Loons in NH on the 4th

I got my butt out of bed at 4:00AM on the 4th to attempt to shoot a few loon pictures up in NH (USA)....It was somewhat cloudy and a bit breezy....but I managed some that I like and here are a few from what I've processed so far...

All shot with a D2X and 500AFS-II:

An early, low light shot....
original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As the loons swam around, the combination of the changing light sue to some scattered clouds above, coupled with varied backgrounds, made for some neat colors...

original.jpg

original.jpg

And finally I got to see one of this years little "loonlings!"...

original.jpg

original.jpg

Wow! I'm speechless. And all that time, I thought that loons where folks who escaped from the loony bin! ;-) Seriously, these are some really nice shots: I love the varying colors! 8) :lol:

Jim,

Every now and then, someone posts some shots that just take your breath away (ref Yves shots last week ;-)). These are simply awesome. I think that you are ready to quit the day job, and do this full time.

Amazing. :wink:

Hi Everyone

Geez...thanks for the really thoughtfull comments / praise.

The great news is that others were as pleased with these shots as I was :)

Thanks!

More nice work Jim...still out and about not sleeping I see! ;)

I'll have to keep an eye out for you in my yard next!

C

Real pro stuff!

It just doesn't get ANY better than this, Jim! Your hard work is rewarded, and I have no doubt these will sell like hotcakes! Were you able to get fairly close to them? How do you do it? Also, do you use a release cable or hand press the shutter?

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
I really do not know how to say anything more flattering or appreciative than what has already been expressed. These are absolutly stunning images Jim!

Hi Steve

These were actually a bit tougher than I expected. I was out in my boat and I used the electric trolling motor to approach them so as not to spook them with the outboard and also so I didn't stir the water up :)

These were tripod mounted as I scrunched down in the boat (my calf muscles are still aching!).

The tough part was due to the fact that the birds have both extreme ends of the spectrum as far as dynamic range is concerned. I had to keep the shutter speeds up (some of these were shot at as low as 1/160), try as much as possible to not blow the highlights on the white portion of the chest and not incur noise in the darker portions at the same time as trying to hold the highlights. I finally listed to Ron who was in the back of my mind chanting...."if it's white to your eyes, let it go".

No able release was used....I popped 3 of everything and simply processed the sharpest of each set after selecting them in Thumbs Plus.

All were shot on low contrast, Adobe RGB Mode III and +.3 hue added in processing.

Fantastic combo will be trying your boat tactics out when I head down the shore in August there are two osprey nests right at the end of the back bay should be able to get real close.
Great shots BTW nice colors and very sharp

Jim these are simply the best Loon shots I have ever seen. Wonderful job. It even makes getting up at 4:00 worth it doesn't it!! I have tried to shoot some loons before and I know first hand how hard they are. All I can say is I am very impressed. Thanks for sharing.

Latest threads

Top Bottom