Loralea.....thanks to Czechman01

Loralea is a local model who Woody has worked with several times. When I first saw his photo's of her I told him that I really......really wanted to work with her. He calls her "The Face" for obvious reasons. Unfortunately she had kind of lost interest in modeling......which was very disappointing.

I was thrilled to get a call from him a couple of weeks ago saying that after a fair amount of good-natured badgering off and on for a few months he had persuaded her to sit for him again; you'll remember her from Woody's recent post with the Wreath Hat. During that shoot Woody showed her some of the 40's shots that he and I have collaborated on and she liked them enough to agree to work with us for this series.

One of the most naturally beautiful and unassuming people I have ever met.

Thanks for setting it up Woody. I owe ya.....again!!

435798729_473025660a_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

438986785_8833777006_o.jpg

440399558_94df4e89bd_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gr8Tr1x

Oooooh, I get to be the first to say 'magnificent....dead on...etc...'

Awesome, Stuart. The first and last nail it, IMO. The color is obviously very good too...but not the vintage look that you're trying to achieve, I know. Stunning work again.

Stuart,

These are great! How much PP and what kind? Just one light? How big and how close to subject?

Woody, tnx! for making the arrangements!

Mike

Gotta be the bad girl with the Rhinestone necklace...lolol
Lovely images
Very well done

Do you see a darker circle under the eyes in the b/w

Oooooh, I get to be the first to say 'magnificent....dead on...etc...'

Awesome, Stuart. The first and last nail it, IMO. The color is obviously very good too...but not the vintage look that you're trying to achieve, I know. Stunning work again.

:smile: Thanks Joshua! Yeah.....only the first and third are part of the Hollywood series. The second is more of your typical modern, glam portrait with different lighting. Glad you liked them all though.

Stuart,

These are great! How much PP and what kind? Just one light? How big and how close to subject?

Woody, tnx! for making the arrangements!

Mike

Mike,
There is always a lot of PP done to my photo's. It's part of the process.....as important as the lighting or the actual photo. Photo's like these usually take close to an hour to edit and that's assuming I don't encounter any serious issues that I missed when the shot was taken.

There is quite a bit of eye work done here to remove redness from the whites and dodging to brighten the irises. Loralea wears contacts which creates two problems. First, contact wearers always seem to have more redness in the whites and secondly you can usually see a line around the edge of the contact which needs to be removed. I work these areas at 300% enlargement with a very small healing and/or clone tool.

I also used the Czechman01 Beautiful Skin technique which involves a lot of blemish and age-line removal with the healing and clone tools. Although very little was actually needed here because Loralea is one of those blessed individuals with amazing skin.
For less fortunate individuals this can take a tremendous amount of time as you have to get in there patiently and remove every blackhead, every acne scar etc.......But.....I have read that the stills retouching experts from this era frequently spent many, many hours doing this kind of work with lead retouching pencils.....sometimes to the point where the weight of the negative grew to be so heavy that they had to be handled very carefully to keep them from falling apart.

While it's not always something I want for my portraits the Blur Layer part of this tutorial is critical for getting that porcelain skin look that meticulous work of the retouchers achieved on these types of stills from the 30's and 40's....so that step was included in these.

One thing that is very important to remember when using Woody's tutorial is that if you take your time and do the healing/cloning stage carefully and correctly only a minimal blur layer of around 20% is needed to complete the look of flawless skin. If you are using more blur layer then you probably aren't doing the skin retouching thoroughly enough.

The B&W conversion was done with Fred Miranda's B&W Pro. I was using a much more expensive plug-in until Woody turned me on to the FM conversion. It is the best I have found and is perfect for recreating the tonality of the stills photo's from this era. At under $30.00 it's also inexpensive.

I also applied a 15% bump in contrast with the new Brightness/Contrast tool in CS3 Beta which works much, much better than the older CS2 version.

And finally I used a combination of USM and Smart Sharpen once the image has been sized for web. I use Smart Sharpen to.....huh...sharpen the image (my settings are low at 70%, .3, 0) and USM at 10%, 50, 0 to de-fog the image a bit.

The lighting for #1 and #3 was a single Alien Bee very high and camera right with a grid in place. It was position basically over and slightly in front of the model and then aimed down like a spot light. There was a large reflector camera left, but kept back far enough from the model so as to only open up the fill side slightly. The second shot was done with a large Alien Bee rectangular softbox about level with the model and in closer to soften the edge of the lighting/shadows with the reflector also brought in closer for less dramatic, more even lighting.

That's about it.

Thanks for thanking Woody....:smile: .....as you can see from this post I owe him for more than just his setting the model up for the shoot. I learned a good 90% of what I know about PP by looking over his shoulder while he works on his edits.

