Lots of gear for sale need assistance

Real Name
Colin Carter
Hi All,

I think you all will know by now, that this year we sadly lost our good friend Randy Rimland after a long battle.

I have just been contacted by Melodee, Randy widow and she is looking to sell all of Randy's camera equipment.

What she would like is a forum member, hopefully a good friend of Randy's who lives close to her in North Carolina to help her with inventory and selling all the gear.

I would have gladly helped her, but living in the UK, it makes it difficult.

If anyone, here, on the forum could help, could you please drop me a PM and I will pass on your details to Melodee

Thanks everyone

Best wishes

Colin.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Colin, duplicating and moving this to a few forums to help out. whoever you and she selects, have them drop me a note so we can assist with the sale, usually you must own the gear you sell, but under circumstances such as this we of course make allowances.

Good luck. Wade

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thx Karen, i will keep you in the loop
I could drive down for a day or so to help inventory and photograph the gear. Then she and I could decide on prices. Then based on what is there, decide on contacting KEH, B&H etc or selling it via here or FM.

I've bought and sold a reasonable amount of stuff used and have a very nice reputation for accurately describing gear and fairly pricing it.

Besides, I made a few photo trips with Randy and considered him a friend.

Real Name
Colin Carter
I could drive down for a day or so to help inventory and photograph the gear. Then she and I could decide on prices. Then based on what is there, decide on contacting KEH, B&H etc or selling it via here or FM.

I've bought and sold a reasonable amount of stuff used and have a very nice reputation for accurately describing gear and fairly pricing it.

Besides, I made a few photo trips with Randy and considered him a friend.
Thx Karen, I have passed on your posts to Melodee

One place to definitely consider offering the gear for sale would be District Camera, where Randy bought a lot of his gear in the first place. They're located in Burke, Virginia but of course do online pricing and estimates and shipping to them wouldn't be an issue -- I don't think Randy had ever set foot in the store, just did his shopping via phone and online.

Real Name
Colin Carter
One place to definitely consider offering the gear for sale would be District Camera, where Randy bought a lot of his gear in the first place. They're located in Burke, Virginia but of course do online pricing and estimates and shipping to them wouldn't be an issue -- I don't think Randy had ever set foot in the store, just did his shopping via phone and online.

Thanks, i will pass on the info

Thank you, Karen -- I should've mentioned Eldar by name! DUH.... Yes, he's the owner there, or one of them. It is a family-owned business, and as time has gone on it has appeared to me that Eldar has been taking over from his father. Also Ramona (forget what her last name is), one of the key staff there, is I think the person who has the responsibility of evaluating gear that is being offered to them for trade-in or sale. When I traded in my Nikon gear back in 2019 I prepared a list with all the info about the bodies and lenses and provided it to the store ahead of time. When she'd had a chance to look over my list and check against whatever sources they use, Ramona then sent me an email with an estimate, and it was after that when I took in my gear, having ascertained that they had what I wanted to purchase in stock. All went very smoothly! Eldar, too, did take a look at some of the gear, including the classic 58mm Noct, and we then firmed up the amount that they would offer me. They gave me a very fair price. Of course I was trading in as preparation for buying new gear, not selling outright. I believe they offer somewhat less when someone is simply selling their gear to them -- maybe 5% or 10% difference?

And, yes, I don't know where my head was today, but I earlier neglected to say that as a local and someone who does shop at District Camera and has done so for years, of course if there is any way that I can help out with all of this somewhere along the line, I would be happy to do so.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I will be driving down to see Melodee this Wednesday and staying long enough to inventory and photograph as much as I can over Wed afternoon and Thursday - possibly Friday morning depending on what is left to do. Then Melodee and I will discuss next steps.....

Another place to sell is mpb.com. I've been pleased with their prices in the past.

But of course you can always do better selling to individuals.

I will be driving down to see Melodee this Wednesday and staying long enough to inventory and photograph as much as I can over Wed afternoon and Thursday - possibly Friday morning depending on what is left to do. Then Melodee and I will discuss next steps.....
Once inventory complete , can you post it here ? Thanks

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Right now I am focused on preparing to go down there, gathering my gear together and developing an Excel inventory form that I can use to expedite collecting information on the various items, including model number, serial number, condition, are related accessories included (box, end cap, lens cap, cables, chargers, manuals, etc), related photo file names for images of the item, re-set cameras to default settings, remove copyright info, etc, etc.

Later, if I feel it is appropriate and if Melodee decides to sell some items individually, I will suggest posting on NikonCafe first. As I help Melodee, I will be letting her know what her options are and letting her decide how she wants to proceed.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom