Looks like I've got some competition

I stopped by the local shop to look at straps. Steve says, "We sold a camera because of what you do." of course, I said "where's my check?" :biggrin: Then he told me the story. A lady came in the store a few weeks ago, and said "I think I can do what Jim does, besides he's expensive ". :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: I sold 1000 photos all of last year. I raised my prices a little for this season, and I've already sold 1200 photos. She must be right, huh? :rolleyes:

Steve said that he politely disaggreed with her, and explained to her the type of equipment that I shoot with. She bought a D40(her first SLR:wink:) with a 55-200 zoom lens. I'm really skeeeeerrrred. :wink:

Sorry for the rant, but I get a little testy when some one says my prices are too high.

I'm sure she'd be no threat yet. What equipment did you start with? :wink:

Good point, Tim. :wink:

I added this to my post; "Sorry for the rant, but I get a little testy when some one says my prices are too high."

Unfortunately it is people like that is why we are 35% off in business .....so many think they could shoot that wedding with 1 DSLR , a Flash & a few memory cards....isn't that all it takes to make a Pro photographer?

Well, if I think your prices are too high - then I just won't buy from you. But, if anyone thinks they can just buy a camera and duplicate.... well... I got into selling sports photos (well CDs) this year because the prices that were charged were high compared to the quality of the photos I saw... like trying to shoot an Ice Show (dark arena with spotlights) nd using a D70... nice but does not cut it. Well, it always looks easy when you see the picture.....

Good point, Tim. :wink:

I added this to my post; "Sorry for the rant, but I get a little testy when some one says my prices are too high."

Yeah I get a little miffed too. I used to say "look at the money I've spent to make sure I can take these shots! $3k for my this, and $2.5k for that" Now I just smile and say, I hope you enjoyed looking at them online!:

My wife was the worst, she berated me all the time for charging our friends. Now she actually is looking for ways to help me make a few more bucks. Must be all those emails that thank me for taking the pics.. (and the checks from Smugmug)

She'll probably be good for business!

I agree! I actually think it's great for business because these people usually realize the amount of time and money invested and how difficult it is to get quality shots and then end up with more of an appreciation of what you do. She will understand your prices in due time. :tongue:

I agree! I actually think it's great for business because these people usually realize the amount of time and money invested and how difficult it is to get quality shots and then end up with more of an appreciation of what you do. She will understand your prices in due time. :tongue:

Ha - she will understand your prices for sure!

Wait until she takes only 30 pictures at the next game, and see's only 1 mediocre one when she gets them on the computer screen.....

the question is - how should you deal with all the detailed questions she will be asking you about settings?

I tend to be nice and help out...but not people that trash talk me

Oh well

Wait until she takes only 30 pictures at the next game, and see's only 1 mediocre one when she gets them on the computer screen.....

the question is - how should you deal with all the detailed questions she will be asking you about settings?

Oh well

That's a great point, I'm sure she'll be puppy-dogging you to get the 'same' shots you do, and ask you a few dozen questions along the way :biggrin:

Not really sure . . Maybe I'm lost . . ! !
So many people out there will tell you how to take a good picture. . .:rolleyes: They could'nt change a memory card though. . . and talk about appertures to them. . . You might as well talk in a foreign language :wink:

The trouble is so many people have digital cameras now, and think it's a case of point and shoot .. . and cant be bothered to spend the time and effort in learning the skills and gaining the knowledge and experience it takes to get to a high standard. .

Unfortunately it is people like that is why we are 35% off in business .....so many think they could shoot that wedding with 1 DSLR , a Flash & a few memory cards....isn't that all it takes to make a Pro photographer?

Yeah and when you tell them how much you spent on a lens; even if it is a bargain, they fall over backwards asking "do they really cost that much?" I guess some people think a lens (even if it is not a pro lens) is only like $100 or something.

A friend of my parents have a son that make his money shooting gymnastics meets in Colorado. He constantly gets asked by parents why their shots turn out poorly with their point and shoots. While he is holding his Canon EOS1 MkII in his hands, he tells them "look at my camera...now look at yours."

