Loon and a Redtail

I came across a loon last night. Pictures are not in a class with Jim's recent post - but for me they are keepers.

46095041.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 11868

Found this red-tail hawk this morning but I didn't get very close to it. It was neat to see though - even if it didn't stick around.

View attachment 11869

View attachment 11870

Dennis...

I got lucky cause I shot mine is some beautiful, long, subdued early morning light...

There ain't nothing wrong with your shots pal :)

By the way...if you come across more, take notice of the beak coloration. Some have dark beaks and some have a lighter gray one. I thought that perhaps it was a sex thing, but so far, none of my references have noted any differences?

Thanks, Jim. I'm still pretty much in learning mode with this camera but its getting better. These were taken about an hour before sunset and the light wasn't too harsh.

My National Geographic Field Guide says that the bill is black in breeding season and grayer in winter plumage. Maybe there are graduations in between. In these shots the bill appears light, but looking at some of my other shots, I think its just a light reflection thing. There was a large ponderosa pine tree on the far bank which was relecting the sun down on to the water which is what you see in the 1st shot.

Nice shots Dennis, you picked a tough subject to nail and you great. See you are enjoying your new toy!!! sorry I meant tool ! MIght enjoy it more if you ever get your 300mm!!!

Dennis,

I agree with Jim. These are very good. It is rare that we get to see such exemplary shots as Jim's, but these are definitely top notch. I like the Loon and the Hawk shots.

Don't be so blamed modest. :wink:

Hi, Keith.

Thanks for the comment Yes I'm enjoying it a lot. :) It's been a big step up from the cp4500, but I'm sure glad I went this route. I was supposed to hear today what the status on the 300 f/4 is but she didn't call. I'm also ordering a 500D for macro work.

Frank, its hard not to be modest on this forum. There's so many terrific posts! Thanks for the comments. :)

Dennis, when I first got my cam my longest lens was the 80-200. Then I added the 300f4 and then a teleconverter a week later. I still sometimes find that I wish I had longer. But in any case, I'm sure you'll be amazed at the quality of the 300. Maybe one day they'll make a 100-1000 zoom! ;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom