Lots of fog on Skyline Drive

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by sfoxjohn, Nov 22, 2005.

1. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    I usually like a little fog in my morning pictures, but this was ridiculous. Last month we took a trip that included an overnight at Skyland on Skyline Drive, VA.

Here was the view from our balcony at 3:15 PM. Usually you can see clear across the valley.

[​IMG]

But sometimes you could see things like these trees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or if you really squint one might look like this

[​IMG]

But then when facing East the sky would open a little and you could see stuff like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At night walking to dinner you had to be sure to closely follow the person in front of you and hope he knew the way and didn't step off a hill. LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2005
  2. Very well done John, a nice series of shots.

3. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I Love the fog shots.

I grew up in Fairfax Va and spent many a days hiking the trails in those mountains. I will always remember the foggy cool mornings and how quickly it would lift revealing those special mountain valley views.

Thanks for the memory's.

4. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thanks Gordon.

Kelly, I'm glad I could bring back old memories.

5. John, next time you are in my kitchen, let me know, would love to meet you. assuming I could find you in the fog.
    Dave

6. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Dave, thanks for the kind words. My wife was born and raised in Charlottesville and we met when I was a grad student at UVa many long years ago. So, I can't count the times I've been on Skyline and BRP. I think I like the Parkway better than the Drive. It has that rustic real woods feel to it.

...but I didn't know I was in your kitchen! Lots of camping or backpacking there?

7. John there is loads of camping and backpacking here and I grew up doing just that, so if you are inclined ANYTIME to do so or anyother activity, I am at your service. I am 40 minutes from Charlottesville and grew up in Waynesboro.
    dave

8. We had a similar experience at Skyland in May. Had a beautiful sunset view from our room window, but the fog was so bad the next morning we could hardly find the restaurant. Got one shot of a waterfall:

[​IMG]

9. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Hi PA,

So you know what I meant about getting to dinner in the evening. Actually when we arrived there we were parked in the lot about 50 feet from the office and I had to ask a man raking leaves where the office was!! He just said to go where he pointed and I would eventually see it.

Nice moody waterfall picture.