Lophodytes cucullatus

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Desert Rat, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Bet you did not know what that subjec title was at first...

Today and this past Thursday I had a opportunity to shoot some Hooded Merganser out here in the Los Angeles area.
    Not the greatest images but they seem to work for me...

At one point they were displaying for the lone female in the pond...

All shot with a D2X-200-400 and 1.7XTC...

Also had to throw in a Northern Shoveler

View attachment 21057

View attachment 21058

View attachment 21059

View attachment 21060

2. These are pretty amazing shots. The antics they go through for a little attention is captured very well Pete (Oooops, I meant Eric - Sorry about that).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2005
  3. Gordon who the heck is Pete???

4. Very nice Eric. These look like they could have been shot at a local park here called Juanita. We have the same ducks.

5. bfjr

bfjr Guest

cool shots Eric
    good looking duckys and I like the way caught them doing their thing :smile:

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    wow that is really great.

Nice shots.

Yep tis the season :>))

7. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Nice series of shots.Liked the first one,thrid &4th shots most,nice moment to capture.

8. Those are gorgeous birds and so tough to expose right very well done

9. I had some pretty crappy weather yesterday.. it was grey and overcast all day.. problem of keeping up the shutter speeds... They are very active ducks and seem like they never stop swimming around... There might be some motion blur in theses images...

Hey James.. Heard they are down there in Florida.. They are quite warry of people.. Even with the slow methodical approach...
    Thanks for the coments...
    Ben thanks.. I found them when I got there but they were just swimming around.. After i walked around the whole pond I saw them on the other side and they started displaying for the lone female in the area...
    THnaks Gale.. They are found down in Florida right now as we..
    Thanks Rathika
    Thanks Mike.. Yep these are one tough duckie to expose for.. Just have to expose for those highlights and bring it back later in post processing...