Looks like Leopard is still a ways off...

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Joudbren, Mar 23, 2007.

1. rocrusso

rocrusso

Feb 15, 2007
    New Jersey
    maybe looking at a WWDC release then?

interesting news....

2. Spring ends June 22nd or around there so Apple is still well within the timetable they gave.

It's almost the end of March (8 more days), so you are talking April, May and 3/4 of June. Let's say 3 whole months. I can wait.

3. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    One of the Apple blogs I read today mentioned a guess as far back as October. Nobody knows, but since most everyone agrees it's delayed I'd say not to get your hopes up for anything soon.

On the other hand, the other rumors are about completely redesigned iMacs coming out possibly this Spring.

4. Appleinsider is quoting some site called Digitimes as saying Leopard is delayed until October but their not a very reliable source.

I say June it'll be out. WWDC is a big event for Apple and developers.

5. I'm guessing June as well. I figured it was worth posting as I see posts from a lot of people in various forums deciding whether or not they should wait to get a new Mac system until Leopard comes out. I would say this pretty clearly indicates that if you want a Mac now then just go ahead and buy it.

Otherwise you're going to be sitting on the fence potentially for at least 3 months (or longer) and by the time Leopard does ship it will probably only cost the usual $129 to buy so what are you waiting for? Go get yer Mac! (grin)

Having said that however, I see Future Shop in Canada has the iMacs on sale and I'm reading rumours that a big update is coming down the pipe for the iMac line so the sale prices would make some sense at this point in time to clear out old inventory. Anyone have any news on that refresh? I'm hearing thinner design and more horsepower.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2007
  6. I agree about if you need one, get it. I want one, but my powermac continues to run just fine.

Yeah, I have heard that there is an all new design to the iMac.

April 15th they are hosting an event and rumor is an updated Final Cut Pro and possibly the new 8 core Mac Pros. We'll see!

7. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    I cant see Apple releasing the iPhone without Leopard. Maybe i missunderstood the press releases. I still expect to see Leopard by the end of April. This maybe just MS spin. Apple are alwasy very tight lipped about release dates.

8. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Apple rumors are almost as fun as Nikon D3 rumors.

The word is that the supply chain of iMacs is drying up, leading people to believe that a new product is on its way.

Rumors about Leopard are that it's barely at a beta level now, and that Apple needs time to ensure compatibility with Windows Vista. Lets face it, lots of Apple users have to live in a Windows world.

9. Hey...it's Uncle Frank who's spreading these rumors!

:biggrin:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2007/03/23/leopard-may-be-delayed/

10. Macanudo

Macanudo Guest

Thanks for the link. Anxiously waiting...

11. dabluedevil

dabluedevil Guest

I was holding out on a macbook for leopard.

Hrmf.

12. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Yeah, I read about it last night, too. However, I'd rather keep my stable OS a while longer than trade it in for one that's not ready.

13. Blair

Blair

Jul 28, 2006
    Oregon
    exactly, thank you apple for not pushing it out the door

14. I agree; I am not in any hurry to upgrade all my computers to Leopard; I'm perfectly happy with Tiger right now. I think Apple is making the right decision to go ahead and get that eagerly-anticipated iPhone out the door first, as that's more exciting and interesting to a lot of folks than a new version of the OS. It'll mean more money and more publicity for Apple. They are smart not to rush things and push Leopard on us if the software is truly not ready....

15. This delay apparently is because the iPhone runs a special version of OSX and so they shifted some of their OS developers to the iPhone to get it out the door. But why did they deny the delay before? :confused:

16. I suspect that they were hoping against hope that they could indeed have both products ready to bring to market by WWDC but then the writing was on the wall that this just wasn't going to happen after all....

Since they announced the iPhone back in January they really would feel pressured to get that thing out into the hands of eager customers sooner rather than any later so it makes sense that they'd pull developers off Leopard temporarily and get them refining the details of the OS for the iPhone. It's going to be really interesting to see if the iPhone really is as exciting as promised....

17. I would rather wait for Leopard and get the iPhone on time.