Lots of gold and some silver

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Nik Zinoviev, Sep 18, 2008.

1. I took this shot in a very remote location in the far south of New Zealand.
    The area was very scarcely populated with farmers' houses located 5-10 miles away from each other. We drove to one farmer, who we thought we had a booking with to stay for the night, but unfortunately the agent made a mistake of sending the application and not confirmng it with him. When we came, it turned out the summer house he was subletting was taken by others. He also told us that there's no B&В to stay in the radius of 30 miles! And it was getting late ... Bummer! After driving over 300 miles that day we were tired and hungry... Then he remembered he had a buddy-farmer, who lived approximately 10 miles away from him. He wasn't in the business of B&B, but would be willing to let us in his house for the night, if he had asked him to. So we drove to the new place and got a little lost on the way. Having stopped to look at the map and trying to figure out where we were, we saw this beautiful lake. We stepped out of the car and walked several minutes to to get a better look. It was an amazing view! The lake dried up a little and had the stones and the dirt from the bottom showing up above the water. The dissappearing sun light created a breathtaking effect with the cloud formations in the sky. It looked like a big mass of gold and silver spread over the mirror surface of the lake with the very impressive opening in the sky also colored in gold. Some things in life that we judge as negative and annoying could turn out to be a part of bigger, wonderful plan, can't they ? Yes, and we found the house that night, and met a very kind and hospitable Kiwi couple, who took good care of us.

I have not done any PP to the photo, except for increasing the contrast slightly on the sky and the water. Shot with D3 +17-35/2.8

[​IMG]

2. I really like it!

3. Beautiful Nik. Too bad about your reservation but sounds like all worked out ok for you.

4. kpstatz

kpstatz

May 13, 2008
    NYC
    Great photo, nice story! Don't you just love New Zealand?

5. Thanks for kind words, Darrel and John!

6. Klaus-Peter, I love it indeed! NZ is a gorgeous country, a dream come true for any landscape fotographer!

7. yuriy435

yuriy435

Nov 1, 2008
    Rocklin, CA
    you picked out the perfect title for the thread.
    "мне очень нравится фото"