Lost the drive...

Ok I used to love going out to take pictures. Seems like ever since i bought my D40 i slowly started to lose the drive to go back out and get pictures. In the past year i had used my D40 a hand full of times and i can do it using less then 10 fingers.

This thread was really the first time in a long time i pulled the camera out.

Any tips on how to get the spark back?
I really want to get a 55-200 lens and SB 400 or possibly a SB600 (used) but i'm not ready to spend the money if they want get used more then a few times a year.

Any hits?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a photo addict and I look at an object not as an object but at a photo op. Maybe you should find some mundane object around the house and use some creativity to make it a good shot. Don't just snap a shot create a shot.

Just an idea.
When did you start getting bored with it? Some here it seems pretty much take the same photo over and over again without any creativity. The would bore me to stop shooting.

Is there anyone in the Tulsa area you know that shoots? Maybe go out with someone and shoot anything! For me it's as much social as it is documenting my life, art, etc.

maybe just choose a theme and get creative with just that ... I recently read a bunch of books by Bryan Peterson ... and could suggest "Learning to See Creatively" ... choose a theme you enjoyed earlier ... and spend time exploring it ... at times I get bogged down too when I 'feel' i need to shoot everything around me ...

Is there anyone in the Tulsa area you know that shoots? Maybe go out with someone and shoot anything! For me it's as much social as it is documenting my life, art, etc.
I tried looking and the face book pages has not had a post since 10/10

I am starting to think it is a social thing.
Last night we had storms start to blow and i had a friend over. I pulled out the camera with out really thinking of it trying to get shots of lightning. Too bad there was no cloud to ground most of it was hidden by the clouds. I honestly think it was having someone with me.

I think next week when i can replenish my bank account (bills, mortgage and everything else was due) I might try to make a light box.

I really geek out on photography and understand the basics and then some but i really want to learn more.

You know, sometimes a break is not a bad idea. I spend more time looking at images and much less time making them, when I get into this "mood". A lot of times this happens to me in the winter. Someone I consider a good friend said to me (when I asked a similar question), and I am paraphrasing here:

"As photographers we sometimes get overwhelmed by feeling we have to capture every moment".

This resonated with me at the time, as it still does to this day:smile:. I enjoy making/taking photos, but many times I feel it is my job to do so and for 2 reasons primarily~

The first is due to the amount of money spent on the gear. This I call the "I must show that the money spent on my hobby, is justified". Or in other words, now that you have the gear, you had better use it and make great photos. Show that the money was worth it in a sense.

The second is mainly related to family, and in my case, children. Capturing the moments as they are growing older. Afraid to miss something or wondering if later on you will regret not making more images.

In any case, sometimes it is good to slow down and relax. Something will spur you on. That holds true for every time I have hit a lull. Some other helpful tips for when I posed the question were, picking up some photo related books. Practicing on photo editing/PP and going through some older images as well. Sounds like you already considered the "invite a friend" for a shoot and traveling always helps. :wink:

Enjoy, and no need to worry, the bug will soon catch you again!

My photography needs to be really goal-oriented to keep me going now. I can't just go out and "shoot something". It's gotta be a portrait shoot, or a sports event, or something concrete like that for me to enjoy it.

Freeman Patterson, a famous Canadian photographer from Brunswick, has written several books on photography. I find them all interesting but he has one that fits you nicely and it is called "Photography and the Art of Seeing."
In his book Mr. Patterson will teach you how to look at familiar objects differently. I am sure you will find plenty of inspiration to begin to photograph again. The book has excellent exercises that will spark your imagination. I can assure you that if you follow his teachings your photography will be on the go again and it will be different...and so much better!

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I've been where you are now, and to a degree probably still am. I recently bought a nice Tokina 100mm macro and plan to just get out and shoot in the backyard, just keep it local. Mastering a new technique can help me refire the creativity at times, and the subject matter is certainly close.

A break can be a good thing too. I've done it with photography and other hobbies. Sometimes the break is a few months, in other cases a few years. What I have found is that the hobby moves on, and when I re-enter it, it's got so much new to it I can find something of interest in the new areas.

Take your time, don't force it to be a job rather than a passion.

Ok I used to love going out to take pictures. Seems like ever since i bought my D40 i slowly started to lose the drive to go back out and get pictures. In the past year i had used my D40 a hand full of times and i can do it using less then 10 fingers.

This thread was really the first time in a long time i pulled the camera out.

Any tips on how to get the spark back?
I really want to get a 55-200 lens and SB 400 or possibly a SB600 (used) but i'm not ready to spend the money if they want get used more then a few times a year.

Any hits?
Shoot two rolls of film and call me in the morning.

Ok well i think this made up my mind.

Best buy has the 55-200mm VR on sale for $194
But they also have the 55-300 VR for $319

It would be really nice for the 55-300 but i can use that extra money for a nice back back camera case

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom