Lots of Nikon news

Nikon-Nikkor-Z-lens-roadmap-July-20202.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Note the fine print at lower left. Unfortunately that includes the two I'm most interested in: 24-105 and 105 Micro.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
These points I found the most interesting

• DSLR has about 65% of the light hitting the sensor. The mirrorless bodies have 90% of the light hitting the sensor.
  • How long will Nikon continue to support the F-mount? The response: F-mount has been around since 1959 and Nikon is not planning to walk away from F-mount because DSLR bodies are better for certain types of photography (better than mirrorless), for example: sports, car racing, erratic movements like BIF. Nikon does not see any changes to F-mount in the next 5 to 7 years (at least).
  • Nikon's focus group found that 45% of Nikon owners use their DSLR and mirrorless cameras for video. (AB comment, but how many are serious about it?, I think it might be quite a bit lower)
  • The D500, D5, D850 DSLR cameras will get a firmware update for CFexpress memory cards, just like the Z6 and Z7.

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2020/07/31/...ll-higher-than-mirrorless.aspx/#ixzz6Tns4VC00

Still no 70-200/4 lens.

Marketing at it's usual.
There are 24 TOTAL Z mount lenses.
But three of the lenses are DX lenses, not FX lenses.
So there are 21 FX Z lenses for you FX guys, and only 3 DX Z lenses for the DX Z50.

Real Name
Randy
I wonder why the 24-105 doesn't list aperture ?
Isn't this the lens everyone is waiting for ?
Until AF gets alot better I won't consider any native z long glass

Real Name
Randy
Still no 70-200/4 lens.

Marketing at it's usual.
There are 24 TOTAL Z mount lenses.
But three of the lenses are DX lenses, not FX lenses.
So there are 21 FX Z lenses for you FX guys, and only 3 DX Z lenses for the DX Z50.
it's the main reason I sent my Z50 back

It makes sense to me that the emphasis would be on releasing FX lenses because they, unlike the DX lenses, can be used on both FX and DX cameras. I realize using an FX lens on a DX camera is not optimal use and cost, but it's a reasonable compromise for a couple years when building out a completely new line of lenses.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
It makes sense to me that the emphasis would be on releasing FX lenses because they, unlike the DX lenses, can be used on both FX and DX cameras. I realize using an FX lens on a DX camera is not optimal use and cost, but it's a reasonable compromise for a couple years when building out a completely new line of lenses.
When I shot the D100 and D300, I used all my exisitng FX lenses except for the 12-24mm which I had to buy to cover the wide focal range. Using FX on DX results in just using the central part of an FX lens - usually the sharpest part of a lens. And it also eliminates the outer edges which on less expensive lenses become soft and IQ diminishes. When I moved to the D700, only the one DX lens needed to be sold.

Will (TrenchMonkey) used a Sigma DX on his bodies and got great results using a 1.2 crop (rather then the DX standard of 1.5). That worked so well for him for the Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 that I got one. I never warmed to it (or vice versa) and now I am all FX.

I seem to remember that your biggest objection was the viewfinder.

That's because his mustache got in the way :D

Latest threads

Top Bottom