Loose rubber zoom ring - user repairable?

The rubber zoom ring on my 16-85 slips on the lens barrel in hot weather. Apparently the adhesive has deteriorated and the rubber expands. Has anyone repaired this on any lens?

I would appreciate advice as to what to do, and I would be willing just to pack it off to APS in Chicago if necessary.

Thorsten

Same thing happened to me (on another lens). I sent it in to Nikon and they fixed it under warranty. Is yours still coveted? As this lens was released in early 2008, most samples would still be under warranty in the US, unless you bought it the day it came out. No idea if you can fix it at home. You probably can, but I'd be careful not to make any mess with adhesive that would affect the resale value.

I can't speak for that model but I've never found rubber rings to have any adhesive, they
are just tension grip... They can expand from normal deterioration or reaction to chemicals
in cleaning fluids...

Usually you can't find replacement parts but you could contact Nikon USA and see if they
will sell you a new rubber ring... If not then the only recourse I know of would be to send
it in to APS (or equivalent)...

You could try and see if you could get one from one of the places below... If they don't
list it email and ask, they may be able to point you in the right direction...

http://uscamera.com/index.htm

http://www.bocaphoto.com/index.html

Don't know if any of this is helpful...? :confused:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Same thing happened to me (on another lens). I sent it in to Nikon and they fixed it under warranty. Is yours still coveted? As this lens was released in early 2008, most samples would still be under warranty in the US, unless you bought it the day it came out. No idea if you can fix it at home. You probably can, but I'd be careful not to make any mess with adhesive that would affect the resale value.
I am the second owner, and I've had it for several years - I forget how long. I doubt if Nikon will fix it under warranty.

I can't speak for that model but I've never found rubber rings to have any adhesive, they
are just tension grip... They can expand from normal deterioration ...
Thanks, William. That is interesting information. Guess I'll just send it to APS. After several bad experiences I don't want to send it to Nikon, especially since I don't have proof of purchase.

I have some older AIS lenses, and the rubber grip is held on with a piece of double-stick tape. Remove the rubber ring by sliding a thin rod (like a welding rod or coat hanger rod) under the rubber, replace the tape, and reinstall. Good luck!

Once you are sure that you are going to repair it anyway - slip the current ring off, soak it in acetone overnight. Take it out and let it dry completely. That will shrink it and clean it at the same time. Then just slip it back on.

You can also get the replacement from this eBay store - I have never used them, but have seen multiple links and favorable comments on boards, so I bookmarked them.

Once you are sure that you are going to repair it anyway - slip the current ring off, soak it in acetone overnight. Take it out and let it dry completely. That will shrink it and clean it at the same time. Then just slip it back on.

You can also get the replacement from this eBay store - I have never used them, but have seen multiple links and favorable comments on boards, so I bookmarked them.
Thanks, Chad. Looks like that is what I'll do. $25 (including shipping) seems a bit steep for a simple ridged rubber ring, but I see no alternative except to ship to Nikon or APS, either of which would probably cost as much or more after paying for shipping the lens.

Maybe I'll try the acetone first. :smile:

I have used the acetone trick on gaskets and it works well. As long as you are set on buying one, might as well give it a try first.

Will do. My wife says it is the same as nail polish remover, and she'll pick up some tomorrow.
Yep, she's right... With nail polish remover they just add a tiny bit of light
oil so it helps keep your skin from drying out... Without it the acetone will
suck your skin dry of oil and could make it chap...

Acetone - or some kind of solvent, like paint thinner - will really do the job. At first, when soaked, the rubber band will go even more loose, but when it dries out it'll shrink down.

Will do. My wife says it is the same as nail polish remover, and she'll pick up some tomorrow.
Yep, she's right... With nail polish remover they just add a tiny bit of light
oil so it helps keep your skin from drying out... Without it the acetone will
suck your skin dry of oil and could make it chap...
I don't know what is in nail polish remover, but the moisture sucking is what you want for this application... I would avoid anything with oil. You can get acetone anywhere (pain thinner) or use brake cleaner, but the brake cleaner takes a little longer.

You've got to be careful with paint thinner... Not all paint thinner is acetone
based and most have other additives as well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_thinner

Some even have oils mixed in, always best to read the label... :wink:
I just checked the paint thinner we have in the basement, and it's mineral spirits. Seems to have little in common with acetone. I think I recall that model airplane paint thinner is acetone.

Chad, how did you hit on acetone?

I used to spend a lot of time way off road - its a trick used to get a bad gasket back in place when you couldn't exactly call out to a parts store. Acetone is the only thing that I have ever see used. You can get it at any hobby/hardware/Wal-Mart (I suspect) and its cheap.

Real Name
Chris
Acetone dehydrates the rubber so it absorbs more of the adhesive into the rubber, which becomes spongy when dehydrated. So a better bond is formed. Unfortunately rubber also becomes brittle when dehydrated, so you need to be careful with how much and how long you treat it with acetone. Also be careful, as acetone is more volatile than mineral spirits. This increases it's flammability and the ability to produce toxic fumes.

I have successfully repaired rubber to plastic (or metal) bonding with a tiny bit of superglue, but you need to be sure when you attach it, as you have about half a second of working time. It lasts well over a decade, as long as there is not inherent movement between the two surfaces and the temperature never exceeds 120F.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom