Los Angeles police investigating paparazzi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JAM, Jun 10, 2005.

1. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Here's an interesting new article about the Los Angeles police conducting an investigation into what is alleged to be criminal behavior.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4082022.stm

I know this has been discussed here before and the lines supporting 'freedom of speech and movement' vs. 'right to privacy' have been argued for years. But has this photographic genre now gone too far?

2. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Interesting article. My answer would be that any criminal behavior has gone too far regardless of the participants/profession. If what is being investigated and found to be accurate, the participants are criminals. As to what is being investigated, the first question that came to mind was, why am I not surprised!?! Thanks for sharing this one. It replaced my article of the week when a lady was asked what was flapping under her skirt.

3. Re: Are the L.A. paparazzi criminals?

In certain cases, but what profession doesn't have members that haven't gone too far? The clergy? Corporate leaders? Politicians?

Who are the "victims"? There's big money to be made in becoming celebrity in today's world, and that can't be done without publicity. All the paparazzi are doing is providing free PR. The problem is, some of the celebs want "artistic control" over the process, and that's not going to happen unless they hire their own photographers.

4. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
  5. papparazzi criminals?

We need an expert, I am sure Johnathan will have something to say!
    And Larry i am glad you did not elaborate, CS Dayan

6. Re: papparazzi

I can just imagine what it will be, particularly in light of the title to this thread. It would be nice if the originator would change it to something less provocative, like "article on LA paparazzi".

7. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Re: papparazzi

Normally I would agree with a different title but the news article title is "Police probe 'criminal' paparazzi" and the title of this thread is questioning the article's title by asking "Are the L.A. paparazzi criminals?". Even if in an off-handed manner it seems fair.

Now if the news title had been, "Police probe paparazzi", I'd even have a hayday with subtitles.

8. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Re: papparazzi criminals?

So you missed the other interesting article, huh? It was carried by Reuters out of Melbourne, Australia this past Wednesday.

9. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Title changed. Glad to oblige.

10. Re: papparazzi

There's a subtle difference, Larry.

"Police probe 'criminal' paparazzi" indicates LAPD is invesigating some paparazzi that are acting in an illegal fashion.

"Are the L.A. paparazzi criminals?" suggests that all LA paparazzi are suspects.

JAM, thanks for detuning the title!

11. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Re: papparazzi

I'll give you that one. I just went on to the article and read that it was some LA paparazzi under discussion without much attention to the implication of all LA paparazzi.

Lol, great title change, JAM. Have not had such a good laugh all day.

12. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Uncle Frank wrote:
    Every profession that has members who have gone too far, has generally found itself subjected to new rules, regulations, or laws. Then these affect the entire profession. Sometimes the new rules, regulations, or laws "go too far" also, and over time that gets changed. I think of it as a pendulum - it's been going on forever in one way or another.

13. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    The longer article does give a clearer story. I found by doing a C/P on this part of the link-
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-paparazzi10jun10,1,3106940,full.story
    made it possible to by-pass the registration. Something in your link triggers the link to a new page.

Ken, so very true many times. Who among us have not seen it? Worse is closing loopholes that create more loopholes.

14. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Last evening I was flipping channels and came across the 'Donny Deutch' show on MSNBC. He had Peter Howe as a guest. Howe has this new book out and, of course was plugging the book.

Its called "Paparazzi:And our obsession with celebrity"

Howe also has an article in Digital Journalist -

http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0506/paparazzi.html

Deutch, of course, had guests on who advocated both sides of the issue. I was really struck by the comments from one guy, an 'image broker' who claimed he had cultivated contacts who worked for most of the tabloids. His game is to have these employees divert 'juicy' images to him in return for a good payment. He then brokers those same images to the employers of these people.

He saw absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I switched channels.

15. Classic obfuscation. :x

When you can't run a business, city, etc. create an issue. This city is a total third world disgrace and "this" is what the 'authorities' are going after. :shock:

JohnG

16. I think it's ridiculous. Just because a few over priced cry baby celebrities complain, the police jump in on the paparazzi and are currently conducting a shakedown. There are far worst problems in Los Angeles that need attending to (crime, political corruption, under funded schools, etc.).

Cameron Diaz said something in the effect of "having no rights..." which is complete bull, considering her side of the story gets front page press without a single paparazzi interviewed to get his/her side of the story. Do you know how much free crap these celebs get? How easy they get away with stuff? They are treated like freaking royalty! Cry me a river, its complete bull.