Lost vacation pics!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris C, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Came home from a 5-State vacation (which included 3 days and about 3GB full of images of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon) and started installing my new computer and setting up a home network. Not sure how I managed it, but I deleted all my vacation pics off my laptop and even emptied the trash bin! :eek:  DUH! :Angry: I'm not totally panicked yet because I've not done anything on the laptop since it happened and know a good program can save many if not all of the images. I just don't know a good one. I tried a trial of DiskInternals Flash Recovery and found about 155...................but that was far from the almost 5 GB I shot on the trip. Any suggestions as to a good program......one that won't cost an arm and a leg? I'd sure hate to lose the images from my first trip to the Grand Canyon.

2. Did you already erase or reformat the cards where these images come from? If not, copy them again. If you did, and assuming you haven't reused them since, run the recovery program on the cards themselves.

Good luck!

3. If 29.95 is not an arm and a leg... and you are not running Windows Vista Business or Vista Enterprise... give Undelete a try.

It is from the Diskeeper people and has woprked great for me for years.

http://www.undelete.com/file-recovery.asp

4. Thanks, Phillipe, but all the cards have been deleted and reformatted.

And thanks for the links, fellas. I tried them both. But absolutely nothing about computers is "intuitive" for me and I couldn't make either work.:Curved: I had a suggestion for one PM'd to me and couldn't get it to work either. Darnit, I hate being so computer illiterate! Feel helpless half the time!

5. That sucks! If you hadn't reformatted, I would've sent you one of my copies of Lexar Image Rescue or Sandisk RescuePro. But I don't think they'll help since you've reformatted. Wish I could help.

6. Chris,

Something else to try :

DiskInternals Flash Recovery is a flash memory file recovery tool that restores all corrupted and deleted photographs even if a memory card was re-formatted. You can see recovered images even with the free trial version.

http://www.diskinternals.com/flash-recovery/features.shtml

7. Thanks, Don..............but in my first post I explained I'd already used it.

8. DUh...

Oh ya..

Sorry

Maybe something here could help...

http://3d2f.com/tags/recover/formatted/disk/

Don't give up yet! :smile:

9. Chris,

I've had good success rate on saving many crashed disks with Stellar Phoenix software. http://www.stellarinfo.com/. Check it out.

That is if I understood you correctly. You are trying to undelete files from your laptop, not memory cards, right?

10. Run the program on the cards anyway. You'll be surprised what you might be able to pull off them. I had to run it on cards because of the same problem two years ago, and pulled off pics that had been taken months before the formatting, and had pics overwritten on the cards! I was shocked by what the program was able to do. Can't hurt.

By the way, that sickening feeling in the pit of your stomach will go away over time. I know it well!

11. Sandi, I ran the program on all three cards. (5 GB worth) I came up with 184 pictures on one card.........but 83 were contaminated somehow. On the other two cards I pulled up pictures from trips from two years ago..........but not one picture from the trip last month! Go figure! I even tried it 2 times with the same results. I always reformat the cards after I download and delete the data, so maybe that has something to do with it.

12. Sorry to hear you didn't have more success with that. Think how many times you must have formatted that card and it still managed to pull up pics from two years ago!!! Strange indeed.

Guess you'll just have to take the trip again!

13. I'd love to take the trip again, but, alas, not enough time or money.:frown:

14. trublu

trublu

Jul 23, 2007
    nyc
  15. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Chris, I googled and found a reference to Undelete-Plus on LifeHacker (lifehacker is a pretty good site for this kind of stuff). You might want to give that a try. From what I see from the screen shots it should be pretty easy for you to use.

As for finding those old files back: reformatting is usually nothing more than resetting the "table of contents" of a flash card (for all geeks: yes there's more to it than that but I'm trying to keep it simple) so the rest of the data is still there.
    Say that you usually fill your card for say 50% but two years ago for 75%, then the files you'll still find are in the 50%-75% section.

16. Chris...

I would think you would have more success recovering the files from your laptop than the cards. You did say in your first post that you deleted them from your laptop. Are you trying these undelete programs on both the laptop and the cards?

Don

17. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    I would think there is a much better shot at recovery off the laptop hard drive than the cards.

I too have used Stellar Phoenix with good success.

http://www.stellarinfo.com/

No commercial connection, just a satisfied customer.

Or take it to a real geek. <g>

After I replace a laptop drive, I put the 'old' (in good shape) drive in a USB enclosure and carry it traveling as a backup to the laptop drive.

Between unerased CF cards, 2 copies on the laptop drive and the backup drive, I manage to avoid a cold sweat. Mostly.

Dave

18. I've just tried Smartundelete for the HD on the laptop. When I ran one of the suggested programs on the cards, I retrieved about 101 good images. But with Undelete, I didn't get but a handful of "Good" retrievals..........the rest (and it was a large number) are listed as "Poor". I've not yet purchase the program to actually see the images, so I don't know exactly what they mean by "poor". Anyone have any experience with Undelete?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  19. RGB Bob

RGB Bob Guest

Ususally a good solution

Is Winternals Disk Commander. I've had good luck with this on failed drives as well as mistakenly formatted drives.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.