Loons on a dreary day

I went to the pond looking to see if the loons were nesting. I was happy they were, even though it is late. If the nesting is successful chicks will hatch around 7/25. Most NE loons have hatched already so this must be there second try.
One adult was on the nest. Here is the other adult.

It was a dreary morning. The first two were at iso 1600, 1/500, wide open. The last one was iso 2500 1/800 wide open. Noise reduction on backgrounds.

I bought the 80-400 to use from my kayak but haven't decided if I like it. I will have to wait for a better day.

Preening 1
_FAA2851-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Preening 2
_FAA2855-X2.jpg

gliding across pond
_FAA2892-X2.jpg

Very nice images Allan. I hope the chicks hatch and your able to capture a few images for us to see. A beautiful bird for sure.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Any day with loons is a good day. Hope you get a GREAT day soon! LOL!

Thanks for the comments. Loons are fun to watch, especially if they don't mind you being close in a kayak. Sometimes they don't while at other times they just dive and then surface far away.

I am glad I went to the lake yesterday. The weather is even worse today.

Real Name
Luis Casals
Allan, these are great. This is a bird I would love to photograph. Unfortunately, the times I go to Minnesota to visit the in-laws it so happen to be in Winter. I have to get out of that routine.

Nice shots Allan. Looking forward to photographing some Loons during my 2 week stay in Maine which starts on 7/13. The lake cabin we stay at also has a nesting pair of Bald Eagles just a kayak's trip away.

Real Name
Dan
Nice shots, Allan. Yes we'll be looking for the chick shots.

It sounds like you're only half way on the 80-400 bandwagon. Maybe the first person on the cafe that hasn't immediately swooned after getting one. I was almost there too but then I took my 200-400 out for a spin which convinced me to renew my vows there :biggrin:

Oh, I am not swooning. I have used 300 f/4, 300 f/2.8, 500 f/4, and 600 f.4. They are all better than the 80-400 but I wanted a zoom for the kayak and the 200-400 is too heavy for me.

Well, I don't own a 200-400 and do not own all the other lenses mentioned. I used to kayak with friends but now I just get in the kayak for loon photography, a few times a year.

Real Name
Dan
I joke about the bigger boat because that's what I had to do. My wife wouldn't let me take the good stuff in the kayak. So I just procured one of those inflatable kayaks that looks like a really long, skinny raft. Doesn't paddle real great but it's super stable. I'm in the process of putting skegs on it to improve paddling characteristics.

Very nice Loon shots. I am fortunate to have a 635 acre protected Loon paradise only a few minutes drive from my house. I went out less than a week ago, and one Loon allowed me to drift up to within the length of my Kayak. With my Tokina 300mm f/4 I got some great shots. Take a look at my thread posted here if you haven't already.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=362315

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom