looks easy when you see the picture.....

7. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Yeah I get a little miffed too. I used to say "look at the money I've spent to make sure I can take these shots! $3k for my this, and $2.5k for that" Now I just smile and say, I hope you enjoyed looking at them online!:

My wife was the worst, she berated me all the time for charging our friends. Now she actually is looking for ways to help me make a few more bucks. Must be all those emails that thank me for taking the pics.. (and the checks from Smugmug)

8. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto
    She'll probably be good for business!

9. I agree! I actually think it's great for business because these people usually realize the amount of time and money invested and how difficult it is to get quality shots and then end up with more of an appreciation of what you do. She will understand your prices in due time. :tongue:

10. Ha - she will understand your prices for sure!

Wait until she takes only 30 pictures at the next game, and see's only 1 mediocre one when she gets them on the computer screen.....

the question is - how should you deal with all the detailed questions she will be asking you about settings?

I tend to be nice and help out...but not people that trash talk me

Oh well

11. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    That's a great point, I'm sure she'll be puppy-dogging you to get the 'same' shots you do, and ask you a few dozen questions along the way :biggrin:

12. So many people out there will tell you how to take a good picture. . .:rolleyes:  They could'nt change a memory card though. . . and talk about appertures to them. . . You might as well talk in a foreign language :wink:

The trouble is so many people have digital cameras now, and think it's a case of point and shoot .. . and cant be bothered to spend the time and effort in learning the skills and gaining the knowledge and experience it takes to get to a high standard. .

13. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    Yeah and when you tell them how much you spent on a lens; even if it is a bargain, they fall over backwards asking "do they really cost that much?" I guess some people think a lens (even if it is not a pro lens) is only like $100 or something.

A friend of my parents have a son that make his money shooting gymnastics meets in Colorado. He constantly gets asked by parents why their shots turn out poorly with their point and shoots. While he is holding his Canon EOS1 MkII in his hands, he tells them "look at my camera...now look at yours."

14. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Good point, Anthony. Last fall, I got a large order from a nice couple during the flag football season, even though the husband was shooting the game with his D40 outfit. This spring, I saw him at a soccer game I was shooting. He came up to me, shook my hand, and said "Thanks for doing what you do. I can't get results like yours." :biggrin:

15. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    I don't mind giving out tips, just not all of them. :wink:

But if she walks out on the diamonds that I have exclusive permission to be on the fields........................:wink:

16. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    LOL!

17. JIm,

You might have an assistant in the making though!

18. I'll tell you the biggest difference, besides gear, is dedication. I shot 2500 images at a two FULL day swim meet. It was steaming hot and I was tired, hot, hungry, thirsty and sore. When the first day was over at around 5:30pm I stayed up unit two in the morning checking and cropping images for my exposuremanager site. Then did it again two days later at the finals.

Everyone thinks that we take the pictures and that's it. They think that's all their is to it and that anyone can pull it off with a rebel and a cheap lens. They don't know about the web space accounts, bank accounts, LOOOONG nights of chimping on the computer and finally pulling out a result. It takes dedication, extremely hard work and sacrifice. Most understand this and they express that to me with their "Thank You"s but there are a few, just a few that think it's magic and stuff just appears without any effort.

My .02

Dennis

19. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Good point, Dennis. This spring, I parent emailed me wanting to know how much it would cost to get all of the soccer pics(high res) of his son on a CD. Here's an excert from his reply to the price I quoted him;

the last line erked me. :mad:  So waited a couple days to cool off before I replied. Here's an excert;

20. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    She'll be back after she figures out what is really involved in terms of time and money to get high quality photos. More IMPORTANTLY watching her kids life pass her by through a small viewfinder.

I had a person complain to me on the sidelines that she has had poor luck in selling photos to parents. I asked her how much she charged she said $0.50 for a 4x6 $1.00 for a 5x7 and I forget what she mentioned for an 8x10 but I thought it was just above the wholesale price of prints on SmugMug.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.