Lord help me, what am I going to do with them?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    :smile: As most of you know I have another equally expensive hobby, model railroading. Honestly, if I had known it was going to be I don't think I'd have gotten into it. But, that's beside the point and the point is.... pictures. I'm a visual type, always was and probably, the good Lord willing, always will be. I have to make myself NOT see compositions, if you know what I mean.
    Hang in there, I'm getting to the point.
    There is another website devoted to the model railroad hobby, one of hundreds, that I frequent. That didn't come out right. I don't frequent hundreds.. I meant... oh, you know what I mean. Anyway where was I? Oh.. the participants of this un-named site seem to despise pictures.
    Good grief, how can anybody despise pictures you say? I know, I know.. but they, the majority anyway... do.
    Now, on this website, these people are discussing the latest offerings from whatever manufacturer of engines, or rolling stock, or how to do 'trees' for believable scenery, or how to weather items so they look more natural.
    And what would you, dear member of this fine photography related website say would be the IDEAL way for them to illustrate what they're trying in a thousand words to explain?
    Pictures? I think you got it!
    But, the place is populated by some of the worst photographers I've ever seen. Poor lighting, out of focus, too far away from the main subject to even tell what it is, incorrect sizing and sharpening for the web. :rolleyes: *sigh* What's a photographer/model railroader to do? If someone posts a picture showing the detail of a certain engine or structure or whatever, if it's large enough for the viewer to actually SEE anything, he or she is nearly drummed out of the place. I've tried nudging them down the right and proper path to photographic enlightenment but all to no avail.
    You know, they just seem to be more interested in model trains than in pictures.
    Imagine that.
    Jarrell

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Well, you can always post a link to your pictures, so the ones who hate them can just pass the pix by. But of course, then they would be really missing out, because Jarrell (and I believe you know this) you are one of the better photographers of model trains (well, and everything else too) around.

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Jarrell,

I completely understand, been there and done that although I frequent the big toy train area, O gauge, hi rail, and three rail stuff. At the OGR forums folks are about the best train photogs I have seen, but as you stated on the other model forums, they holler loudly about bandwidth, and everything else, even though I might only post a 100kb file.

On another note, my coworker/buddy, Eric Brooman,Utah Belt, had a spread in the October Model Railroad Mag, he shot those shots in film and he was disgusted with how dark the publisher published the photo. He sent the negative and they screwed up the scanning and files for publication. He also has the feature spread in the Great Model railroads of 2006. Look for it.

I told him, let me know when you are ready to shoot again. He has a good Micro manual lens he uses on his film body, that would work very well on my new D200 when it arrives. :biggrin: I told him we could hook up to my CPU and observe the shots on the spot and just send corrected tiffs to the mag and they wouldn't be able to mess up the scan on his negatives.

How about some layout shots Jarrell, we would appreciate them here!

Cheers, Wade

PS the latest Ogauge steam locomotive I want to buy = the cost of the D200. Needless to say, I haven't bought any trains in a long time. I just run what I currently have, and buy more lenses an cameras. Seems like I went from trains to photography, and you moved more from photography to trains recently.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Don't think you would have a problem here, nudging us down a bettter path in photography. :>))

I rather miss all you do. Miss all your photography.

No I can't understant them. However everyone has thier own nitch.

Thank you for sharing.

5. You would most certainly think that train afficiandos would drool over very nice train pics???!!!! What are they thinking... or more like NOT thinking? That's about the only way a train forum could really share their hobby, share the pics of their various models, setups, etc. You're right, I'll never figure it out, doesn't make sense to me either!

6. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I may not have explained the situation well Chris. It's not so much my photos that upset them, it's as Wade explains in his answer, it's more about bandwith, they don't like scrolling through pictures etc. I wish they would get more with the idea that the better the pictures become, the better people will learn and be motivated to do better with their own layouts etc.
    But, it's not a top priority with them as it is with us in the 'image' world, so it'll never happen.
    I'm really wishing out loud a LOT more than complaining.. :smile:
    Jarrell

7. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I started in 3 rail but as a lot of people do switched to HO because of the size. The top O scale offerings are just drop dead beautiful and the sound quality over HO sound... well, you know what I mean.
    I looked up Erics "A Changing Of The Guard On The Utah Belt", this time taking careful note of the pictures. Lol... he had a right to be ticked! I mean they're great composition wise and all, but a wee bit on the dark side. His layout is really something to behold. I have to remember.. Jarrell, he's been doing this for over 30 years. He didn't get that way over night!
    You're just the man to solve his problem though with that new D200!! :smile:
    See, that's what I don't understand! It's beyound me that anyone would have a creation like a well done mr layout and NOT want to become an expert photographer. Well, and expert model rr photographer anyway.
    Oh well, we just think differently I guess.
    Thanks for the heads up on the article and all, Wade.
    Jarrell

8. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Gale, this hobby wasn't supposed to take so much time, be so expensive and use ALL my available (what used to be) studio space. You don't know how often I've almost put them all on ebay, rip out the benchwork and reset the lights and backgrounds. It's been close a couple of times and it still may happen.. :smile:
    Jarrell

9. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I think Wade really has the answer. It's not so much railroad nuts as just SOME railroad nuts.. :smile:
    Jarrell

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    geeezzz Jerrell.
    It is tough to have so many great talents and hobbys. I have several other hobbys that don't get done anymore because of photography. Not enough time.
    So I just go with what is for now. I do miss the others, but guess not enough to start them over again.
    Tough choices Jarrell.