Good point, Anthony. Last fall, I got a large order from a nice couple during the flag football season, even though the husband was shooting the game with his D40 outfit. This spring, I saw him at a soccer game I was shooting. He came up to me, shook my hand, and said "Thanks for doing what you do. I can't get results like yours." :biggrin:

Oh well

That's a great point, I'm sure she'll be puppy-dogging you to get the 'same' shots you do, and ask you a few dozen questions along the way :biggrin:

I don't mind giving out tips, just not all of them. :wink:

But if she walks out on the diamonds that I have exclusive permission to be on the fields........................:wink:

I'll tell you the biggest difference, besides gear, is dedication. I shot 2500 images at a two FULL day swim meet. It was steaming hot and I was tired, hot, hungry, thirsty and sore. When the first day was over at around 5:30pm I stayed up unit two in the morning checking and cropping images for my exposuremanager site. Then did it again two days later at the finals.

Everyone thinks that we take the pictures and that's it. They think that's all their is to it and that anyone can pull it off with a rebel and a cheap lens. They don't know about the web space accounts, bank accounts, LOOOONG nights of chimping on the computer and finally pulling out a result. It takes dedication, extremely hard work and sacrifice. Most understand this and they express that to me with their "Thank You"s but there are a few, just a few that think it's magic and stuff just appears without any effort.

My .02

Dennis

I'll tell you the biggest difference, besides gear, is dedication. I shot 2500 images at a two FULL day swim meet. It was steaming hot and I was tired, hot, hungry, thirsty and sore. When the first day was over at around 5:30pm I stayed up unit two in the morning checking and cropping images for my exposuremanager site. Then did it again two days later at the finals.

Everyone thinks that we take the pictures and that's it. They think that's all their is to it and that anyone can pull it off with a rebel and a cheap lens. They don't know about the web space accounts, bank accounts, LOOOONG nights of chimping on the computer and finally pulling out a result. It takes dedication, extremely hard work and sacrifice. Most understand this and they express that to me with their "Thank You"s but there are a few, just a few that think it's magic and stuff just appears without any effort.

My .02

Dennis

Good point, Dennis. This spring, I parent emailed me wanting to know how much it would cost to get all of the soccer pics(high res) of his son on a CD. Here's an excert from his reply to the price I quoted him;

The price of $$$ for burning a cd seems quite outrageous to me. I would appreciate any help to get the price down to an appropriate level for the amount of work that goes into my product.

the last line erked me. :mad: So waited a couple days to cool off before I replied. Here's an excert;

Let me explain the amount of work,time, and expense, that goes into your product. The burning of a CD has absolutely nothing to do with it.

A game takes about an hour. For every game I shoot, I have 2 hours on the computer, downloading, editing and processing 300 or so images, creating a gallery, and then uploading the files. I shot almost 60 games this season.

Lets talk about the expenses, that went in to your product. If you were at the game, you saw what I shoot with. I've spent well over $5000 in camera equipment to create your product.

In the last year, I have spent about $1500 on a new desktop tower, lap top, and external HDs to process, and store your product.

I also should mention I have 30 years of experience shooting sports. When you combine that much time, expense, and experience, that goes into your product, you'll see why I won't give it away for pennies on the dollar.

Professional photographers don't sell digital files, to people who don't want to buy any prints, for less than the cost of prints. It's financial suicide. Why do you think wedding shooters offer several different packages. Packages without the files for X dollars, and packages with the files for more dollars. That's because they forfeit any future revenue.

But to contact a photographer, and say "you got a lot of great shots of my son. I'd like to have them all. However, I don't want to buy any prints. What I want is the high resolution files on a CD. That way, my family and I can make an unlimited number of prints for 20 cents a piece, instead of paying you $6 or $8 for each one. And I want the price of the CD to be based on how long it takes you to burn a CD."

Andrew, to use your description, that is simply an outrageous request. There's not a professional shooter on this planet that would take you up on that. In fact, there's probably not many who would take the time to give you a lengthy reply like this, to explain why.

I'm sorry, but the price of the CD will not change.

She'll be back after she figures out what is really involved in terms of time and money to get high quality photos. More IMPORTANTLY watching her kids life pass her by through a small viewfinder.

I had a person complain to me on the sidelines that she has had poor luck in selling photos to parents. I asked her how much she charged she said $0.50 for a 4x6 $1.00 for a 5x7 and I forget what she mentioned for an 8x10 but I thought it was just above the wholesale price of prints on SmugMug.

Latest threads

Top Bottom