R

RForshey

Stuart, these are fantastic. My personal favorite is 3..

Gotta be the bad girl with the Rhinestone necklace...lolol
Lovely images
Very well done

Do you see a darker circle under the eyes in the b/w

Thanks Gale. I see what you are talking about in the B&W images. Thanks for the input!:smile:

Stuart, these are fantastic. My personal favorite is 3..

Hi Randy....thanks for the comments! I'm applying the old "save the best for last rule".:smile:

I love #3! Great Composure!
The satin "look" of the dress really adds to the 40's look.
I have to tip my hat to you and Woody, not only are these great photographically, but you have really nailed the wardobe and props also.
I can't image the time that the two of you have put into this series.

Excellent work!

Tim

Holy Smokes!

That last one is really fantastic (with the cigarette and smoke). Hard to tell this is not a vintage image. The others are great too (those eyes in #2!), but that last one... wow! :biggrin:

Wonderful work Stu! Each time I see your new threads I see you achieving a higher level of studio work. I hardly do any B&W but I particularly like #3. The pose, compo and the conversion are topnotch.

Thanks for sharing your workflow and light setup. Eventhough I do not have any studio lights and I hardly use my flashguns of late I still enjoy reading them. Believe me notes have been taken for future referrence should need be. :wink:

I like them all but the eyes in #2 are amazing!!!

The dynamic duo just keep raising the bar higher and higher...

Beautiful!

Oh, and the photos are wonderful too :wink: Very nice - and thanks for the discussion about your post-p, nicely phrased about how a balance is needed but it's a crucial stage.

Any more to come, please?

Thanks Paul. Woody, Laura Johnston and I did a shoot yesterday which resulted in my personal favorite work to date. We'll be coordinating some kind of multi-post soon I imagine. Stay tuned.........:smile:

I love #3! Great Composure!
The satin "look" of the dress really adds to the 40's look.
I have to tip my hat to you and Woody, not only are these great photographically, but you have really nailed the wardobe and props also.
I can't image the time that the two of you have put into this series.

Excellent work!

Tim

Thank you Tim. The satin dresses I have been using were sourced from ebay. They were listed as Hollywod/prom/bridesmaid formal dresses and were relatively inexpensive, but they definitely had the correct look.
Glad you noticed!!:biggrin:
For this entire series I have to give major kudos and props to the series of MUA's and stylists we have worked with. We told them what we were looking for and they basically nailed it.

Beautiful! Her eyes in the second photo are incredible. And, I love that you found some rhinestones so quickly...:smile:

The ever resourceful Woody has a big ol' box full of costume jewelery. I get the biggest kick out of watching the models go nuts picking out stuff to adorn themselves with. Even big girls love playing dress up!:wink:

i like the second

Hmmm...I could have guessed that would be your pick.:smile:

:smile: Thanks Roy!

Holy Smokes!

That last one is really fantastic (with the cigarette and smoke). Hard to tell this is not a vintage image. The others are great too (those eyes in #2!), but that last one... wow! :biggrin:

Thank you Philippe. The cigarette was lit, but the lights kind of blew out the actual smoke. I created the smoke in that image with the burn tool. Shhh.........:wink:

wow... great intensity. I felt hypnotized for a moment.

Nice!!! Thank you!!

Knocked it out of the park with these Stuart, the last one in particular is good enough to make me want to take up smoking:tongue:

Know don't do anything rash Eric! Thanks!!

Truly wonderous work my friend! :cool:

I would say, without conviction, that you have achieved your aim with the forties theme/style.

Simply beautiful work. Thanks for the PP... helped to clear a few things up in my ever so clouded mind! :eek:

G

Thanks Graeme. Whether we nailed it or not it was certainly fun trying and I learned a lot along the way. Glad the PP stuff helps.

Wonderful work Stu! Each time I see your new threads I see you achieving a higher level of studio work. I hardly do any B&W but I particularly like #3. The pose, compo and the conversion are topnotch.

Thanks for sharing your workflow and light setup. Eventhough I do not have any studio lights and I hardly use my flashguns of late I still enjoy reading them. Believe me notes have been taken for future referrence should need be. :wink:

Hey....anytime you want to pay me back you can simply share your own PP with me!!!:biggrin: Thanks Banhup!

I like them all but the eyes in #2 are amazing!!!

The dynamic duo just keep raising the bar higher and higher...

Thank you Brian!

Whoaaaaa, I'm impressed! Well done, very well done. Those eyes in the second shot are incredible.

Great makeup job, as well. She really knows her stuff - shows in #3.

Latest threads

Top Bottom