Lost in Translation?

Real Name
Dan
Someone requested a print of this image. I've always liked this one but never printed it. Thought it would do well on metal due to the bright colors and detail. But now that I have the proof in my hands I don't like it at all. Considering telling the client that I can't provide the print. I'm in a quandry because many times people like images that I don't particularly care for but the customer is always right. Right? But this time I REALLY don't like the printed version. I've got it on a wall right now hoping it will grow on me. So what to do? Not let them have the print or go with the conventional wisdom?

p3082441500-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Consider explaining your concerns to the customer especially in the context that you didn't custom print it yourself, offer to send it and to refund the money if the customer doesn't like it. Otherwise, send it and don't explain your concerns. I think it would be a mistake for you to decide for the customer whether it's a valued purchase.

Last edited:
The crop seems a bit too tight. But hey, if it was up to me everyone would be driving the same car and wearing the same cloths.
Take the money.

Real Name
Dan
Consider explaining your concerns to the customer espcially in the context that you didn't custom print it yourself, offer to send it and to refund the money if the customer doesn't like it. Otherwise, send it and don't explain your concerns. I think it would be a mistake for you to decide for the customer whether it's a valued purchase.
Thanks, Mike. Almost exactly what my wife said. So you must be right :D
The crop seems a bit too tight. But hey, if it was up to me everyone would be driving the same car and wearing the same cloths.
Take the money.
If you mean too tight on top I agree. I wanted to get the FG rocks and was shooting a 70-200 at 70mm for this shot. Well I thought I was. After the fact EXIF says 78mm so could have given a bit more room up there :oops:

When I saw your title and the image- I was actually going to tell you it may need some work before going to print. Oops, already printed.
How big did you print it? What metal surface- gloss/matte/white/silver?
Printed images- especially when large- often really need to look overworked on the screen to look decent in a large print. I usually run several full sized test prints before going to hang on the wall.
I would never ever sell anything that I wasn't proud of.
What specific things do you not like about it- this is an image that will be challenging to print, but it can be done.
gary

Real Name
Dan
When I saw your title and the image- I was actually going to tell you it may need some work before going to print. Oops, already printed.
How big did you print it? What metal surface- gloss/matte/white/silver?
Printed images- especially when large- often really need to look overworked on the screen to look decent in a large print. I usually run several full sized test prints before going to hang on the wall.
I would never ever sell anything that I wasn't proud of.
What specific things do you not like about it- this is an image that will be challenging to print, but it can be done.
The version here is not the version that was printed. Historically I've done pretty well with the transition from screen to print. Granted I've printed a lot more creatures than landscapes.
If time permits, can you run it through post processing again to export a version that renders more to your liking to evaluate in a second proof?
Yes there's no rush.

Actually I moved the proof to a wall across from a picture window and it looked much better when the sun was out today and the print was well lit. In the lower lighting conditions the contrast just doesn't show. And IMO the shot is all about the lighting. So my plan is to tweak the processing slightly and go ahead with the metal print.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Do you know if the buyer plans to add a picture light above the metal print? That would make a big difference, I think. You can at least recommend it as an option. They are easy to set up and not that expensive. We have one above a very large painting in our entry way.

I would let the customer know your concerns and then ask if he stills wants it. Tell him you will refund his money if he is disatisfied.

Real Name
Dan
Do you know if the buyer plans to add a picture light above the metal print? That would make a big difference, I think. You can at least recommend it as an option. They are easy to set up and not that expensive. We have one above a very large painting in our entry way.

I would let the customer know your concerns and then ask if he stills wants it. Tell him you will refund his money if he is disatisfied.

Yes I plan to be a little more aggressive with final editing and will advise the client that the print should be hung in a place with plenty of light. And if they are not satisfied I'll find a place for it at home. We're remodeling our house and I plan to dedicate some wall space for photos of Prince William Sound. It really does pop with adequate light and well lit metal prints are the closest thing to viewing an image on screen.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom